Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,557 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The title might have the key words, but I am asking you guys from your opinions.

What is the "legal" difference between a short fixed length stock and an arm brace? I am guessing it is the words "stock" and "brace". Is it really illegal to fire a gun with an arm brace from the shoulder?

·
Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
21,120 Posts
The title might have the key words, but I am asking you guys from your opinions.

What is the "legal" difference between a short fixed length stock and an arm brace? I am guessing it is the words "stock" and "brace". Is it really illegal to fire a gun with an arm brace from the shoulder? .
Don't know, but honestly have you ever seen an ATF officer at the range, where you're gonna shoot it 99.9% of the time. Ain't illegal if you don't get caught.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,023 Posts
Don't know, but honestly have you ever seen an ATF officer at the range, where you're gonna shoot it 99.9% of the time. Ain't illegal if you don't get caught.
I had never seen a Federal Game warden at Turkey Fork but many others had gotten a ticket from him. I guess you're ok with carrying concealed in aprivate posted business also then? If I don't get caught it ain't illegal.

·
Registered
8,431 Posts
a brace has been submitted to the ATF and deemed not a stock. the blade brace I have isn't shorter (depends on where you tighten it down at on the tube), but it is very thin.

ATF also declared or is it decreed? that it's ok to fire a brace from your shoulder.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,023 Posts
But the ATF also has said along the lines, as long as you do not misuse the brace and use it only as intended.

·
21,120 Posts
I had never seen a Federal Game warden at Turkey Fork but many others had gotten a ticket from him. I guess you're ok with carrying concealed in a private posted business also then? If I don't get caught it ain't illegal.
Nope private property rights trumps carry rights.

Reactions: oO_Rogue_Oo

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,023 Posts
From the ATF

These items are intended to improve accuracy by using the operator’s forearm to provide stable support for the AR-type pistol. ATF has previously determined that attaching the brace to a firearm does not alter the classification of the firearm or subject the firearm to National Firearms Act (NFA) control. However, this classification is based upon the use of the device as designed. When the device is redesigned for use as a shoulder stock on a handgun with a rifled barrel under 16 inches in length, the firearm is properly classified as a firearm under the NFA.

·
21,120 Posts
You said it yourself if I don't get caught it wasn't illegal.
You said many times you don't pay attention to the signs anyway, so what's your point?

·
Eat Sleep Guns & Jeep
10,349 Posts
No lawyer, just opinions.

Stock is for a rifle so no go under 16" barrel on rifle. Whether adjustable or fixed.

Brace is good to go. Most have a strap for arm, the shockwave blade does not but it does have loops for you to supply your own.

Like above, as long as no one sees it doesn't matter what you do. Just like folks posting dumb stuff online, if would've just kept calm and carried on and didn't broadcast it to the world.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,023 Posts
You said many times you don't pay attention to the signs anyway, so what's your point?
My point is you said if you don't get caught it isn't illegal. While I know you was just making light of the conversation, I'll hold you to it.
I actually said that I ignore the signs I deem necessary for myself. Not all of them just the ones I choose to. See we all pick and choose the laws we break or follow. None of us are holier than the next. We all break some laws while following the ones we choose to.

·
Premium Member
1,502 Posts

·
Registered
5,706 Posts

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
My point is you said if you don't get caught it isn't illegal. While I know you was just making light of the conversation, I'll hold you to it.
I actually said that I ignore the signs I deem necessary for myself. Not all of them just the ones I choose to. See we all pick and choose the laws we break or follow. None of us are holier than the next. We all break some laws while following the ones we choose to.
Hello Mr. Heinlein.

Reactions: Hoot G

·
I love the smell of blackpowder in the morning!
608 Posts
shoot in or don't. Just don't get caught???????????
Is the answer?

Reactions: rigrat

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,023 Posts
ATF has made at least three different rulings. Rig, I think the one you posted was from 2015. This, the latest, says it's ok to shoulder the brace.

But don't modify the brace, or you may fall afoul of the gov't.

YES, It Is Legal to Shoulder an AR-15 Pistol Equipped with an Arm Brace - The Truth About Guns
@Hoot G Read all the article it says what I said above, but goes on to say its ruling is for just the sig arms brace. And it was wrote January 2015. Maybe you linked the wrong article?

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,023 Posts
"May it please the crown that I shoulder my AR Pistol?"
Geez what have we come to...
We've become a nation of endless laws and regulations that they choose to enforce when they please.

Hello Mr. Heinlein.
Science fiction fantasy was what I liked . This mans writings not really a favorite. J R Tolkien, and Stephen R Donaldson.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts