Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Premium Member
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's that time of year guys, when the carpenter bees and wasps are out in force. I came up with a trick to deal with these beasties years ago and thought I'd share it here. I hit 'em with a 12 gauge shotgun round! Before you recoil in horror, understand that these aren't regular shotgun rounds.

I use my old hulls that are showing signs of splits or are otherwise not optimal for further, normal reloading. Then I load them as follows: I reprime the hulls and then load a less than normal amount of fast pistol or shotgun powder. I cover this with a wad that I modify by shearing off the leaves, leaving a cylindrical plastic plug. Then I top this off with enough sand to just reach the crimp level of the hull. I cover this with a round paper disc and then crimp normally.

(NOTE: I originally starting doing this with table salt - which works fine - but quickly realized that if not cleaned immediately after shooting, it tended to leave small rust spots.)

These are very light recoiling loads and they peter out quickly, making them safe for use in backyards. Note that they are still capable of doing damage, so treat them just as you would any loaded shotgun shell. As an example, I recently shot a carpenter bee that was hovering over an old and rusty bush hog.

I fired downward, understanding that the sand and wad would hit the bush hog, when the muzzle was pointed down at an angle about two feet from the steel deck of the machine. It vaporized the bee and left a small area on the steel that looked like it had been sandblasted. Again, these are not toys and are capable of causing wounds to people or animals at close range.

Generally, unless the bee or wasp is hit by the wad, these rounds don't work much past two or three yards, but they will knock the insect right out of the air inside of that distance. As any of you who've tried it can attest, it's virtually impossible to hit flying bees or wasps in the air with bug spray. The insects react too quickly. They can't react quickly enough to dodge my shotgun sand rounds!

Can these rounds damage your shotgun's bore? I honestly don't know. After shooting scores of these rounds through my old break open shotty I don't notice any bore damage, but I suppose it's possible after firing enough of them. If that's a concern, you might load the shells with table salt or sugar. As I mentioned earlier, the salt tends to rust the bore and sugar - due to our southern Mississippi humidity - can tend to clump after awhile if you leave loaded rounds stored for a significant length of time; your call.

The bottom line is that this method works a treat and perhaps most importantly, is fun!

Best
Doc

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
I bought one of these last year...when it was only $30.
It works good but you have to be fairly close to a wasp to kill it in the first try.
It works great on flies, mosquitoes and spiders.
Bug A-Salt
I've thought about buying one of those. Or trying to get my 3rd burst Umarex BB gun working again. The huge carpenter bees are buzzing all around our eaves. Hey, I think I need to start a thread about the Umarex...

·
Registered
13,170 Posts
I bought one of these last year...when it was only $30.
It works good but you have to be fairly close to a wasp to kill it in the first try.
It works great on flies, mosquitoes and spiders.
Bug A-Salt
My brother has one of those, it’s fun. His golden retriever loves it for the salty squishy sky raisins it leaves for her 🤢

·
Premium Member
1,276 Posts
I've seen where people use walnut tumbling media in
pistol cases. That will flat obliterate a wasp or mason bee.

·
Premium Member
3,919 Posts
I recommend using a flamethrower. It's the best way to deal with wasps.

Reactions: Blondie70

·
Registered
764 Posts
This sounds like a fun way to eradicate the pests. I know the wasps I have are the large red ones, and they are aggressive I have them fly at my face almost every time I mow or do outdoors stuff around the house. I have been spraying Bifen on the perimeter and it has helped, last year they were far fewer than the year before with spraying.

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
I use .22 shot from a 4 inch revolver. Hit maybe 1 in 3 ...fun when you can buy ammo.

Reactions: Doc1

·
Registered
963 Posts
This sounds like a fun way to eradicate the pests. I know the wasps I have are the large red ones, and they are aggressive I have them fly at my face almost every time I mow or do outdoors stuff around the house. I have been spraying Bifen on the perimeter and it has helped, last year they were far fewer than the year before with spraying.
Year before last I had a ton of those red wasps around my deck.
The next year (last spring) I started nuking everyone that started a nest anywhere near my deck. No problems the rest of the year.
Expect to only have to do a little bit this year.

You probably have a pretty good idea the types of places they like to nest, spray and kill them, knock down the nest, and spray those areas with WD-40--it seems to deter them from building there a bit.

·
Don't let "good enough" be the enemy of perfect.
10,870 Posts
My daddy loved to fly fish. He would sometimes fish from a john boat in the upper end of his brother's large farm pond in the woods.

The upper end was shallow and had lots of bushes growing in the shallow water.

Bream loved to live in that area, but wasps would build giant nests in the bushes. Their nests would be as big as a cowboy hat and there would be hundreds of wasps on a nest.

Invariably, Daddy would hang his fly in a bush. He was scared to get up close to retrieve his fly, but if he shook his fly, the wasps would get rowdy.

So from then on he always took his 12-gauge pump with plenty of number 9 bird-shot in the boat with him.

Whenever he saw a wasp nest he would get about 12 feet away and obliterate the nest.

He said that occasionally 1 wasp would fly straight up. But the rest went to wasp heaven.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
37,529 Posts
Shot shells are more fun especially with the annoying carpenter bees.

Reactions: Hoot G and Doc1

·
Premium Member
4,715 Posts
Those things can backfire on you, can't they ?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts