Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a saa revolver in .45. I don't want a $2000 gun that I will be reluctant to shoot, so I'm looking at the Italian clones. I'm wanting a reasonably priced shooter that still looks nice but doesn't have shortfalls where function is concerned. Any knowledge, tips, or suggestions anyone can offer is greatly appreciated since I'm fairly ignorant about wheel-guns in general.

This 4.75" Cimarron Pistolero (made by Uberti) caught my eye. For only 400 bucks you seem to get a LOT of gun. Pretty-looking problem waiting to happen or one of the best values going?

Air gun Trigger Revolver Shotgun Wood

·
Premium Member
1,867 Posts
The Italian Colt clones are good guns. That wasn't always true, but anything made in the past 20+ years is likely to be as good a gun as anything made in the US.

Some have three clicks on cocking, some have the traditional four. If it makes a difference to you, check before you buy. It doesn't seem to make any difference quality-wise, but some folks really want that C-O-L-T sound when they draw the hammer back. I prefer it, but it wouldn't stop me from buying a good deal. I have a Cimarron (Uberti) Bisley 7 1/2" in 38-40, and it's a tack driver.

Check Gunbroker or Buds gunshop or other online places for prices, but $400 sounds like a decent deal to me, if it's new, or like new.

·
Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
24,062 Posts
Never owned one shot a few though, good guns. New $400 is a deal, usually $450-499. Used not so much of a deal.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone! I'm still looking for a 5.5" I like as much as the Pistolero, but I'm buying something!

Hehe, Cimarron also makes Man With No Name and Tuco revolvers. Nice. 🤠 Maybe next time!

·
Premium Member
16,700 Posts
WOAH, @Ellis93 that is a great cartridge belt and holster! I really like it.
Nothing fancy and I like the gun that way cause I’ll shoot it,and have…..plenty. No telling how many handloads I’ve put through it. And most have been full power (not Ruger loads…..but close) 250gn 45 Colt rounds.
Love that little gun.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

·
Registered
317 Posts
If it matters to you (it would to me) ensure this is not one of the new guns with transfer bar safeties.

If a traditional Colt reproduction I wouldn't hesitate to purchase.

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
I've had my eye on a Taylor & Co. (Uberti) in .45LC at the LGS for a while, it's ~$450. Uberti make very nice firearms. Our son has an Uberti M1873 rifle and it is very well made. Wonderful to shoot, just expensive to feed if you don't reload.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
If it matters to you (it would to me) ensure this is not one of the new guns with transfer bar safeties.

If a traditional Colt reproduction I wouldn't hesitate to purchase.
It will most likely be one of the new floating firing pin setups. They have to do some kind of safety to get them imported from what I have read. (Abolish the ATF!) Taylor's & Co. sells a normal hammer and trigger for the Uberti Cattleman, but it may require some fitting, doesn't fit all Ubertii, and would most certainly void any warranty. (if that's important to a fella)

I'm going to use it as-is and see how she runs. If it goes bang every time and It's safe to have all six cylinders full, what's not to like? If it gives me ANY trouble, it goes on the bench for a rework. In this instance, if it ain't broke, I ain't fixin' it!

I'll bet I could turn out a firing pin on a mini lathe, press it in place of the floating one, remove/modify any other crapola in the works, and be done. Maybe! It would still be a three notch gun, though.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I did end up ordering the Cimarron Pistolero. I was hunting an El Malo 2, one of the Taylor's&Co. guns, and several others for a while, but didn't have any luck. Everything is out of stock. They must of had a batch of Pistoleros come in recently because those seem to be available everywhere. .45s in general are harder to find. I'm seeing way more .357, .44, etc. in stock.

I definitely don't feel like I settled on it. It was my first choice to begin with. This revolver is just to get my big toe in the water, anyways.

I've never shot .45 Colt in my lifetime. I can't wait! How does it compare recoil-wise using factory ammo? Is it kind of like shooting .38 special out of a large frame revolver? That's what I'm assuming. I know it's not going to kick like a magnum.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts