Mississippi Gun Owners banner
21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,373 Posts
Sadly - I have learned many lessons over the years ....... one of those is --- "if you really want something - and you find one - you better get it then, not hesitate as it may get gone.... and you may not find another"
I have hesitated on many deals over the years - and missed a lot of them

BUT - I have to recall what my dad told me a long-long time ago, and I have not forgot it --- "nothing is a good deal, regardless of the price, if you really don't need it".
Your milage may vary.........

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Man, I know what you mean. I've passed on items that I thought I would be able to find later, only to be left with my bottom lip run out when I discover there are none to be had. I feel like if I had an endless money supply, that would be less of a problem, lol.

"nothing is a good deal, regardless of the price, if you really don't need it".
I'm betting that 98% of gun purchases by gun enthusiasts don't arise out of need. 🤣 We're just trying to control an addiction!

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Yes, I have to agree.
Reminds me of the old question, supposedly posed by someone's w*fe or a non-gun person. Regardless of how many times the question is posed, the Q&A remain the same.
Q:
"How many guns does a man need?"
A:
"Just one more."
Words of wisdom.
Sounds similar to how many rounds do you need or is enough. I said enough ammo is one more round than you need. Unfortunately, you never know how many you’ll need until it happens. So, keep adding more..

·
Registered
7,642 Posts
Sounds similar to how many rounds do you need or is enough. I said enough ammo is one more round than you need. Unfortunately, you never know how many you’ll need until it happens. So, keep adding more..
There's another question for that situation:
Q:
"How much ammunition do you have to have?"
A:
"Enough that you can get more if you need it."

·
μολὼν λαβέ
40,086 Posts
NO, NO, NO !

Give it to me and I'll buy the gun I want. That way you don't have to fret over whether to or not to.

Reactions: Subsonix

·
Premium Member
16,700 Posts
NO, NO, NO !

Give it to me and I'll buy the gun I want. That way you don't have to fret over whether to or not to.
Oh yeah! Let him do that! It would be in my hands shortly after lol

• Haha
Reactions: rigrat

·
μολὼν λαβέ
40,086 Posts
The gun is $390 new. It comes to $435 with shipping and my local FFL fee. I'm happy with the deal although I'd be happier if I actually had it in my hands. Come on FEDEX!
Where did you order it from Good price on that one.

You can get the newer floating firing pin or the non floating firing pin ones the old Colts. I've got a pair of Vaquero's and now a 1858 cap and ball with a 45 conversion cylinder.

·
Registered
960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Where did you order it from Good price on that one.
I got it from Battlehawk Armory. A few different places had it around that price, but I've used Battlehawk a bunch of times in the past for accessories.

They seem to be one of those companies that ship directly from distributor warehouses and they have a bunch of silly policies, no order cancellation, high return fees, etc. because they don't warehouse and ship the items themselves. It's just the nature of that type of business structure. I doubt the customer service would be very good or fast if you ever had a problem. The trade off of their lower overhead is lower prices. FWIW, I've ordered from them a dozen times or so and they have been great every time. Your order can often get split up into multiple shipments because the stuff comes from all over. Sometimes I get shipments the next day and sometimes it's two weeks.

You have to be careful how you shop regarding shipping. Adding one small item can change the shipping by $25. Sometimes you can add ten items and the shipping never changes. It depends on where each item is warehoused. It helps that sometimes one item may be in multiple warehouses. You have to add an item, check shipping, and then move it to a wishlist for a later order or keep it in your cart depending on if the shipping goes bananas or not. On your next order, grab some of the stuff from the wishlist and see what happens with shipping. Usually, I can get those items included in the next order or two without crazy shipping bumps.

It takes some strategy, some patience, and you better be damn sure you need what you order and you are ordering the right thing. They have good prices, but there's no free lunch.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
40,086 Posts
LOL, need ? That hardly ever plays into my gun purchases.

Thanks will check them out. I am always looking for inexpensive places to purchase from.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
I did end up ordering the Cimarron Pistolero. I was hunting an El Malo 2, one of the Taylor's&Co. guns, and several others for a while, but didn't have any luck. Everything is out of stock. They must of had a batch of Pistoleros come in recently because those seem to be available everywhere. .45s in general are harder to find. I'm seeing way more .357, .44, etc. in stock.

I definitely don't feel like I settled on it. It was my first choice to begin with. This revolver is just to get my big toe in the water, anyways.

I've never shot .45 Colt in my lifetime. I can't wait! How does it compare recoil-wise using factory ammo? Is it kind of like shooting .38 special out of a large frame revolver? That's what I'm assuming. I know it's not going to kick like a magnum.
The ,45C is a very diverse round. Loaded for Cowboy loads it‘s very light, more than a .38, but enjoyable. You can also load them up to P+ and take down small game. I have 2 El Malos; a model 1860 Iron Frame Henry; an 1873 rifle and a Marlin 1894 Cowboy Special all chambered in .45C and enjoy them all. To round out the herd I’ve also got 3 1858 Remington NMAs; 2 Ruger OMAs both Cap and Ball in .44; a model 1887 lever action 12ga; a couple of 12ga SxSs. The newest addition coming from my gunsmith is an original Winchester model 1901 lever action shotgun, made in 1907, in 10ga. I guess it’s easy to see I like my cowboy guns.

We’re starting up a new cowboy action club here on the Gulf Coast, we shoot the first Saturday of the month, come out and check it out.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Cimarron is in Texas, and they have guns made to their specs in Italy. My New Frontier model is a Pieta. It has a tuned 3.5 lb trigger. Someone mentioned the safety pin. These guns are nearly exact copies of colt, so I ordered a Colt cylinder pin and swapped it out. The “safety” pin is simply made longer and receivers are drilled all the way through so if you push pin all the way in, it serves as a hammer block. take it out, toss it and order proper pin. Colt copyright is on the receivers.
I like the gun, it feels and shoots like a Colt, and yes 4 clicks. 👍

**It's the cylinder pin I'm referring to.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
40,086 Posts
The ,45C is a very diverse round. Loaded for Cowboy loads it‘s very light, more than a .38, but enjoyable. You can also load them up to P+ and take down small game. I have 2 El Malos; a model 1860 Iron Frame Henry; an 1873 rifle and a Marlin 1894 Cowboy Special all chambered in .45C and enjoy them all. To round out the herd I’ve also got 3 1858 Remington NMAs; 2 Ruger OMAs both Cap and Ball in .44; a model 1887 lever action 12ga; a couple of 12ga SxSs. The newest addition coming from my gunsmith is an original Winchester model 1901 lever action shotgun, made in 1907, in 10ga. I guess it’s easy to see I like my cowboy guns.

We’re starting up a new cowboy action club here on the Gulf Coast, we shoot the first Saturday of the month, come out and check it out.
You got some keepers there. I really like my 1858 revolver, and learning to like the Vaquero's. Doubles have always been a favorite of mine from the one I owned back in the Marines. The 1860 Henry and the 73 I'd love to get one day. I have always liked the looks of the old 1860 Henry's. And always wanted to shoot a 10 gauge, but might not like it after 1 shot, LOL. Hate I didn't buy the double you had for sale while back.
Got my order of APP and got some cartridge's loaded with APP so think I'll shoot Frontier Cartridge next time and see some smoke roll.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
You got some keepers there. I really like my 1858 revolver, and learning to like the Vaquero's. Doubles have always been a favorite of mine from the one I owned back in the Marines. The 1860 Henry and the 73 I'd love to get one day. I have always liked the looks of the old 1860 Henry's. And always wanted to shoot a 10 gauge, but might not like it after 1 shot, LOL. Hate I didn't buy the double you had for sale while back.
Got my order of APP and got some cartridge's loaded with APP so think I'll shoot Frontier Cartridge next time and see some smoke roll.
If you’re still looking for a slicked up Stoeger let me know. I wouldn’t use it with store bought full power loads, but I never use full power for CAS. I’ve been using it with BP and it runs fine.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
40,086 Posts
Thanks for the offer. I got the hammer double for now. I just chopped it to 19.5" and re-beaded it. Bent the opening lever enough I can now cock the hammers for staging. I'd really like to get another cap n ball revolver, but I'm having to back up and evaluate what I have to have to shoot. I'm to the point where I need to buy some components. Primers, shot, hulls, wads the ever elusive caps that don't require a pot of gold to purchase, LOL. Right now I'm using the 1858 with a conversion cylinder.

LOL, decisions, decisions.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts