Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
15,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Figured this belonged in Concealed Carry rather than Political.

Lot's went wrong in this police encounter Saturday. Guy ended up dead, neighborhood near riot, etc. Body cam video here: Chicago Sun-Times on Twitter . Pics at the link. My bold below.

Excerpt:

Authorities identify man fatally shot by CPD officer in South Shore

Authorities have identified a man who was fatally shot Saturday afternoon during a confrontation with a Chicago Police officer in the South Shore neighborhood.

About 5:30 p.m., officers on foot saw “a man exhibiting characteristics of an armed person” in the 2000 block of East 71st Street and a “confrontation” ensued when they tried to question him, CPD spokesman Anthony Guglielmi tweeted.

An officer then opened fire, striking 37-year-old Harith Augustus, according to Guglielmi and Frank Shuftan, a spokesman for Cook County Board President Toni Preckwinkle. Augustus was taken to Jackson Park Hospital and pronounced dead at 5:50 p.m.

He lived in the South Shore neighborhood, less than a mile from where he was killed, Shuftan said. An autopsy was scheduled for Sunday.

·
Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
20,320 Posts
officers on foot saw “a man exhibiting characteristics of an armed person” in the 2000 block of East 71st Street and a “confrontation” ensued when they tried to question him, CPD spokesman Anthony Guglielmi tweeted.
His gun was printing?

·
μολὼν λαβέ
35,936 Posts
Thought guns was illegal there and CCW was virtually impossible to get permission?

Reactions: Blondie70

·
Premium Member
27,266 Posts
Was he going for his wallet & ID, drawing his weapon, or trying to dump it?

I guess we won't be asking him anytime soon …

I seriously doubt that he had a Illinois/Chicago-required CCW permit and FOID card to be lawfully carrying. But I could be wrong …

Posted in the updated OP link now:

"No officers were hurt, and a weapon was recovered at the scene along with several magazines of ammunition, Gugliemi said. Augustus didn’t have a valid FOID card or a concealed carry license."

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
It would be a shame if he as being hassled for no reason other than the suspicion of being armed. This is still America not East Germany.

However, he didn't get shot just for being armed. He handled the situation like an idiot and it cost him his life. Play stupid games. Win stupid prizes.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
Haven’t had a chance to watch the baby cam footage yet, but a report on talk radio said he was non compliant, attempted to flee and appeared to reach for a weapon. If all of that is true, then yes, he handled the situation terribly and paid the price for it. If not, then those responsible for his death should be held accountable and prosecuted to the fulllest extent of the law. That said, this is yet another example of the problems we have here in the USA regarding the media and the truth. Rioting erupted over reports that police shot and killed an “unarmed” black man in Chicago. Why? Because The Court of Public Opinion is too swift to pass judgement and is easily swayed by what it hears and sees. Fuel that eagerness judge with misinformation and half truths from Social Media outlets and the MSM’s policy of Ratings First Truth Later (maybe) and you get this kind of reaction. It’s is the responsibility of a fair and balanced media to report verifiable FACT. Not assumptions, rumors, suspicions or anything else. Unfortunately, the MSM is more worried about pushing an agenda than being fair and balanced.

Reactions: eric3713

·
MSGO Court Jester
38,008 Posts
Looked to be a good shoot to me. He was non-compliant, obviously armed, and was drawing said weapon as he attempted to flee, then turned around and was in the process of trying to get his weapon pointing at the officer with the body cam when he was shot.

chicago.jpg

chicago1.jpg
chicago2.jpg
chicago3.jpg
Chicago4.jpg
chicago5.jpg

·
Registered
15,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
It would be a shame if he as being hassled for no reason other than the suspicion of being armed. This is still America not East Germany.

However, he didn't get shot just for being armed. He handled the situation like an idiot and it cost him his life. Play stupid games. Win stupid prizes.
Ahh, NO. This was South Shore Chicago (in the 2018 list of Top 15 Deadliest Hoods according to 2018 Stats | Chicago Murder, Crime & Mayhem | HeyJackass! ), Not America. ;):rolleyes:

I'd be willing to bet that at least half the residents are armed regardless of Chicago laws.

ETA:
But yeah, the corpse could have easily avoided being a corpse.

On the other hand, him being stopped in the first place would never have happened in MS or many other States/Cities. So who's really at fault here?:hmm:

·
Premium Member
27,266 Posts
Looked to be a good shoot to me. He was non-compliant, obviously armed, and was drawing said weapon as he attempted to flee, then turned around and was in the process of trying to get his weapon pointing at the officer with the body cam when he was shot.

View attachment 88211
View attachment 88213 View attachment 88215 View attachment 88217 View attachment 88219 View attachment 88221
Thanks. I wasn't able to capture and copy those images from the cam footage that I watched.

The video/picture evidence didn't and won't make any difference to the folks in the hood though.

·
MSGO Court Jester
38,008 Posts
Thanks. I wasn't able to capture and copy those images from the cam footage that I watched.

The video/picture evidence didn't and won't make any difference to the folks in the hood though.
You're welcome.

And you're right. They will use any little excuse to riot so they can steal stuff and destroy other stuff. It ain't about an injustice, even when there is one. There isn't one in this case. Idjit was surrounded by cops and thought he could shoot his way out. Typical street mentality.

I'd be interested to know if he has a record and what it was.

·
Registered
15,428 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You're welcome.

And you're right. They will use any little excuse to riot so they can steal stuff and destroy other stuff. It ain't about an injustice, even when there is one. There isn't one in this case. Idjit was surrounded by cops and thought he could shoot his way out. Typical street mentality.

I'd be interested to know if he has a record and what it was.
There's an update at the original link.

Augustus wasn’t a documented gang member and had no recent arrest history, Guglielmi said.

He was charged with two misdemeanor counts of battery and a misdemeanor count of marijuana possession in three separate incidents over a decade ago, according to Cook County court records. He wasn’t convicted in any of the cases.

Reactions: patchz

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
So.... He wasn't a gang member (that we know of). He had no serious arrest record to speak of. He didn't seem to be committing any serious crime at the time (other than ignoring Chicago's crazy gun laws).

This means that Augustus is dead for no reason other than he was a raging moron who couldn't follow instructions. That's an embarrassing way to check out.

·
Premium Member
27,266 Posts
So.... He wasn't a gang member (that we know of). He had no serious arrest record to speak of. He didn't seem to be committing any serious crime at the time (other than ignoring Chicago's crazy gun laws).

This means that Augustus is dead for no reason other than he was a raging moron who couldn't follow instructions. That's an embarrassing way to check out.
Resistance-is-futile-Picard-Borg.jpg

And deadly. At least in Chicago!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts