Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My reloads that worked in 3 different guns with no issue blew the extractor out of a brand new sig m18. It wasn’t bad, just a hairline crack above the rim and a little smoke afterwards. I was loaded at plus p pressure using hs6 oal 1.130 7gr. With an hst 124 gr. I’ve shot many out of 2 of my guns and one of my friends guns. Velocity out of my czp07 was 1180-1200. Started with factory ammo in the m18 fired about 5 rounds then went to reloads fired 2 inspected brass looked good 3rd round light primer strike (tossed that round to the side) next round it happened. Did some searching and found this. Sig P320 X5 Case Separation and Extractor Loss
Oh and before anyone says double charge or anything it was a hairline crack and I double check all charges and each one is weighed on a balance beam and sometimes a digital scale to verify nothing has changed. My load was also definitely on the hot side. Over max charge in books but loaded longer and quick loads had it at plus p. I was on the edge of that fine line. Charges where 7gr hs6 and if different where a tenth lower at 6.9. I feel with the light primer strike it was out of battery when this happened. All rounds passed the plunk twist test. Now I’m questioning if I should pull the last 200 rnds and reduce charge. Fired total of 300 of the five I made before this happened. Used hs6 due to its lower pressures since I was pushing it. As far as the m18 a new extractor is on the way. I won’t be chasing velocity anymore. Just wanted to share with everyone and I’m open to being roasted lol.

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Glad to hear that you were not injured. I have noticed I can fire hot +P (and then some) in my Glocks with no issue but I can certainly feel the difference in my other pistols. That is exactly the opposite of what I thought would be the case.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I run 6.2 Gr of HS-6 under 124 Gr bullets in my 320-X5's and have had no issues. I had the same sort of thing happen with a Ruger American Duty Pro, 3rd round out of a White Box Winchester fired out of battery, bent the slide. Ruger said it couldn't happen. I sent the gun and the blown case to them. They replaced the gun, no questions or haggling.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Glad to hear that you were not injured. I have noticed I can fire hot +P (and then some) in my Glocks with no issue but I can certainly feel the difference in my other pistols. That is exactly the opposite of what I thought would be the case.
[/QUOTE
I run 6.2 Gr of HS-6 under 124 Gr bullets in my 320-X5's and have had no issues. I had the same sort of thing happen with a Ruger American Duty Pro, 3rd round out of a White Box Winchester fired out of battery, bent the slide. Ruger said it couldn't happen. I sent the gun and the blown case to them. They replaced the gun, no questions or haggling.
Glad you’re ok sir! Curious as to what brass and how many reloads on it?
It was once fired or should have been. Hornady nickel plated.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts