Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My aunt just picked up a used Sig P290 at the local pawn shop. Traded in her LCR and got it ~$150 out the door, with a holster. As I’m the resident family “Gun nut”, she’s asked me to take it to the range to function test it, clean it up and let her know what I think. I’ve no experience with small, polymer, DAO Sigs and was hoping someone here may be able to educate me a little. Anything I should be looking for? I’ve read a little about some issues with the 1st models having light hammer strikes?? Any info or advise would be welcome. She’s nursing a wrist injury in her shooting hand and so it’ll be a couple of weeks before I’m able to take her to the range to shoot it.

Reactions: 94LEVERFAN

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hey Chris, I haven't owned a P290 but I have shot one several times. The only issues I have heard from owners of the gun are these:

1) Difficult to disassemble. You have to hold the slide back and remove the pin and everyone has told me the pin is difficult to remove.
2) As with any small pistol, those of us with big paws need the 8 round extended mag to get a good feeling with the grip.
3) Getting used to the double action trigger pull. I have owned and carried a P250, which has the same DAO trigger, for years and love it. It does take getting used to. For me, the best way to shoot is to "stage" the trigger. With practice it becomes natural to pull the trigger to a point where there is very little travel remaining, hold that position, and then squeeze to fire. I worked with my daughter on my P250 (357 SIG) and she mastered this in no time, and was very accurate on the range.

I personally prefer the DAO over the striker pistols. The P290 has true double strike capability in case of light strikes, but the time I have spent on the range with my friend that has one, I have never seen it fail to fire because of a light strike.

Keep in mind this advice is valued at the cost you paid for it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I owned the Bronze slide version for awhile. little heavy for such a small gun. Mine had the long DAO pull, but very smooth (it does stack at one point where you can hold it). Only problem I had was ammo. It hated Winchester White box (stove piped many times), it had no problem with defensive rounds. Racking the slide is pretty tough and as mentioned breaking it down is no fun. Never had a problem with light primer strikes. With all that being said, for $150 (great deal), once you get used to the trigger it is a tack driver, with surprisingly not a lot of recoil due to the weight of the slide. side note, not sure where you are located, I'm in the rez/flowood area, but i have a little kydex IWB holster you are welcome to have if I can find it.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts