Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure where to post this question but here goes (Moderator if this is in the wrong forum please move it)....

As I've gotten older as with most of us my eye sight has changed which has changed the prescription on my glasses. I've been wearing bifocals for a while but since this new prescription and changing to progressive lenses I can't aim with both eyes open, my sight picture has changed. I used to be able to focus on the front sight, now to clearly see the front sight I would have to hold my head back so I'm looking through the bottom part of my glasses. Well besides looking weird it's not practical in a real life scenario.

Does anyone else have this problem?
:thanx:

·
Premium Member
3,920 Posts
I've run into the same problem. My brother found some shooting glasses that have the reader part on the top, and he said that helped him out. I've been considering getting some myself. I don't remember the brand, but I'll ask him.

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
I started using these https://www.amazon.com/Hydrotac-Bif...ocphy=9013798&hvtargid=pla-434636211514&psc=1. , stuck the lens to the upper nner corner of my dominant shooting eye. Worked pretty well but had to move my head around to see. Decided I wanted something better. So I measured the distance from. My dominant eye to the front sight of my pistol, and had a prescription made at the optometrist to focus on the front sight at that distance. My left eye was just general prescription. NOt the cheapest solution but it works great. This is obviously just for use on the range. I can still see well enough to shoot without that lens but it makes it so much better when I use it.

Prescription Shooting Glasses - What a Difference!

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
I started using these https://www.amazon.com/Hydrotac-Bif...ocphy=9013798&hvtargid=pla-434636211514&psc=1. , stuck the lens to the upper nner corner of my dominant shooting eye. Worked pretty well but had to move my head around to see. Decided I wanted something better. So I measured the distance from. My dominant eye to the front sight of my pistol, and had a prescription made at the optometrist to focus on the front sight at that distance. My left eye was just general prescription. NOt the cheapest solution but it works great. This is obviously just for use on the range. I can still see well enough to shoot without that lens but it makes it so much better when I use it.

Prescription Shooting Glasses - What a Difference!

·
Premium Member
1,272 Posts
Dang don’t know how that happened. Sorry.

·
Registered
16,395 Posts
Everyone is going to be different. Best suggestion is to talk to your optometrist about it, and get the best optically pure lenses you can find. Make sure you tell the people where you buy them what they are for. That's what I did.

Also if you shoot rifle, you'll be better off not wearing your prescription glasses if you use a scope. Just use the scope focus instead. :)

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
Same old eye problem for me, plus astigmatism. Put a reflex type red dot on all my pistols (Burris FastfireIII), including carry gun. Works well, even though dot looks a little out of round. Accuracy is good enough to shoot steel challenge and defensive drills.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I don't shoot a lot, just enough to stay in practice with my carry pistol, and when trying out an occasional new purchase etc... I just try to adapt the best I can with my progressive bifocals. If I ever have to shoot for my life(God forbid), I won't have any special eyewear on, so I don't want to get used to shooting with any.
I did buy a set of these sights for my G19. The big orange ball up front plus the tritium helps a lot.
https://www.amazon.com/AmeriGlo-Pro-IDOT-Glock-17-Orange/dp/B004YY2T4I

·
Registered
7,064 Posts
I have the same issue. It's really bad with my long guns. I've accepted I'll never be an expert marksman again. With my handguns, I can still shoot to center mass, even with my progressives. I'll just never be a bullseye shooter.

·
Registered
16,395 Posts
If I ever have to shoot for my life(God forbid)
Why is this phrase so common? I see it a lot, but have never understood the logic for it. Seems to me that whatever deity one subscribes to, that a necessary action would be acceptable to that deity. If that weren't the case then what would be the justification for self defense and religious wars? Every religion (ancient and modern) always invokes some deity to justify whatever. Even Jim Jones did. :hmm:

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Why is this phrase so common? I see it a lot, but have never understood the logic for it. Seems to me that whatever deity one subscribes to, that a necessary action would be acceptable to that deity. If that weren't the case then what would be the justification for self defense and religious wars? Every religion (ancient and modern) always invokes some deity to justify whatever. Even Jim Jones did. :hmm:
This was said meaning "I hope this situation never happens"......that's all, nothing more

·
Registered
16,395 Posts
This was said meaning "I hope this situation never happens"......that's all, nothing more
I understand that, but doesn't that fit in the Christian prohibition about taking the Lords name in vain? Serious question.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
I understand that, but doesn't that fit in the Christian prohibition about taking the Lords name in vain? Serious question.
Thank you for your concern about me Gene. I do understand where you are coming from. I don't think it would be an act of taking the Lord's name in vain. I'm not using God's name as a cuss word. The thought I was trying to make was: God forbid - "God please don't let this situation happen." That's all, but I sincerely appreciate your question. It may help me to use a different expression in the future...I will consider your questions. I would encourage more questions, and even a discussion via phone if possible if you have more questions and would like to discuss Christianity. I'm no expert on the Bible, but I can tell you my journey and what has been revealed to me. If there's something I can't answer I'll say so and maybe we can see what the Bible says about it. PM me your #, or if you want mine.

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
I have had the same complex problem for some years
now with focal plane focus issues, luckily my personal
ophthalmologist is a master class IPSC shooter himself
and I suspect most of you know him already and his
suggestion was a set of Rx glasses with the distance
and close areas of the bifocals reversed and this works
great at the range and I can see well enough with the
regular bifocals to hit center mass anyway so I'm good
to go.

So as not to violate someone's privacy here, anyone who
would like to know who my Opthalmologist's name, just
PM me and I'll share it and his contact information with
you to keep it out of a public arena.

·
Premium Member
678 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. I agree with everyone that I could use glasses that could help, but as Jeff700 said I don't want to use something that I wouldn't have on in everyday situations. You see I carry because I was already in an Al Qaeda terrorist shooting wear 5 of my friends were killed. We were all unarmed and I swore that I would never be caught in that situation again. So for me shooting is a very real life scenario that I want to be prepared for at any time, any place.

·
Registered
16,395 Posts
Thank you for your concern about me Gene. I do understand where you are coming from. I don't think it would be an act of taking the Lord's name in vain. I'm not using God's name as a cuss word. The thought I was trying to make was: God forbid - "God please don't let this situation happen." That's all, but I sincerely appreciate your question. It may help me to use a different expression in the future...I will consider your questions. I would encourage more questions, and even a discussion via phone if possible if you have more questions and would like to discuss Christianity. I'm no expert on the Bible, but I can tell you my journey and what has been revealed to me. If there's something I can't answer I'll say so and maybe we can see what the Bible says about it. PM me your #, or if you want mine.
Thanks for taking it seriously. But, no need for further discussion. I've studied and/or participated in many religions besides the various Christian faiths/denominations, including those that preceded modern faiths, as far back as possible. :)

I'm not challenging anyone's beliefs - everyone is welcome to believe what they want, whether some Christian sect, Hindu, Buddist, Animist, Satanist, Atheist, monotheist or polytheist, or whatever; but I long ago abandoned any association with any such belief systems.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
Thanks for taking it seriously. But, no need for further discussion. I've studied and/or participated in many religions besides the various Christian faiths/denominations, including those that preceded modern faiths, as far back as possible. :)

I'm not challenging anyone's beliefs - everyone is welcome to believe what they want, whether some Christian sect, Hindu, Buddist, Animist, Satanist, Atheist, monotheist or polytheist, or whatever; but I long ago abandoned any association with any such belief systems.
Yes sir, if you change your mind I'm available.

Reactions: Quickeye
1 - 20 of 25 Posts