Free Silica Gel

Discussion in 'Pay it Forward' started by phillipl8, May 10, 2018.

1. phillipl8

phillipl8 Full Poster

I have quite a bit of this stuff. I am in Tupelo.

IMG_4844[1].JPG

2. Arms Lister

Arms Lister Glocks beat Rocks

3. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

Why?

maxhush likes this.
  4. TheBouncer1111

TheBouncer1111 Distinguished Poster

death by dehydration comes to mind....

mascott and Chicknman like this.
  5. Cliff731

Cliff731 Danged ole' Hermit...

If it can be dried out, so to speak (in an oven)... these would be handy for someone to toss into their gun safe!

bucmeister, rigrat, maxhush and 3 others like this.
  6. HerrZnk

HerrZnk Distinguished Poster

Yes, can they be dried (reactivated)? If so I'd like to make arrangements to pick them up or have someone run a pony express- I'd put up gas money.
    I have to use these a lot in our safes & closets, storage containers, as we live in an old farmhouse that is not exactly airtight, so the humidity is high, even with A/C and heat going.

rigrat, maxhush, Chicknman and 2 others like this.
  7. Cliff731

HerrZnk... did you enlarge the photo of those bags and read the labels on them?

Looks to be printed in German language to me... might give a clue to exactly what's inside them... and hopefully it's a desiccant compound that can be reactivated. :)

rigrat, maxhush, HerrZnk and 2 others like this.
  8. phillipl8

phillipl8 Full Poster

HerrZnk as far as I know, they can be dried. How many would you want and where are you located?

I have more than what is pictured.

rigrat, maxhush, Chicknman and 2 others like this.
  9. Cliff731

Phillipl8... I cannot speak for HerrZnk... but his post sounded like he could use all you have available!!!

As far as I know, HerrZnk is located in south Mississippi... Pike County area???

maxhush, SLBcmtr and Chicknman like this.
  10. Mesquite

Mesquite Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Phillip18, if theres sufficient bags for HerrZnk I'd would like 2/3 bags.
    I would say Mule all together & I'd meet HerrZnk later if he's agreeable. I'm located on Coast.

rigrat, Chicknman and Cliff731 like this.
  11. TwangBanger

TwangBanger Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

@phillipl8 , I could use 4 bags. I have 2 safes, and that way I could keep a bag in each safe, and a spare bag to rotate them out.

I live on the Coast as well, but we have several members who often travel statewide.

12. HerrZnk

I could use 4-6. I am in Walthall County, about as far to the SW from Tupelo as you can get! I w*rk during the week in Brookhaven. We'll see what can be arranged. School will be out in about 3 weeks so I might even make a road trip, and I could "pony" some for the rest who want them.

rigrat, Cliff731 and TwangBanger like this.
  13. HerrZnk

I enlarged it, you are correct; "TROCKENMITTEL" means 'dessicant', next lines say 'as protection from damage due to humidity'. Manufactured by a chemical company in Goslar, Germany!

rigrat and Cliff731 like this.
  14. HerrZnk

Well if you become of anyone headed up NE MS, I'll contribute some of the gas money for a "pony" run.

rigrat likes this.
  15. Quickeye

Quickeye Vietnam&PersianGulf Wars MSGO Supporter

Great for slugs in the garden too!

16. phillipl8

phillipl8 Full Poster

Let me know. I could stuff a large flat rate box if that would work. Postage is $15 - 20 I think

rigrat likes this.
  17. Redlick83

Redlick83 Distinguished Poster

Starkville
    Ill take 3-4. I’m located in Starkville.

rigrat likes this.
  18. maxhush

maxhush Distinguished Poster

NW MS
    Because the little tag says so? Actually, there are different grades of the stuff, a food grade and the other grades. As I recall some of the the non-food grades can be treated with something in addition to silica. But, aside from everything else, would you want to chow down on something likely to have with the consistency and flavor of sand that's drier than saltines and less tasty? It is quite literally not food, unless you happen to be a silicon based alien lifeform...hmmm...
    :hmm:

I know eating the (promoted as environmentally friendly since you can just soak them with water and they disintegrate to a paste) starch foam packing peanuts (early on some people were sometimes using them as dog treats o_O ) is a very bad idea because they can be treated with an insecticide (poison) to keep bugs from eating/infesting them.

rigrat and Cliff731 like this.
  19. phillipl8

phillipl8 Full Poster

Let me know when you would like to get.

bucmeister likes this.