Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Seeker of wisdom & Purveyor of the truth!
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I am looking for a EASY wipe on wipe off product that will simply give wooden furniture (rifles/shotguns) a good cleaning.

Don't want to take away too much essential elements that would be needed for longevity. but esp do not want add any oils or something that may damage or change the patina.

I feel sure they are many type strippers and sanding practices and refurbish techniques, not looking for that information.
:thanx:

·
Seeker of wisdom & Purveyor of the truth!
676 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Murphy's oil soap. WalMart, Dollar General.
Thank you, I was not sure if there were any downfalls to using that on gun furniture.

·
Registered
9,625 Posts
When somebody brought in a particularly dirty gun for a cleaning the stocks were usually equally grimy. I normally just used a little soapy water on a rag and on a toothbrush (for the checkering) to clean them, then followed with a soft dry towel to dry them. Never seemed to hurt the finish on an oil based finish or on the modern epoxy finishes. If any finish was missing or chipped, I would touch them up as usual with a similar finish.

·
Premium Member
6,229 Posts
In a bind years ago, I have used spray/foam can of Pledge. If there is ground in dirt in the checkering, you can take a little bit of that soapy water and a old tooth brush to clean. The company that makes Flitz polish for cleaning brass and bluing. They also make a wax. If you hunt in bad weather, it would be a good idea to remove the stock and put a little wax inside stock to help avoid the stock warping/swelling enough to change point of impact on rifles.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts