Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I guess everyone knows the 1903 Springfield was more or less copied from the 1898 Mauser but the Springfield had an advantage I'd forgotten till it forced itself on me on the line today.

Mauser actions, including 1903 Springfields have the famous claw extractor for controlled feeding as opposed to push feeding in most nearly all modern sporting rifles. In this type action as the bolt is moved forward a case is stripped off the magazine and the rim is caught between the bolt and the extractor as it is pushed into the chamber. Today, most likely due to sloppy bolt manipulation a round wound up in front of the extractor and I wedged it pretty good in the chamber. I shucked the bolt back and rapped the but on concrete a couple times and the round fell out, no big deal, I wasn't in combat.

The difference is had I done that with a 1903 Springfield I could have kept on shooting because the extractor is designed to snap over the rim if need be. Let's hear it for yankee ingenuity over German engineering!

Bonus trivia question. The Ordinance board mandated to John Garand that the M1 rifle had to have the ability to be manually re-cocked in case of a misfire without opening the bolt. How was this done? It's not in FM23-5 nor in the booklet from the CMP so don't waste time reading those.

· Registered
5,000 Posts
Okay, guys, I trust you to exercise restraint when you answer this...EXACTLY where do I need to stick it? And do I need to wiggle it or something once it's in there?

· Premium Member
16,404 Posts
Looking at the right side of the Garand, just forward and down from the back sight adjustment knob, you will see an opening (the slot). If the hammer is fired you will see the hammer in the slot. With the tip of a bayonet you can (carefully) cock the hammer.

Something else I need to show you Shoe................ :)

· Registered
5,371 Posts
I don't think the 1903 extractor system is an advantage. The Mauser extractor from 1896-1898 was designed to prevent double loading. All the cartridges were to be put into the magazine and fed through the magazine only. The rifles were to be loaded only with 5 shot stripper clips.

The upside of this was during combat, a single loaded round would not get into the chamber and a round loading from the magazine would not set off the round in the chamber by the spitzer bullet striking the primer. This would be a catastrophic event. The Mauser system is superior.

Our 1903 was made with a cutoff. This would make the rifle a single shot with the magazine held in reserve. There were actually MIlls Patent cartridge belts made with loops to carry .30-03 and .30-06 ammo for the single loading feature. By the time of WW1 the single load feature was never used.

Doug

· Registered
4,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Doug Bowser said:
I don't think the 1903 extractor system is an advantage. The Mauser extractor from 1896-1898 was designed to prevent double loading. All the cartridges were to be put into the magazine and fed through the magazine only. The rifles were to be loaded only with 5 shot stripper clips.

The upside of this was during combat, a single loaded round would not get into the chamber and a round loading from the magazine would not set off the round in the chamber by the spitzer bullet striking the primer. This would be a catastrophic event. The Mauser system is superior.

Our 1903 was made with a cutoff. This would make the rifle a single shot with the magazine held in reserve. There were actually MIlls Patent cartridge belts made with loops to carry .30-03 and .30-06 ammo for the single loading feature. By the time of WW1 the single load feature was never used.

Doug
Had it been my 03, I'd have been able to continue firing. Had I not realized what happened I could have pulled the bolt back and tried to shove a loaded round into the back of the already chambered round. Mauser's aren't foolproof.

On edit: All rounds were loaded from stripper clips.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.