Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I found these pictures online

and immediately decided that I need at least one ridiculously massive .357, just because!

From what I've dug up this is a "slab sided" revolver, which are either custom jobs or Dan Wesson PPC's primarily used for... PPC Competitions. Haven't been able to find a Dan Wesson PPC for sale for a reasonable price, but it looks like I can build one off of a Dan Wesson 15-2 frame. So, I have a couple questions:

What do yall know about the PPC? Good guns, reliable, or are they just overly impractical and trouble-ridden?

Same for the .357 Dan Wesson 15-2, what are yall's impressions? As much as I'd like to build one of these monsters from a 15-2, if the base gun is a terrible shooter then it wouldn't be worth it.

And last but not least, does anyone know the best place for me to find a .357 DW 15-2 that has a decent frame for a good price? Gunbroker lists a couple, but I don't have much of a budget left because of christmas and so am trying to keep the cost of this project as low as I can.

Thanks!

· Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
28,002 Posts
If you start with a good base revolver, that's reliable you're not going to make unreliable buy adding a barrel and an Aristocrat sight unless you got a really bad gunsmith to do it. You ought to be able to find a used S&W PPC revolver at a reasonable price, nothing against Dan Wesson, fine guns, just more S&Ws out there. Maybe a used Bill Davis PPC gun or Clark? Don't know how much they sell for now days a buddy had Davis S&W PPC years ago he only paid $200 used so they are probably $1000 used now :lol4:
I wouldn't want a PPC gun as a carry gun, weighs more than a tank. If you really just like the looks of a PPC revolver a S&W 686 with a 6" barrel would come close.

· Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
28,002 Posts

· Premium Member
16,415 Posts
I too would look for a S&W PPC gun. If you buy/build one with a 357 Mag cylinder, you will ONLY want to shoot 38 Spl in it. The match barrel and sight system will not hold up to repeated 357 loads.

These are finely tuned target guns, not "bad-ass" hand-cannons.......

· Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for all the info! Hmm, didn't realize they were such specific pistols, was kinda hoping for an overcompensating, impractical hand cannon. Maybe I'll just have to wait it out and get a 6" chiappa rhino.

· Super Moderator
9,721 Posts
well i mean there is nothing stopping you from building one and shooting magnum loads out of it. just remember that the forcing cone is prone to cracking when you use +p or mag loads.. heck you could hunt with one if you want

· Registered
1,118 Posts
Ahem.. I would like to respond to this thread and then some...

Just a few posts down is this photo:

Those are my Dan Wesson .357's. I had had the top one out at the Magnolia R&P range a few times. I have about 2000 rounds through her this year and about 10 times that total since I bought it in 1986. To be sure mostly .38 target loads (cant afford to too many magnums).

Yes, DW are more rare esp the model 15-2 as I have, however, CZ is bringing them back this year. They have only ever been made in the US, specifically in one of three plants ( Monson MA, Palmer MA, and Norwich NY). They are tough, durable, and extremely accurate. They were very popular with IHMSA shooting. I had the gun smith at Surplus Cityy in Clinton MS tweak mine .. just a little. Nothing as to make it finicky to shoot or fussy about primers. Model 15-2 are EASY to work on. ANY decent smith can clean up a model 15. I routinely take mine down for a good scrubbing.

I keep seeing warnings about forcing cones and what loads to use or not use. None of that applies to a DW. I have yet to hear a worn out or cracked DW barrel... of course if one did, 60 seconds and $50 and I am good as new.

Now for the FUN part... you and I met up, I let you try MY DW with the slab barrel and the VH ( vented heavy) with both 1/12 and 1/16 twist barrels with any load you want to bring .. bring on the hot hog killers. If you like it I sell you the bottom one with both sets of barrels and a new barrel tool for $900... and if you want for $1025 and add another 4" heavy BA (no wiggle room on the price). Plus two grips. Now you have a carry, a nice common shooter and a long distance plate dropper for less than single use custom smitty.

· Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the info guys, really appreciate it! And Beladran, that's one intense looking revolver, I like it!

Pinetor, those are two very clean looking guns, very nice! I asked a local dealer about finding a Dan Wesson for me, but he suggested finding an S&W instead. After your praise though I think I may try and go with a DW 15-2 if I can.

I think ideally I'd like to go with bubbat's link and try and get ahold of one of those barrels and "build" my own, just because that's a huge part of the fun for me and doesn't look like it would break the bank. I also started to look more into the custom gun services yall mentioned, so I may end up following that path instead.

Though, pinetor, your offer is VERY tempting! I'm seriously considering taking you up on it!

· Registered
1,118 Posts
IslandTimes said:
Thanks for all the info guys, really appreciate it! And Beladran, that's one intense looking revolver, I like it!

Pinetor, those are two very clean looking guns, very nice! I asked a local dealer about finding a Dan Wesson for me, but he suggested finding an S&W instead. After your praise though I think I may try and go with a DW 15-2 if I can.

I think ideally I'd like to go with bubbat's link and try and get ahold of one of those barrels and "build" my own, just because that's a huge part of the fun for me and doesn't look like it would break the bank. I also started to look more into the custom gun services yall mentioned, so I may end up following that path instead.

Though, pinetor, your offer is VERY tempting! I'm seriously considering taking you up on it!
Sounds like a plan.. bubats link is to the person that made my slab EWK... I jumped on the first set he made. GunBroker will be your best bet to find a used DW, though MStrophyhunter says there may be some around Brookhaven. The only reason my price is the way it is... the second gun is more pristine than mine. In any case you ought to try shooting one... like mine!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.