Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
12,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does it work? Whats the course of fire, # of rounds, pistol/rifle, scopes allowed, rifles used all the good stuff. I've never shot or seen it shot, so someone give us newbs a overview.

Thanks in advance.

Dh

·
Registered
348 Posts
as far as ihmsa handgun silhouette the course of fire is 40 rounds. 10 shots at chickens which are at 25 meters, 10 shots at pigs which are at 50 meters, 10 shots at turkeys which are at 75 meters, and 10 shots at rams which are at 100 meters. the targets are made of 1/4" steel are made with feet on them so they sit on a rail upright. you have to hit them and knock them over for the shot to count. the targets are pretty small. possible score of 40. some of the regional matches you shoot at 15 of each target for a possible score of 60. at the world championships which is held once a year you shot at 20 of each animal for a possible score of 80. the big bore targets are chickens at 50 meters, pigs at 100 meters, turkeys at 150 meters, rams at 200 meters. of course the big bore targets are larger. to me the 22's are the hardest. it's a lot of fun. it is a hard shooting sport to say the least. been shooting ihmsa silhouette for 29 years. we start the 4th sunday of each month march thru sept. we have several classes to choose from. if i can be of assistance please contact me to learn more about ihmsa silhouette. [email protected] (PS) we do have a scoped class.

·
Registered
12,965 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
what type of 22lr rifles/pistols are used? Bolt action, singleshot, 10/22, lever actions,,,,,, pistols revolvers, autos?
What are the large bore rifle calibers?

I have no clue to this and am sure there are others here that are as clueless as me. Sorry for all the ??? but gotta learn some how.

·
Registered
348 Posts
we have a standing class, but i personally don't shoot it. the position i shoot is called creedmore. it's lying on your back with knees put together and gun is rested on the side of you leg. if you go to you tube and type in silhouette shooting you can see some shooters in action in the various positions.

·
Premium Member
21,644 Posts
jbpmidas said:
Standing, prone, kneeling, what?
Standing IIRC for the smallbore ... at least that is how they used to shoot it at Magnolia ....

·
Registered
4,533 Posts
dhollis51 said:
How does it work? Whats the course of fire, # of rounds, pistol/rifle, scopes allowed, rifles used all the good stuff. I've never shot or seen it shot, so someone give us newbs a overview.

Thanks in advance.

Dh
I shot it once and it was quite challenging. I thought it would be good practice for my highpower standing position and I was correct except it is a degree of magnitude HARDER.

Basically we shot 22 scoped rifles under 10 lbs 2 oz. It was recommended to buy an older CZ 452 (forget why a new one is not as good) or a Savage bolt.

With the explosion of 22 F-class, I can't see why this doesn't catch fire as well... other than some are too chicken to shoot off their hind legs.

You need to PM Bobby Huddleston, MSGO handle atomicbrh, he's the point man on this.

Reference this thread to answer most of your quesitons.

http://www.msgunowners.com/t12214-22-nra-smallbore-feb-12-sat-jackson-ms-match-back-on

·
Registered
424 Posts
There are also several different smallbore competitions at the Gulf Coast Rifle and Pistol club. I have shot the "cowboy action" smallbore silohette, which are the same targets/distances described above but the gun must be a tube fed 22LR with open sights, and the position is standing offhand.

There is a scoped rifle competition, but I've not shot that. It is also standing offhand. I also know of a 50 yard benchrest competition at that club.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Targets and Distances are not the Same!

NRA 22 Smallbore(Smallbore means .22 Rimfire Standard Velocity 40 grain lead bullet) Targets are 1/5 Scale that is 1/2 the size of the Cowboy Targets. I have a classification in Cowboy but not my primary interest. Standing Position only. No instant gratification in Rifle Silhouette. Standard rule of thumb is give yourself 5 years of constant training and match shooting to see if you are any good at it. It took me 10 years and spending 24 hours a day for days on end with the best to find out that I had some potential.

First match I shot years ago was a 3 out of a 40. Took me a year to make the double digits. You can count on one hand the number of people who have shot a perfect 40 out of 40 unlike IHMSA where 40 out of 40 is quite common.

Let me know if a group wants to get together and shoot a "trial" Match at Magnolia. I will go for a minimum of 6 people to try it. Loading up target and racks will take too long with any less and all shooters must help set up.
Thanks,
Bobby H.

·
Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
23,832 Posts
Me too, always wanted to try silhouette.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts