Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Improvise, adapt, overcome...
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a well used model 681, that the trigger stud has broken. Has anyone ever seen this in a S&W revolver? Looking for a good gunsmith that can replace it, any input would be appreciated
20190423_204939.jpg

·
Registered
6,161 Posts
If you don't mind a bit of a drive, Billy Tierce of
Bill's Gun Shop off of Hwy27 east of Crystal Springs
should be able to handle that easily. If you give him
a phone call he can direct you to find his shop, he
sort of semi retired to some land down there a few
years ago but is still quite active, and skilled I have
to say, as anyone I'm aware of in or out of MS.

Billy Tierce

4050 Jack Rd Utica Ms..

closed Wed and Sun hours 9 am - 6pm

601-885-9297

·
MSGO Court Jester
39,448 Posts
That's the second thing I never thought I'd see break on a Smith. The first was the bolt.

·
Premium Member
13,546 Posts
I've got a Model 15 that has the same problem. The pin is part of a stud that is pressed into the frame. The stud is ground flush with the outside of the frame before it is polished and blued. The studs are available online. I read about a fix online that used a drill bit the same diameter as the pin. The pin location was drilled as deep as possible without going through. The bit was cut to the right length and glued into the hole with locktite. The side plate supports the end of the pin when it's installed. The trick was to get the sideplate installed without breaking loose the glue joint. Mine has been sitting in the safe for a couple years. I need to order the correct size drill bit to try it.

·
Premium Member
6,232 Posts
I sent a revolver back to the factory, different problem but a older Smith @ Wesson. I called, they gave me an address and work order number. They examined it and called me and told me how much. I gave them my credit card number and had the revolver back in about 2 weeks.
I drove to Fed-ex and sent it from their distribution center. I received it back at my house. I had to be here to sign and I paid insurance on the retail price of the pistol before sending.I tried to think of a way to get that pin out, and that is basically what I thought that you would have to do is drill the center of the pin that is in the frame.
Definitely needs to be some precision work.

·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I sent a revolver back to the factory, different problem but a older Smith @ Wesson. I called, they gave me an address and work order number. They examined it and called me and told me how much. I gave them my credit card number and had the revolver back in about 2 weeks.
I drove to Fed-ex and sent it from their distribution center. I received it back at my house. I had to be here to sign and I paid insurance on the retail price of the pistol before sending.I tried to think of a way to get that pin out, and that is basically what I thought that you would have to do is drill the center of the pin that is in the frame.
Definitely needs to be some precision work.
I have contacted Smith & Wesson. I have had positive results in the past dealing with there customer service. You are correct it will have to be precise. I would much rather have an old hand that has seen this issue or something similar work on this. I was thinking it would almost be worth trying to divet the post for a precise measured pin to fit between the frame and side plate...but I'm no gunsmith.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have contacted Smith & Wesson. I have had positive results in the past dealing with there customer service. You are correct it will have to be precise. I would much rather have an old hand that has seen this issue or something similar work on this. I was thinking it would almost be worth trying to divet the post for a precise measured pin to fit between the frame and side plate...but I'm no gunsmith.
If you haven't already, I recommend sending it to S&W Service Center for repair. I was a S&W Armorer for many years with the police department I worked for and have repaired numerous S&W revolvers but trigger and hammer stud replacement has always been considered a factory-only repair. A 681 is a fine handgun and deserves to be repaired properly. Whatever it costs it will be worth it to not have to wonder if it might break again at some future time when you can least afford a failure. Good luck with whatever you decide.

·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
20190724_181508.jpg
Well today I received my 681 back from Smith and Wesson. They repaired the trigger pin. Not really happy with the way it looks, but as long as it functions, I guess it's not a big issue...not really that noticable...

·
Custodial Engineer at Third Monkey Outfitters
3,077 Posts
Wow..... I would have been expecting a bit cleaner install than that. Not that I could do better, but it's S&W... Did the smith scratch his name in there?? What is all that scribble? :)

·
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow..... I would have been expecting a bit cleaner install than that. Not that I could do better, but it's S&W... Did the smith scratch his name in there?? What is all that scribble? :)
LOL! Kind of looks like it! Thats the awesome etch job from the lawman that took inventory of this pistol when receiving into there department.
I was certainly expecting a much cleaner install for sure...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts