Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Put some new shoes on the old trusty model 15. The originals had a chunk missing out of them since I got it. I didn't realize it before installing them, but they have a different contour at the top. You can see the "line" where the top of the old grips sat. Oh well, they're S&W branded, feel good in the hand, and look better (without that missing chunk). I wouldn't mind getting a cheap used pair of Pachmyar "Grippers" to put on there sometimes, too.
sw15 new shoes.jpg

·
Premium Member
13,628 Posts
I think the reason S&W changed the contour on the grips was so you could use a speed loader, but I may be wrong
That's correct. The ones that were on it have what is called the "football" cutout at the top. The newer ones have the speedloader cutout.

Reactions: Twang

·
MSGO Court Jester
40,187 Posts
We (pistol team members) made that cut in the original grips before S&W started making new ones with the speedloader cutout. We'd do it with a Dremel and then put tung oil on the bare wood and finish up with a light coat of polyurethane.

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,673 Posts
I find much favor with these "grips" on a S&W K-frame revolver... :)

(Uncle Mike's/Butler Creek Craig Spegel designed 'reinforced rubber grips"... :cool: )

Ergo on a Ruger GP-100, by the way!!! :101010:

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,673 Posts
Here's a "pair" of S&W Model 15-3 revolvers with different S&W factory "stocks" as showing... :)

·
Super Moderator
8,231 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I find much favor with these "grips" on a S&W K-frame revolver... :)

(Uncle Mike's/Butler Creek Craig Spegel designed 'reinforced rubber grips"... :cool: )

Ergo on a Ruger GP-100, by the way!!! :101010:
The grips on that Smith remind me of the Pachmayr "Grippers".
The GP-100 came with 2 different grips, both Hogue and Altamont-style.
IMG_20190125_104406752.jpg IMG_20190125_105120909.jpg

·
Registered
16 Posts
Those are nice looking stocks and fit well (and are probably very comfortable), but please keep the original stocks with the gun. If you ever decide to sell it, those original stocks will mean more money in your pocket.

S&W had a lot of stock designs over the years and keeping up with them can be dizzying. I'm a big fan of the smooth grips that came on the WW2-era K frames. I think it's a classic look.

Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts