close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Snakehead Fish caught in North Mississippi

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by sand_man, Jun 10, 2017.

1. lazi

lazi Distinguished Poster

They are considered invasive. They will screw up the native fish and screw up the ecosystem.

Something like wild hogs but in the water.

2. 1010

1010 Infidel MSGO Supporter

MS
    look at the mess asian carp are causing, it's unknown what effect the SH will have.

People turn this crap free into our resources should be in jail!
    IDK why non-native animals are even allowed into the USA!! $$$$

fordpkup likes this.

3. phillipd

phillipd Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

columbus
    The snake heads will eat more than other fish of the same size, are very aggressive, and can travel on land. In the pond I'm talking about its rare now to catch anything but a snake head, and it used to be full of bream and some decent bass.

Cliff731 and 1010 like this.
  4. Rw

Rw Moderator Staff Member

Sounds like a few healthy charges of dynamite or something are in order for that place, kill em all...

5. Columbus

Columbus Gatekeeper to My Corner of Hell

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife introduced the carp in 60's. There is a catfish farmer in the Delta that raises carp too, I have caught a couple in his ponds that weighed 25-30lbs

6. 1010

MS
  7. 2DARK2C

2DARK2C Distinguished Poster

a lot of the Asian carp come from poo plants, they eat poo :)

the snakeheads are voracious , but as far as non resident critters are a blip on the radar. I just wish the pythons would hurry up and get here so I don't have to go to florida to check that off my bucket list.

1010 there are plenty of peta people who feel the same way! you can have my python when you pry it from my cold dead hands :p

8. ER-HI-GU

ER-HI-GU Distinguished Poster

...wire-up a 5K-10K generator. throw exposed leads into the water. Throw the switch.

1010 likes this.
  9. 1010

MS
    I don't want the snake, just a dead snake is all.. And certainly not turned free!!
    We're gonna need some major climate change for the constrictors to survive up here!
    Thank goodness!!

10. Columbus

Columbus Gatekeeper to My Corner of Hell

Hmmm Maybe we're talking about different species.

Both authorized and unauthorized stockings of Grass Carp have taken place for biological control of vegetation. This species was first imported to the United States in 1963 to aquaculture facilities in Auburn, Alabama, and Stuttgart, Arkansas. The Auburn stock came from Taiwan, and the Arkansas stock was imported from Malaysia (Courtenay et al. 1984). The first release of this species into open waters took place at Stuttgart, Arkansas, when fish escaped the Fish Farming Experimental Station
    Grass Carp (Ctenopharyngodon idella) - FactSheet

11. Rw

Rw Moderator Staff Member

If you go down to snag a python please let me know so i can film it for youtube... and you gotta yell hey yall watch this before you go after it :)

12. 1010

MS
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asian_carp according to wiki 9 species have been here way longer than the 60s

13. bluedog46

bluedog46 Distinguished Poster

Prime reason against invasive species and how we need to control them. Just like the illegal immigrants.

UncleVeto and 45flattop like this.
  14. 45flattop

45flattop Distinguished Poster

Jackson
    First time I saw this thread, I thought it would be about
    an invasion of the Hudson in NY, that would explain how
    Snakeface Schumer got here!!!:lol4: