Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
B5496E84-E8B5-45D9-96CA-0DCE56FB952D.jpeg
My son has to do a wildflower project at school. About 2 weeks ago my wife came home around mid day and went down on the place close to the creek looking for flowers. She took a bunch of pictures and found some flowers and a nice fresh shed antler. So last night she was looking back through her pictures and noticed this rattle snake. See the tip of her shoe in bottom left.

·
Registered
6,351 Posts
Looks like that one needs to die.

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
No telling how many we have stepped over while cruising timber or hunting and never noticed them. Just goes to show that snakes are not “out to bite humans”.

Had a buddy that was turkey hunting last year and had a rattle snake crawl up next to his hip. He had been hearing something move but thought it was a turkey slipping until he felt it touch him. He sat there for a while then got a little stick and eased him away.

·
Premium Member
6,805 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No telling how many we have stepped over while cruising timber or hunting and never noticed them. Just goes to show that snakes are not “out to bite humans”.

Had a buddy that was turkey hunting last year and had a rattle snake crawl up next to his hip. He had been hearing something move but thought it was a turkey slipping until he felt it touch him. He sat there for a while then got a little stick and eased him away.
In my experience rattle snakes have always been very docile. Unless they are in my yard I leave them alone.

·
Premium Member
9,777 Posts
rattlers outwest are being "evolved" by round ups and such. so rattlers that don't alert with a rattle live and breed. thanks nature :)
In a lifetime of nearly stepping on, sat on one, riding up horseback on, catching them; the majority did not rattle until really provoked/cornered. It's a little unnerving, to be working cattle & ride by some prairie salt grass & have a rattler staring at you about 4+ ft off ground & hasn't made a soundo_O.

·
Registered
4,280 Posts
In a lifetime of nearly stepping on, sat on one, riding up horseback on, catching them; the majority did not rattle until really provoked/cornered. It's a little unnerving, to be working cattle & ride by some prairie salt grass & have a rattler staring at you about 4+ ft off ground & hasn't made a soundo_O.
Yeah, that Times 10

·
Premium Member
5,977 Posts
Your wife needs a forward spotter and Quick-Draw Mccraw if she does not carry a pistol with shotshells when picking flowers.She will probably be looking everywhere for snakes now.

·
Registered
8,432 Posts
I don't see a rattle on that one. So don't think it's a rattler...looks more like a yellow circle snake. :lol2:
the picture isn't perfect. the pattern is def. right for a timber rattler. only pattern I could think of close would be a eastern hognose. a nice head shot would remove all doubt.

posture, body shape (angular and thick as apposed to round), scale texture, can tell you a whole lot more than color or even pattern. the best way is to catch it :)

·
Registered
8,432 Posts

a couple examples of color phases of eastern hognose, and a copperhead. since every snake is variable in color and pattern (like fingerprints and zebras) you can not use color and pattern to fully ID a snake. it can get you in the right direction, but without more info. you'll be seeing black mambas and pythons hanging from trees.

here is a beautiful northern watersnake in the blue.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts