Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Nocturnal Specialties
7,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since the barrel is burnt out in my .22-250 i had thought about turning it into a .308 but once i measured the port on the action its .420" too short for a .308.

So im tryin to figure out what i wanna do, put a good .22-250 barrel on it and just shoot it or what other calibers use the .22-250/.308 boltface that is short?

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Yeah it will handle 308 or since you like long range and 6mms are sweet for accuracy I would make it a 243 AI or a 6x47.

·
Nocturnal Specialties
7,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was lookin in my reloading manual and .22-250 shows a COL of 2.35 and the .308 COL of 2.7..
No way a 2.7 COL is gonna fit in that action.

.243 shows 2.6 COL.
6x47 shows 2.4 COL

Thinking bout just putting another .22-250 barrel on it and selling it and getting a cheap .308 and build it or something..

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
just sell him the action and keep stock and barrel(just to have so you can say its shot out) buy what you want and roll on. starting over with something new.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
haha dont have an extra 308 action. Man I wouldnt be looking for one if you havent gotten me thinking about long range shooting again. :pullhair: Im gonna have to start picking the threads I read/moderate. This forum is costing me money.

·
Nocturnal Specialties
7,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Rbelote said:
haha dont have an extra 308 action. Man I wouldnt be looking for one if you havent gotten me thinking about long range shooting again. :pullhair: Im gonna have to start picking the threads I read/moderate. This forum is costing me money.
HAHA, im goin by academy here in a lil while to see what they have. and a local pawn shop to see if i can find a good deal.

(Academy had a Stevens .223 for $299)

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
6BR is a good round it will shoot really tight groups, but it can be moody. Even without temp change altitude changes etc.

·
Nocturnal Specialties
7,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Rbelote said:
6BR is a good round it will shoot really tight groups, but it can be moody. Even without temp change altitude changes etc.
I think ill stick with the .22-250 since i already have a bucket of new brass and a bunch of old stuff..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts