Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Rational Anarchist
15,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
…& I’m turning the kids’ old playhouse into a chicken coop. Food & water will hang to the left and right under the new extended roof. I have 16 panels of chain link, dog kennel that I’m going to surround it with. I’ll have to get some net to go over the top. I have old chicken wire than I’m going to put in the ground outside to discourage critters digging under. The backside will get doors over the laying boxes. Other than a few pieces of wood, screws & the tin on the peak all is recycled material.
Plant Wood Land lot Tree Tarpaulin
Plant Building Tree Wood Ladder

·
Registered
16,060 Posts
My wife went to tractor supply for dog food the other day and came home with 4 chicks…and no dog food. Pretty pumped for the egg supply. Her mom has 5 and doesn’t know what to do with them all. She doesn’t cook like we do though either.

·
Rational Anarchist
15,341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We have eight biddies & expect five more plus two grown ones that are already laying, soon. We’ll likely have to find something to do with the eggs once the bulk of them start laying. No telling how many are roosters, but they’ll feed us, too.

·
Registered
16,060 Posts
We have eight biddies & expect five more plus two grown ones that are already laying, soon. We’ll likely have to find something to do with the eggs once the bulk of them start laying. No telling how many are roosters, but they’ll feed us, too.
We’ll get there. My wife dreams of farm life. Only so much you can fit on 3 acres though.

·
Morte
4,607 Posts
Just remember, if you don’t wash the egg, and keep it under 80 degrees, you can keep it on the counter for a month. Plus, an unchilled egg does better in pies and cakes.

We were up to about 100 chickens at one time. Ours free ranged. We kept them in the coop about 3-4 weeks, so every evening, they would come back to roost there. When they were getting laying age, we locked them up again to get them used to our laying box for a few weeks. After that, for the most part, they would all come back to the coop to lay.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Get a freeze dryer. Save your eggs and scramble 2-3 dozen at a time and freeze dry them. The powdered eggs take up way less space and last for years.
Also you can keep fresh eggs for months. Rub them with oil (canola, corn, vegetable, etc) to coat them and store in a cool dry place. They will be good for months.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
I would have to ask my wife what the amounts are to reconstitute powder eggs. It is something like 1/8 cup powder eggs and equal water maybe? I don't know for sure as my wife does all that but she uses powder eggs for baking and we eat them and they are fine.

·
Registered
8,382 Posts
No need to bury the wire, unless it will be mowed over. I used 2x4 welded wire for the run. I cut a roll in half, tied one edge to the fence and made lawn staples for the outside. The chickens would reach through to keep the grass trimmed.
Canola oil, my wife won't use it. I bought a bottle a few years ago. Take it back, read about it. Developed to be used in marine engines. Motor oil?

·
Registered
320 Posts
We have 8 hens and a rooster in a 20x30 coop. We get 6-8 eggs daily.
I keep them up unless one of us is home. Problem I’m about to face is it’s garden time.
I have yet to find a way to keep them out of the garden or the raised beds.
I could fence the garden but im thinking of just enlarging the run. They will still eat it to bare ground in short order. Better than them eating all my squash 😂
They get fed layer pellets.

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Just remember, if you don’t wash the egg, and keep it under 80 degrees, you can keep it on the counter for a month. Plus, an unchilled egg does better in pies and cakes.

We were up to about 100 chickens at one time. Ours free ranged. We kept them in the coop about 3-4 weeks, so every evening, they would come back to roost there. When they were getting laying age, we locked them up again to get them used to our laying box for a few weeks. After that, for the most part, they would all come back to the coop to lay.
If you don't wash them, what do you do with them to clean them?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Chicken eggs don't need to be cleaned for storing. Just store them on the kitchen counter until ready to use. If you want to boil some and want the eggs to look nice, then wash them off before boiling.
Yeah, I knew that didn't have to be cleaned or stored in a fridge, but I'm hesitant to put them on the counter with the possibility of ecoli or salmonella. How do you guard against that?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts