Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
W*fe decided to treat us this morning. Flaky homemade crust with blueberries & strawberries as the filling. Fried (isn't everything in the South?).
Practice run to spoil der Junge when he finally gets back on dry land in a day or 3. Meanwhile I'm more than willing to be the guinea pig/ taste tester. ;)
IMG_0691.JPG IMG_0692.JPG

·
Deplorables Battalion Commander
26,143 Posts
I told her the crust was as nice & flaky as the Luzern Strudel I ate in Switzerland.
"Who is Luzern, and why is she making you Strudel?"
:groan:
Geography is your best friend, sir!

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Geography is your best friend, sir!
Yeah I pronounced it in German /loo tsearn/ instead of the English Lucerne. So she's wondering if Louanne Searn is an old flame. ;)

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Don’t know if you read sir but your post reminds me of a good read “ Lions of Lucerne“ can’t remember the authors name but a good read.
I have been to that memorial. As Mark Twain wrote about the memorial in Luzern:

The Lion lies in his lair in the perpendicular face of a low cliff—for he is carved from the living rock of the cliff. His size is colossal, his attitude is noble. His head is bowed, the broken spear is sticking in his shoulder, his protecting paw rests upon the lilies of France. Vines hang down the cliff and wave in the wind, and a clear stream trickles from above and empties into a pond at the base, and in the smooth surface of the pond the lion is mirrored, among the water-lilies.

Around about are green trees and grass. The place is a sheltered, reposeful woodland nook, remote from noise and stir and confusion—and all this is fitting, for lions do die in such places, and not on granite pedestals in public squares fenced with fancy iron railings. The Lion of Lucerne would be impressive anywhere, but nowhere so impressive as where he is.

— Mark Twain, A Tramp Abroad, 1880
Lion of Lucerne.jpg

·
Premium Member
5,894 Posts
Hush yo pea pickin mouth. That there is some Southern finger licking good stuff.

·
Registered
6,040 Posts
Dang all of those look great, love the strawberry ones
especially, just sad that since I am unmarried there
is no one left in my family who bakes, too many members
have either gone vegan or on something called a Keto diet
whatever the heck that is, probably roast lawn clippings
from what I suspect. I do not intend to inquire further,
I know what I like and if losing weight is the goal, what
is wrong with eating less. it worked for me when I dropped
from around 350 to 211 recently on my MD's scale.

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If I’m ever able to do a bucket list, Lucerne is in the top 10
The Kapellbrücke, "Chapel Bridge" across the Reuss river is nice, and the Bäckerei where I ate Strudel is on the side across from the cathedral. I went in one morning and ate Strudel with strong Kaffee; then went to a very nice gun shop a block or so away from the river and looked at the selection, including SMGs. Interesting conversations about USA vs. Swiss gun laws. I'm a member of the PROTELL Swiss firearms rights organization, same as our NRA, basically and they were impressed when I showed my card.
An hour or 2 later after walking around I went back to the Bäckerei & the Frau said "ha, wieder ein Strudel?" I just smiled and told her "ja".
I guess I have a face one doesn't easily forget. And that's not bragging, believe me...:(
Kapellbrücke - Wikipedia

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Y'all are dead wrong for sharing these pictures with no recipes. Let's hear em.
I'll get it from her. Main thing is cutting the shortening (Crisco) into the flour for the crust, the filling can be anything from apples to blueberries to peaches, etc.

·
Registered
4,642 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No, they are wrong for sharing them without inviting us over to sample. ;)
Dude I'll let you know next time she makes a batch; I have wax paper & ziploc bags, can send a couple.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'll get it from her. Main thing is cutting the shortening (Crisco) into the flour for the crust, the filling can be anything from apples to blueberries to peaches, etc.
If you get time. I'll share that with the Wifey. Our blueberry bushes are still loaded, and she's been fattening me with a plethora of new desserts lately.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts