Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey everyone. Since I found myself with some time today I figured I would show off my favorite milsurps from my entire collection.
First up is my type 30 hook safety arisaka. It was given to me as a gift from a friend who was thinning out his vast collection to focus on other countries (France and Greece primarily). This one is unusual in the fact that it is basically as issued aside from a mismatched bolt and an aged repro sling. The Japanese only made a few hundred thousand type 30 rifles and carbines for the Russo- Japanese War and afterwards over half were sold out of country and more than half of the ones that remained were converted to smoothbore trainers. This one still has a fully rifled bore and has a full untouched mum.
image220.jpg

image222.jpg

Next up is a type 38 rifle and training rifle that were captured on Guadalcanal by a member of the 2nd Marine Division. I traded a friend of mine for both of these and while the type 38 has both the place of capture and the date of capture carved into the stock the training rifle lacks this. However it is an early training rifle and came from the same vet.
image442.jpg

image455.jpg

image456.jpg

image447.jpg

image448.jpg

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Next up are a couple of family pieces.
First is a type 94 nambu pistol and holster that one of my great uncles brought back home from Burma. His wife gave it to me along with a Japanese flag made of cotton for my birthday a few years ago and now that both my great uncle and my great aunt have passed this is a very treasured item for me. My great uncle served along the Ledo Road and was a mechanic that maintained the construction equipment.
image44.JPG

Next is a French model 1874 Gras rifle and bayonet that my great grandfather brought home from WW1. He served in the Canadian Army and was in the battles of Messines Ridge and Passchendaele, where he was exposed to mustard gas and was sent home. He never really talked about his service and after he died in 1964 these were given to my uncle who held onto them until a few years ago when he gave them to me. The rifle was made in 1875, making it my oldest milsurp, and the bayonet was made in 1879.
image365.jpg

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Next up is a very rare variation of French Berthier that was only made for the colonial French troops stationed in Indochina. The French only made 15,250 of them total and only 80 are confirmed to exist in the world. I got mine from the son of a marine who brought this and an all matching French Lebel rifle home from Vietnam. It's all matching aside from the trigger group and it even has its original sling. The other trigger group was thrown into the deal and it came from another much earlier version of mine.
image434.jpg

Next is my prized unicorn rifle. It is a 38 type nambu training rifle that was only made for one year in between the child's trainer and the normal type 38 training rifle. To date there are only six of these confirmed to exist in the world and mine is the only one that has an original sling.
image489.jpeg

·
Registered
540 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Next is an untouched perfect mid war arisaka that was given to me as a gift. This one is as found and was well preserved by the previous owner (aside from some scratches and a ding in the handguard). I don't have any history of where it came from but I do know that it was purchased directly from the vet around 30 years ago.
image399.jpg

image400.jpg

image401.jpg

Finally here are some non rifle militaria that I cherish in my collection. The first is a Vietcong flag and kabar knife that my dad brought home from Vietnam when he was there in 1967. The kabar was his issue knife and he's had it since brand new until he gave it to me a few years ago. The flag I found in the attic in the bottom of his old softball bag where he kept it and used it as a sweat rag when he played softball back in the 80s. My dad smuggled home a lot of items including his own issue gear that I still have but these always stand out for me.
image259.jpg

image191.jpg

Finally here is a set of dog tags I recently came into belonging to a last generation China Marine who served in WW2 as one of the marines chosen to be on recruitment posters and in Korea with the 1st Marine Division at the Chosin Reservoir. I found out that he lived in the same small apartment complex in Pennsylvania as a great uncle of mine whom I cherished ever since I was a kid. Come to find out they only lived two doors down from each other and met regularly to chat and hang out until the marine moved out prior to his passing away in 1984.
image514.jpeg

image515.jpeg

Well I hope everyone enjoyed some of my favorite pieces from my collection. I hope to keep finding more amazing items to add in the future and if they fit add them to the displays I put on each military show.

·
Premium Member
27,266 Posts
Thanks!
Though this is only a rather small portion of my entire collection (at least 40 rifles and numerous other pieces of militaria) I figured everyone would like to see some of my favorite heavy hitters that I've come across over the past seven years.

I hope that you have adequate insurance for your C&R collection! Just sayin' ...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts