Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a Remington 788 in 223 in which the spring in the magazine broke at one of the bends. Did find a new mag at the time, maybe 10 years ago. Have not found any mags or replacement mag springs, hencephalitis my question, Where is a good place to find strips of material to try and make my own. Current spring measures 1/4" wide and approx 0.01" thick.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well after posting this something told to check Numrich gun parts and someone is marking "reproductions" priced in low $30's. Now to find spring reproductions.

·
Premium Member
6,229 Posts
Did you check Wolf gun springs? They make many springs for different companies, also extra power springs. Brownells carries spring packs that you cut to length that I use all the time. Good luck.
Since I posted this a few minutes ago, MidwayUSA has replacement magazine springs for Remington short action ADL and BDL 700 rifles for less than 10 bucks.
It might be worth a try. I personally would rather fit a part than make one from scratch. You will need to get the temper of metal just right. MCM.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Found some springs for the 22-250 Rem 788 magazine. Think I will get one and see if it can be made to work. If I can figure out where I put the original mag and this can be made to work it would give me two which should last the rest of my life.

·
Premium Member
6,229 Posts
If it works,l it works. I did find some original Remington magazines still in the packages when doing some computer searches. I was kind a interested because I have owned a 788,,243 for around 5 or 6 years. Super accurate.

Reactions: bucmeister

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If it works,l it works. I did find some original Remington magazines still in the packages when doing some computer searches. I was kind a interested because I have owned a 788,,243 for around 5 or 6 years. Super accurate.
It is a tack driver so was used as my doe thinning gun for the years we hammered the doe population which started with the 1995 season and ended in 2000 or 2001 when we figured out we were tired on not seeing many/any deer. I have shot towards one end of my biggest plot and had deer remain feeding in the other end when the doe would drop without running from a head/neck shot.

Suspect what did in the original magazine spring may have been my practice of leaving it full even when out of the gun. I would pull the mag at the end of each hunt to place it in the ammo box which lived in the tool box so as to be compliant with the stupid BS "prima facie" rule about road hunting. The metal fatigued and broke at one of the bends and appeared a bit rusty in the bend as well. The current mag is completely emptied except when hunting with the spring being pulled at least once per year for inspection and oiling which hopefully will extend it's life. Sucks that Remington (and likely most if not all other gun companies) does not support their legacy products with simple parts like this.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts