·
Premium Member
27,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)

·
Premium Member
27,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Good question, but should you kill him if not?
Doesn't have any bearing on the shooting, IMO, and that's not what the police were "there" for ... they are not ICE or ATF. So, no.

Prayers for the victim and his family, and yes, for the officers involved and theirs.

Not to be unfeeling at this time, but I hope Southaven and its PD have good insurance.

·
Premium Member
27,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Memphis Fox Channel 13 TV just confirmed: the arrest warrant (and shooting, of course) was served at the wrong address.

The warrant was for an individual at 5778 Surrey Lane; Southaven police were at 5781 Surrey Lane.

Not good for the deceased, his family, the Southaven police officers, or Southaven.

·
Premium Member
27,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm a big supporter of law enforcement but...... I have ZERO tolerance for this garbage. If the officers in charge can't READ A FREAKING WARRANT then they should spend the rest of their lives in prison when this happens.
As a minimum, this case needs to go to a grand jury and bypass the 4-county DA. JMO.

·
Premium Member
2,340 Posts
But you would put the gun down when the police told you to I bet. Until all the facts are out I will not convict the officers.

·
MSGO Court Jester
37,850 Posts
If the dog was barking, cops were hollering, victim was hollering, light was poor, victim wasn't sure they were cops yet, and cops were nervous/inexperienced, and cop shot at dog, it's easy to see how it could have happened. That doesn't release anybody from responsibility though. A very sad situation but just cause for increase in making sure you have the correct address.

·
Premium Member
27,266 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
But you would put the gun down when the police told you to I bet. Until all the facts are out I will not convict the officers.
True. At least I hope that I would have ... "the compliant or the dead".

Or, at that hour, maybe I wouldn't have answered my door, but called the Southaven PD instead ... Oh, wait, they were the Southaven police (my apologies for my sarcasm and cynicism).

Unconfirmed reports are: (1) the deceased understood English; and (2) that the Southaven police issued no such commands to the deceased.

Sadly, no one can ask the deceased if he did and whether they did. Tragic.

We shall see.

·
MSGO Court Jester
37,850 Posts
Help me out forum LEOs/retired LEOs: Is it "usual" practice -- and lawful -- to serve an arrest warrant at ~midnight? And why not by the Desoto County sheriffs, since it was from another county?

Not a surprise that the deceased's family has already lawyered-up.
Depends on when they got the warrant, but not unusual. And unless things have changed more than I know, it's normal to serve a warrant on someone residing in your jurisdiction for another agency. They will often join you though, if close. And it also depends on what the warrant is for, chance of suspect running, etc.

Reactions: Mesquite and 7557

·
Registered
10,128 Posts
Keep in mind that anybody, including home invaders, can buy (or rent) a police uniform and a fake badge and stick a blue light on their dash. Or bust down the door and yell FBI (ATF, BLM, IRS, DEA, INS, Sheriffs Dept, MS State Police, Southaven Police, etc.) at 2AM. (Remember the I55 murders?)

My own interaction with the Southaven police via the local police was not stellar. I had a fender bender in SH, called the SH police, a SH police officer came and took the info and statements, and then a couple hours later the local police show up at my house, pounding on the door, telling me I'm wanted in SH for a "hit and run". I explained to the local cop that it was an accident that was reported and police were present and a report taken, that there had never been any "hit and run" by either party, and it turned out that the dork in SH, without a care as to how badly it could have gone, had forgotten to take my insurance card info (or that was the claim) and told them "hit and run" apparently to get a fast response I guess, with no thought as to what could have resulted. So, my one, and only, hopefully ever, interaction with the SH police was not encouraging.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts