Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any idea why we’re getting so many fake members from overseas? I’ve deleted several dozen spam accounts from Germany and a few from the Ukraine over the past couple weeks. Many have a shared IP address. I’ve deleted 4 this morning from last night. Been steadily increasing recently

·
Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
19,636 Posts
No idea, but the spammers seem to have gotten worse the past few months, a facebook group I am in gets about 10-15 a day from India.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
34,674 Posts
Any idea why we’re getting so many fake members from overseas? I’ve deleted several dozen spam accounts from Germany and a few from the Ukraine over the past couple weeks. Many have a shared IP address. I’ve deleted 4 this morning from last night. Been steadily increasing recently
With the upgrade I'm sure tha bots have increased so the sight is popping in searches more and more making it a target.

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
The IPs in Germany are most likely not in Germany, but rather routed through there...if they are in Germany, I'd bet they're associated with the Russian mafia, it's been a growing problem since reunification. Ethnic Germans from the former Soviet Union (families caught up in Soviet Zone after WW2 now their descendants are some 3-5 generations removed) who can prove their ancestry can receive visas and some even German citizenship. Most don't even try to assimilate or learn German, save enough to get by. In the larger cities like Berlin, Hamburg, München, Stuttgart, etc. the Polizei have to keep full-time Russian translators on hand. My Polizisten friends tell me about it often. Hard-core criminals involved in everything from sex trafficking, drugs, organ harvesting, protection money, you name it, they do it. And of course hacking operations going 24/7, especially ransomware.

·
Deplorables Battalion Commander
26,830 Posts
Thanks for what you do as a mod!

·
MSGO Court Jester
35,752 Posts
I've deleted several with a DE country code. Denmark?

Reactions: Twang and RONIN79

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
I've deleted several with a DE country code. Denmark?
No, DE is Gemrany (for "Deutschland"); DK is for Denmark.
Trivia: Germany's northernmost state, Schleswig-Holstein, was originally part of Denmark until the Germans invaded uh I mean migrated there around 1848 or so IIRC.

Reactions: patchz

·
Super Moderator
13,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Getting ridiculous. Deleted 11 last night at work and 2 since 0700 this am

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
I'm curious. If you can divulge, PhillipD, how do you decide when to delete a new member? If you don't wish to reveal it on the public area a PM would be fine if you have the time.
Thanks,
PhillipZ

·
Super Moderator
13,065 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Long story but I’ll try and keep it short. If a new member has a suspicious IP address or has been reported as a spammer etc on one of the dozens of spam search engines (I had no idea these existed), they are sent to our ‘approval queue’ for review. I can search their IP address and get the country, state, or region from which they posted. I literally just spam cleaned another one before I read your post. I’ll take some screen shots next time and try to upload so that you can see what I see. Many of these new members share an IP address and most have been banned from multiple other sites. I think I’m doing the right thing. 98% of those I’ve deleted were from Germany, 1% Ukraine, and 1% New York. I haven’t deleted any from Mississippi or surrounding states

·
Registered
8,737 Posts
Long story but I’ll try and keep it short. If a new member has a suspicious IP address or has been reported as a spammer etc on one of the dozens of spam search engines (I had no idea these existed), they are sent to our ‘approval queue’ for review. I can search their IP address and get the country, state, or region from which they posted. I literally just spam cleaned another one before I read your post. I’ll take some screen shots next time and try to upload so that you can see what I see. Many of these new members share an IP address and most have been banned from multiple other sites. I think I’m doing the right thing. 98% of those I’ve deleted were from Germany, 1% Ukraine, and 1% New York. I haven’t deleted any from Mississippi or surrounding states
NY, you didn’t delete @Southshorerob did you?

Idk why it loaded double pix
It’s been acting weird lately. I still can’t get it to clear the text editor after I post. Have to refresh after every one.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts