Mississippi Gun Owners banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
21,851 Posts
You can only have so many 45s and 40s before you need a few 9mm. Next will be 10mm…….a new one,I ain’t buying it second hand and it’ll be all stainless…….shiny!
Wait thought you called dibs on my Colt Delta Elite all stainless and shiny.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
38,417 Posts
You can only have so many 45s and 40s before you need a few 9mm. Next will be 10mm…….a new one,I ain’t buying it second hand and it’ll be all stainless…….shiny!

Yeah they don’t last long enough to actually wear parts
LMAO , yeah tell mine that.

·
Premium Member
Let's go shoot some, we dont want to wound anything.
6,491 Posts
Only thing I ever replaced on one was ; I think the name was a tenon[sp] .On the grips, the grip screws screw into a tenon that are replaceable on the frame. And I would guess a mainspring if you shot a lot. I have owned my Dads Colt for 22 years now and when I replaced the grips, I put a couple of those tenons in with new grips. I am sure there would be maybe more but not a lot of things that would wear out easily. Maybe a drop or two of lube on the slide after you break it down and give a good cleaning. I own 2 full size, 1 Officers and two 380 clones, a Colt Government and a Sig. Those two parts that go into the frame for the grip screws is all . But as we all know there are some people that could tear up a Sherman Tank by looking at it.
Think it is Marines that tear things up and are really good at it. :)

Reactions: Redlick83

·
Registered
6,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
Not planning on banning them are they. Sub 10 rounds and non threaded barrel usually. If SHTF I'll be reaching for something other than a 1911 anywho. My spare parts for 1911 consist of redundancy x6

Part C:
Spare parts for striker fired "perfect" guns haha. None needed hahaha
Striker springs & return springs already manifesting problems with the SIG M17 & M18 / P320 series. A topic on SIGtalk forum.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
I have 2 or 3 1911’s in every caliber but .40 and used to do a good bit of shooting. Knock on wood, but I’ve never had a part break. I’ve replaced worn parts, but the pistol was still fully functional. I ran up on a deal and have enough match grade Colt parts to build a pile of guns. I’d say get a couple extractors and firing pins though if you’re worried. Mil spec will work in about anything, match grade will require hand fitting
In "every" caliber? I'm jealous. So far I have
22 lr
22 mag
22 TCM
9 mm
38 super
40 S&W
10 mm
45 ACP

I've been hunting 357 sig, I really want one. I also really want one in 9x25 Dillon. My next build though will be a 460 Roland.

EDIT: Oh yes and I agree in 45 years of owning 1911s I have yet to have a parts failure. That has been hundreds of 1911s in that time span.

Reactions: phillipd and rigrat

·
μολὼν λαβέ
38,417 Posts
22 lr
22 mag
22 TCM
9 mm
38 super
40 S&W
10 mm
45 ACP

I've been hunting 357 sig, I really want one. I also really want one in 9x25 Dillon. My next build though will be a 460 Roland.

EDIT: Oh yes and I agree in 45 years of owning 1911s I have yet to have a parts failure. That has been hundreds of 1911s in that time span.
Thats why they lasted as long as they have. They are tough pistols in GI form. Its the tight tuned ones that tend to have failures.

Reactions: Ellis93

·
Super Moderator
13,567 Posts
22 lr
22 mag
22 TCM
9 mm
38 super
40 S&W
10 mm
45 ACP

Well every common cal but 357sig, 22, 22mag, and .40. No desire for the Dillon or Rowland. All I can do to keep up with what I have

·
Premium Member
15,003 Posts
Well every common cal but 357sig, 22, 22mag, and .40. No desire for the Dillon or Rowland. All I can do to keep up with what I have
You need one in .40.
What exactly is common about 38super?

Reactions: rigrat

·
μολὼν λαβέ
38,417 Posts
I wouldn't mind one in 40, but a 9mm would do also.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
38,417 Posts
You need one in .40.
LOL, I'd say it was being chambered in the 1911 before 9mm and 40 by long shot. Used to be a common one in the states but definitely in Mexico.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
38,417 Posts
@Ellis93

You shot that Citadel yet? You'll like it. Should have kept mine very accurate was just like the one you bought.

·
Premium Member
15,003 Posts
LOL, I'd say it was being chambered in the 1911 before 9mm and 40 by long shot. Used to be a common one in the states but definitely in Mexico.
I understand that…….but today,nope. I can walk into any gun shop around here and there’s zero 38super. Not just in times like these,but ever. I didn’t even know it existed till 7/8 yrs ago. Back then,1911s were 45acp and the sissy 9mm,also the plastic guns were all that queer .40short and weak.

I get what it was made for,I get what it’s capable of……..but I also know the expense involved with shooting it compared to the more common rounds out there.
I didn’t pick up the first 9mm round case I fired last Saturday………had that been the 38super,I’d have had a metal detector out looking for each and every piece. That crap is high.

·
Premium Member
15,003 Posts
@Ellis93

You shot that Citadel yet? You'll like it. Should have kept mine very accurate was just like the one you bought.
Yes,good gun. I like it…….going to replace the sights because I hate them. I am searching for the Millet sights like on my Springfield.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
38,417 Posts
I understand that…….but today,nope. I can walk into any gun shop around here and there’s zero 38super. Not just in times like these,but ever. I didn’t even know it existed till 7/8 yrs ago. Back then,1911s were 45acp and the sissy 9mm,also the plastic guns were all that queer .40short and weak.

I get what it was made for,I get what it’s capable of……..but I also know the expense involved with shooting it compared to the more common rounds out there.
I didn’t pick up the first 9mm round case I fired last Saturday………had that been the 38super,I’d have had a metal detector out looking for each and every piece. That crap is high.
I forget you not that old. Long before 1911's where 9 or 40 there was 38 super. Seems I remember reading where the FBI used it at one time.

And yes I get its higher to purchase the brass do to the lack of popularity. Just saying it was a thing well before the 9/40 was. You could probably drive a 9+P+ with 155-125 gr almost as fast.

Yes, good gun. I like it…….going to replace the sights because I hate them. I am searching for the Millet sights like on my Springfield.
Good luck only ones I found was at Brownells and they are out of stock for the narrow tenon for the 1911. But you could buy the thicker front sight as you more than likely could get by with just the rear.

·
Premium Member
15,003 Posts
I forget you not that old. Long before 1911's where 9 or 40 there was 38 super. Seems I remember reading where the FBI used it at one time.

And yes I get its higher to purchase the brass do to the lack of popularity. Just saying it was a thing well before the 9/40 was. You could probably drive a 9+P+ with 155-125 gr almost as fast.

Good luck only ones I found was at Brownells and they are out of stock for the narrow tenon for the 1911. But you could buy the thicker front sight as you more than likely could get by with just the rear.

I believe the thing has Novak cuts.

·
Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
21,851 Posts
You need one in .40.

38 Super was design for the 1911 in the 1920's
It was real popular with IPSC shooters in the 1980's

Reactions: onlymaroonmatters
41 - 60 of 83 Posts