Mississippi Gun Owners banner

61 - 80 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
Let's go shoot some, we dont want to wound anything.
6,491 Posts
I have 2 45s one in 10mm and I have been told that you can shoot 40 S&W in it. I have not tried it till I hear or read that it is so. I dont want to damage a match barrel. Then I have the little 380 Colt Government that looks like a 1911 that was left too long in the dryer.. A 38 Super, maybe I have 2 boxes of ammo in 38 Super.

Reactions: Ellis93

·
Premium Member
6,491 Posts
I thought the Lord's caliber was the 45 Long Colt. :D

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,941 Posts
Only thing I ever replaced on one was ; I think the name was a tenon[sp] .On the grips, the grip screws screw into a tenon that are replaceable on the frame. And I would guess a mainspring if you shot a lot. I have owned my Dads Colt for 22 years now and when I replaced the grips, I put a couple of those tenons in with new grips. I am sure there would be maybe more but not a lot of things that would wear out easily. Maybe a drop or two of lube on the slide after you break it down and give a good cleaning. I own 2 full size, 1 Officers and two 380 clones, a Colt Government and a Sig. Those two parts that go into the frame for the grip screws is all . But as we all know there are some people that could tear up a Sherman Tank by looking at it.
Think it is Marines that tear things up and are really good at it. :)
DEADEYE 1... generally that part the grip panel screws fit into is generally called a bushing or an escutcheon. The "tenon" is typically the part of a front sight that is staked on a M1911... :)

Reactions: DEADEYE 1

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,941 Posts
@HerrZnk ... you might wanna add a spare slide stop to that list of parts... preferably one machined from quality forged steel bar stock.

Reactions: HerrZnk

·
Premium Member
6,491 Posts
Thanks Cliff, sometimes the wrong word pops up even when thinking of the right person or part.

Reactions: Cliff731 and rigrat

·
Premium Member
6,491 Posts
Well, they say thought thought he had to fart, but :poop: his pants instead!
They say that the 45 Colt won the West. But in truth it had a part along with the 1875 Remington, the 44-40 caliber, the Henrys and the Winchester and along with a Double Barrel Shotgun called the Davis of which I have one. The first ones were made around the 1850s. After the Philippine insurrection and the poor debut in combat of the 38 Colt ,before there were enough 1911s around, the 38 special was developed and the 45 Long Colt went back into action. Patton liked them also even in WW2. May be a brain fart but deadly round.

Reactions: BasMstr and rigrat

·
μολὼν λαβέ
38,417 Posts
38 super Gods caliber for the Mexican people. Because they can't own 45 or 9mm.

·
Danged ole' Hermit...
13,941 Posts
Thanks Cliff, sometimes the wrong word pops up even when thinking of the right person or part.
Not to worry, DEADEYE 1... I "suffer" from the same too... :giggle:

·
μολὼν λαβέ
38,417 Posts
Reactions: Ellis93

·
Premium Member
15,003 Posts
LOL, I actually have always wanted a 38 super . Just don't think it was the intended caliber that goes to the 45 acp.
It’s the whole chicken and the egg conundrum. 45acp will always be the caliber for this platform. You just have those delusional few that just have to be weird and take it off into left field. 😂

·
μολὼν λαβέ
38,417 Posts
It’s the whole chicken and the egg conundrum. 45acp will always be the caliber for this platform. You just have those delusional few that just have to be weird and take it off into left field. 😂
Not really. It was originally designed for the 45 acp as the 38 long colt was in-effective against the Mora tribesmen.

"Colonel John T. Thompson stated that the new pistol "should not be of less than .45 caliber" and would preferably be semi-automatic in operation. "

And that is how and why the 1911 was designed by John Moses Browning.

Reactions: HerrZnk

·
Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
21,851 Posts
Not really. It was originally designed for the 45 acp as the 38 long colt was in-effective against the Mora tribesmen.

"Colonel John T. Thompson stated that the new pistol "should not be of less than .45 caliber" and would preferably be semi-automatic in operation. "

Browning designed the .45acp in 1904 as result of the Army wanting a .45 to replace the .38, he designed the Colt Model 1905 to shoot it. The 1911 evolved from it to meet what the Army's required for the pistol, like the grip safety and thumb safety.

Reactions: rigrat and Ellis93

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
Browning designed the .45acp in 1904 as result of the Army wanting a .45 to replace the .38, he designed the Colt Model 1905 to shoot it. The 1911 evolved from it to meet the Army's required for the pistol, like the grip safety and thumb safety.

And so, the almighty dollar had spoken.

·
Premium Member
15,003 Posts

Browning designed the .45acp in 1904 as result of the Army wanting a .45 to replace the .38, he designed the Colt Model 1905 to shoot it. The 1911 evolved from it to meet the Army's required for the pistol, like the grip safety and thumb safety.
As I said…….chicken……egg………chicken…….or is it egg…….chicken…….egg.
👎🏿
83D8B0BF-3511-40A6-AA4A-7C5E5A609B98.gif

·
μολὼν λαβέ
38,417 Posts
Browning designed the .45acp in 1904 as result of the Army wanting a .45 to replace the .38, he designed the Colt Model 1905 to shoot it. The 1911 evolved from it to meet what the Army's required for the pistol, like the grip safety and thumb safety.
Yep that's pretty much what I said.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
38,417 Posts
As I said…….chicken……egg………chicken…….or is it egg…….chicken…….egg.

👎🏿
View attachment 269781
I don't get where you are confused on which caliber the 1911 was first chambered in? Being confused with that is the only way you could have chicken egg whatever.

Get back in the truck I got this.

61 - 80 of 83 Posts