close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Spotting scope

Discussion in 'Optics and Accessories' started by L Smith, Apr 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. L Smith

L Smith Distinguished Poster

Trying to decide between Leupold SX-1 Ventana 80mm or Celestron Ultima 80 or 100mm. I have a Konus Konuspot 80mm now and can't see holes in paper targets @ 200 yds unless conditions are favorable. I know even the best scopes have problems with heat mirage. Do you think one of these will at least be better than what I have now? If not, I will just have to keep saving up to get a Kowa or Vortex.

2. Quickeye

Quickeye Vietnam & Persian Gulf Wars MSGO Supporter

I don't know about 200yds, but at 100, I tried 2or3 different brands, some high end, and discovered unless the objective is 60mm or better couldn't see holes, no matter how good the glass. 'Have been using the Nikon for years, and the rubber armor is cracking, so bought a Celestron 100mm Obj. Telescope for $100.00 from Harbor Freight or Cheaper than dirt, as a back up. Haven't needed it yet.
    Just passing on about the size of the objective vs. quality of glass.:)

3. Sum Gy Custom Firearms

Sum Gy Custom Firearms Distinguished Poster

I have only found 1 or 2 that I can afford that will do 7mm and larger at 500 yards

phillipd, L Smith and fordpkup like this.
  4. chris_k

chris_k Distinguished Poster

I have a vortex viper 80mm, I got for a complete steal from Cabelas a few years ago. Cabelas had them for $350. I thought it had to be a mistake. Ordered 1, love it. I doubt you will find one now for anywhere near that price, but I can say they are awesome.

Edit: sorry. I typoed the price. Fixed now.

phillipd, L Smith, Quickeye and 2 others like this.
  5. TippersDad

TippersDad Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Want to double your money?
    I'll even drive down to pick it up..

6. chris_k

I had originally bought two of them, and tried to sell the other one for 399 with no bites. So I sent it back before my 30days were up.

But no, I'm not giving it up lol.

7. TippersDad

TippersDad Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I think you edited the post. You KNOW why I offered double.

8. chris_k

Yeah lol. I first thought I had paid $250 (and wrote $25), I went and checked my order history and corrected it lol.

9. 45flattop

45flattop Distinguished Poster

Jackson
    I got the same Cabelas deal on the Vortex, it even included free shipping if you
    ordered that same day and I couldn't be more satisfied.

10. Tall Boy

Tall Boy Distinguished Poster

Gotta try to one-up you on your "complete steal".
    The scene: The counter at a new sporting goods stock at Hudson's Salvage Center in Hattiesburg about 15 years ago.
    The conversation:
    Me: "How much for that Nikon Spotter XL?"
    Clerk: "It's $49.99 minus 30%. So $35."
    Me: "Are you sure? I think it's worth a LOT more than that."
    Clerk (a little frustrated): "$35."
    I opened the box to make sure there was something in there.
    Me: "I'll take it."
    After paying I took it to my truck, then returned to see if they had any more of them. Not a chance. I think it should have been $499.95 minus 30%.
    It's not the current Spotter XL II, but very similar in appearance. 16-47x60.
    A buddy took it (and my shooting sticks) on an elk hunt...Montana, I think. His guide kept borrowing it. Better than his scope. Buddy credited a last day kill on simply having the superior scope and the shooting sticks.

Cupit, phillipd, chris_k and 3 others like this.
  11. L Smith

I probably can't afford it but I'm going to ask anyway, which kinds would those 1 or 2 be?

12. Sum Gy Custom Firearms

Believe it or not a Leupold sequia and an old Bass pro red head that Annie got on sle when she worked there for 39 bucks Nikon for near 500 cut I can't afford that!!!

L Smith likes this.
  13. L Smith

I've been told the larger objective size is better but I thought she was talking about something other than a scope. I may can hold off for awhile and get the Vortex, they're in the $650 range. I tried a Nikon but it was no better than what I have now.

14. Sum Gy Custom Firearms

I would suggest not buying on brand but like a rifle scope buy what works for your eye we are all different!! The sequia is useless to me under 200 yards and works for Annie from point blank to 500 yards. The old redhead for me is point blank to 550 or 600 It only gives Annie 350 to 400. Look through all of them in the price range you are willing to spend and get the one that fits the best!!!!!

15. L Smith

Thanks, that makes a lot of sense. Next highpower match, I'll look through everyone's and see which ones I like. Thank ya'll for the advice.

16. phillipd

phillipd Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

columbus
    L Smith, that's the best thing you can do. I have a buddy with 11 top end Night Force scopes that he loves and I don't care for at all. My kid has a 5-20x50 Trijicon that he and I both love that Sum Gy and my buddy with the Night Forces can't see through. Shrek has a couple middle of the road fairly low magnification scopes that in daylight have great glass that I couldn't find a name on, but I would love to have. Don't buy one based on online reviews or what your buddies tell you. Find one and try it. Glass is like boots, trucks, and girls- don't buy it til you try it.

17. L Smith

That's a great way of putting it. I'm completely in the dark when it comes to optics and I must be even worse with women according to my track record.

18. 41 fan

41 fan Distinguished Poster

That is one of the things I like about Vans! I bought binoculars there because they let me walk out on the loading dock and try them, went with a budget of $800 max, left with a pair for just over $300.
    Go there and try a couple on the dock looking across the field, most expensive ain't always the best for everyone!
    Ronnie

L Smith, BasMstr, fordpkup and 2 others like this.