close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Springfield 1911 NRA Commemorative

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Meridian_Mike, Oct 11, 2017.

1. Meridian_Mike

Meridian_Mike Jim Bridger's evil nephew's grandson

Hello everyone,
    I just bought this NRA 125th Anniversary Commemorative Springfield from a guy here at work. He won it in a raffle in 1996 so he decided it was time to turn it into money.
    Anyway, all the paperwork is there and I am almost afraid to do ANYTHING to it for fear of ruining the value.

The conundrum.....
    I want to wipe it down and get the few finger prints that are on it cleaned off.
    Y'all think that a rig rag or something would be OK?
    I have never owned ANY of these type guns before. SO, I don't have a clue about how to care for them.
    Mike
    IMG_1711.JPG

2. Caleb C

Caleb C Distinguished Poster

Lake, MS
    Any cotton or microfiber cloth with some light oil (no solvents) should be fine.

Cliff731 likes this.

3. Meridian_Mike

10-4... Thanks for the advice.
    mike

4. Quickeye

Quickeye Soldier for Life MSGO Supporter

3-In-One oil and an old pure cotton "t" shirt. Avoid engraved gold filled areas as much as possible with the oil.

LeansVeryRight2016 and mascott like this.
  5. Meridian_Mike

10-4... That was my concern. The gold filled areas.

6. Hoot G

Hoot G Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Picayune
    Renaissance Wax. Wipe the gun off with alcohol to get it clean (remove all the oils), then apply Ren Wax. Never have to clean it again, as long as you don't shoot it. Just wipe off whatever fingerprints get on it from handling. The wax protects the finish (blue, gold, case, whatever).

Museums use it to protect and conserve all kinds of stuff.

https://www.amazon.com/Renaissance-...9&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=Renaissance+Wax&psc=1

Or don't use alcohol, just use the wax. Different people use different methods.

How to Use Wax to Protect Your Firearms - Renaissance Waxes

7. Meridian_Mike

COOL.... Thanks for that tip Hoot.

LeansVeryRight2016 and Hoot G like this.
  8. fordpkup

fordpkup Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I use Renaissance Wax on a lot of things. Good stuff.

9. TheBouncer1111

TheBouncer1111 Distinguished Poster

Remington has a silicon gun rag that they sell just about every where. I know they use them at different firearms museums on cleanup day. its a real soft microfiber rag, does great for removing fingerprints and letting the finish shine. a dull blue becomes a rich blue for instance after a wipedown.

Belderan can probably tell you what would be safe for the gold plate

10. Meridian_Mike

Thanks Bouncer!
    WOW... I am learning a lot about fine gun care.

11. Scharfschütze

Scharfschütze Waffennarr

And NEVER fire it; if you can avoid it, don't cycle the action. Once fired it's not worth much more than any other 1911, unless you find someone who just really wants one as an OCD collector thing. I can't tell you how many people we had come to our table at gun shows who had a "(fill in the blank)" commemorative, "only fired xx rounds through it", and who were extremely PO'd when Doug Bowser informed them that commemorative firearms weren't worth much more than a regular version of the same type of firearm unless in NIB unfired condition.

mascott and 22lrfan like this.
  12. Meridian_Mike

Yep, never fired (not even touched very much) and ALL of the original paperwork is inside the original box.
    It has been inside the original owners safe for 21 years.

13. GunnyGene

GunnyGene Distinguished Poster

Second the Renwax. Been using it for years on all kinds of things besides firearms - iron top table saws, planes, chisels, etc. Really stops any corrosion and slicks up stuff (important for woodworking tools). Doesn't take much - a little dab will do it. It is expensive tho.

It works by preventing O2 (and moisture) from getting through to whatever you apply it to.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2017 at 5:48 PM
    Hoot G and LeansVeryRight2016 like this.
  14. Scharfschütze

Scharfschütze Waffennarr

An investment then! Will only go up in value, especially for 1911 collectors! Congrats!

Cliff731 and LeansVeryRight2016 like this.
  15. Cliff731

Cliff731 Danged ole' Hermit...

Meridian_Mike... yes on the wax and definitely not "cycling the action" nor firing this one.

This one shows the "deeper" front strap which was typical of Springfield-Armory's 1911-A1 pistols of that era.

Do you have a photo of the other side to share with us?

16. Meridian_Mike

Speaking of "cycling the action".... How would I ever get this into a gun show without the gorillas at the front door handling it heavily, cycling etc......???

mascott likes this.
  17. Meridian_Mike

LOL.... well, I can get one. I haven't handled it much myself. I mostly just took it out and snapped a couple of pics and put it back inside the box. I noticed the fingerprints when I looked at my photos.
    I will get a couple more pics. I NEED to see the other side too..... LOL.

Cliff731 likes this.
  18. mascott

mascott Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I agree! Maybe get one of these upload_2017-10-16_7-46-56.jpeg

19. Meridian_Mike

Very good idea!
    Thanks for that tip!

Cliff731 likes this.
  20. mascott

mascott Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

That's what we're here for.:p