Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Springfield XD, 9mm. Young customer brought it into the shop with the slide locked about 3/4” back, with the end of the Firing Pin sticking out of the rear of the Slide, asked if I could get it unstuck. There were marks on the front of the Slide where he had attempted to drive the Slide back, to no avail. Looking in the Slide end (with a flashlight) I could see the Sear was stuck in front of the Rear of the Firing Pin. After thinking about it and looking it over for a while, I realized there was no way the Slide was going forward, so going back was the only option. I squeezed and locked down the Trigger and Grip Safety with a Zip Tie, clamped it in the padded jaws of the vise. Using a nylon punch, I tapped the Slide rearward until the Sear fell below the Firing Pin. Then was able to tap the Slide forward and off. He has no explanation for how this happened, and I certainly don’t know. So I’m open to suggestions. Sear Spring bad? Sear mis-molded? One of those odd things that just happened? After reassembly, function check and test fire were good.
Vance Moore
Whynot Gunsmith Shop
Meridian, Mississippi
Facebook: Whynot Gunsmith Shop
Instagram: vance_gunsmith
Trigger Air gun Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

Trigger Air gun Wood Gun barrel Revolver

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Wood stain

Air gun Wood Trigger Revolver Gun barrel

Air gun Trigger Wood Bottle Revolver

Light Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Automotive tire

Finger Grass Font Rotary tool Thumb

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
He tried to take it apart and didn't follow instructions on putting it back together. Seen this issue with a few Springfields. Even did it once myself when I first played around with one. Had a few customers who've bought them try to bring them back for a repair citing the same issue, I simply fixed it for them in a few minutes with a similar method and sent them on their way and told them to reference their manual when reassembling after takedown.

·
Premium Member
Let's go shoot some, we dont want to wound anything.
7,216 Posts
Young customer probably knows how he did it, or maybe one of his friends wanted to show him how to disassemble it. Maybe he will bring it back to you for cleaning next time.

Reactions: Vanmoo and 2A_1791
1 - 3 of 3 Posts