Spyderco

Discussion in 'Blades' started by jw736jw736, Oct 23, 2017.

1. jw736jw736

jw736jw736 Active Member

Does anyone around Jackson carry Spyderco? I'm between a benchmade 490 and spyderco PM2 but would really like to handle one before dropping the coin.. Also, I'm fairly familiar with benchmade as they seem to be sold on every corner, but can anyone offer first hand opinions on spyderco? Do you consider them comparable to bm?

Thanks!

2. oldguns

oldguns Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Ellisville
    What is the intended use? I have had a few Spydercos, mostly Enduras. I used to have to cut rope a lot, and full serrated Enduras were very good for that, not good for other cutting jobs. They were about $40 back when.
    I have had the same BM for over 15 years, it is on its second blade. It is thin and light and rides in pocket good. I also have a D'Allara Syderco as my other, like them both.

3. SOCOM SHTR

SOCOM SHTR Distinguished Poster

I carry a full-size BM onslaught, I also have a lot of older stainless endura's in the safe waiting to replace my onslaught when it breaks or I loose it. The spyderco is thin in the hand for me compared to BM, I personally think the spyderco sharpens and holds an edge a tad bit better than BM.

4. Lefty2Guns

Lefty2Guns Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Both use a great steel, both made in USA. The BM you mentioned is a little bit shorter and all most 1 oz lighter, if that matters to you as both knives are very light weight. The benchmade has 2 way, tip up carry, but the PM2 pocket clip has 4 possible positions. I don't know what kind of sharpening system you have but the 490 has s90V steel and is supposed to be very hard. I'm not sure it's something you'd be able to touch up on ceramic rods, for example. The PM2's S30V steel is an old favorite and perfect for folding knives, IMO. Looks like the PM2 also retails for about $80 or so less than the benchmade. I have said many times that the PM2 is a quite perfect every day carry folding knife, and that would be my recommendation.

Here is a link to a retailer with complete specs on both knives. Best of luck.
    https://www.bladehq.com/item--Benchmade-Amicus-Flipper-AXIS--33656
    https://www.bladehq.com/item--Spyderco-Paramilitary-2--7920

5. onlymaroonmatters

onlymaroonmatters Eat Sleep Jeep & Guns MSGO Supporter

Laurel
  6. jw736jw736

jw736jw736 Active Member

7. Lefty2Guns

CPM S110V is a great steel. I carry a Spyderco native 5 light weight as my work out knife and has never seen a speck of rust. It takes a great edge and the satin finish they put on it looks fantastic.

My 110V native needs a sharpening, I also use it for opening boxes and yard work, etc. I use a guided rod type sharpening system with diamond stones. Learning to sharpen your knives is a valuable skill, kind of like gun maintenance.

You should get the S110V PM2. Some gun stores or whatever might have a couple random spyderco knives, but no one is likely to have that limited production model in stock.

I have dealt with blade hq for many years, you can order from them with no issue.
    Best of luck!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
  8. Caleb C

Caleb C Distinguished Poster

Lake, MS
    I've got a Spyderco Police with an AUS-6 blade that I've been carrying for over 10 years. It's been the best knife I've ever owned. It's been abused and still gets used every day. There's also a new Spyderco Police with VG10 blade in the safe if/when I need it.

My experience with Benchmade is limited but I do have a Presidio automatic. After about a year of use I had to rework the mechanism. The blade also seemed inferior to that of the Spyderco.

After many years of hard service I prefer my knives to have "Seki-City Japan" stamped into the blade.

Hoot G likes this.
  9. jw736jw736

jw736jw736 Active Member

I know I need to learn but it seems like every time I get close I end up folding the edge over and winding up back at square 1. That's part of the allure to the s110v blade retention. Maybe a legit sharpening kit would be worthwhile since I don't think a stone will make a difference on s110v anyway..

10. jw736jw736

jw736jw736 Active Member

Do they still stamp that on the blades? I've never noticed.

11. Caleb C

Caleb C Distinguished Poster

Lake, MS
    I think it's laser etched now.

Be careful though. Some of the "value" models will be made in China.

12. mascott

mascott Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

They all seem to be doing that a good bit.

13. Jarhead5811

Jarhead5811 Rational Anarchist MSGO Supporter

I got my first Spyderco at the Ft. McClellan, AL, PX in ‘93. I carried it for a lot of years.

I’ve had several Benchmades over the years and they are fine knives but I think Spydercos are a better bang for your buck, IMO and I currently carry one.

My first Spyderco, current EDC Spyderco and the only Benchmade (purchased in the late ‘90’s) I could lay my hands on at a moments notice.
    93BC5420-A335-4F8A-9736-027E5DAE6199.jpeg

fordpkup likes this.
  14. jw736jw736

jw736jw736 Active Member

I was leaning towards the spyderco and thanks to yalls input I think it's definite now. BM is a great knife but for similar build quality, better steel, and lower price both favor the spy.

Jarhead5811 and Lefty2Guns like this.
  15. bluedog46

bluedog46 Distinguished Poster

spyderco is nice, but don't discount Kershaw knives. I have been collecting for a bit and do some buying and trading and selling and many people are not aware of the quality of them for the price. I recall the compound ( they don't make it anymore) was like $20 and kicked $40-60 spyderco where it hurts.

16. Lefty2Guns

Kershaw has come out with a line of USA made autos right around the $100 mark that have been fantastic. I think there are 5-7 different models in the "Launch" series, with various sizes and shapes.

I refuse to buy any cutlery made in China though, so that cuts out a lot of Kershaw products.

17. Lefty2Guns

Check this out.

18. bluedog46

bluedog46 Distinguished Poster

I agree about china, but its pretty tough to not find stuff made there. Also if I lost a knife I would much rather lose a Chinese $20 knife then a $100 usa made one.

Jarhead5811 likes this.
  19. jw736jw736

jw736jw736 Active Member

That is impressive. It's crazy what that guy did in 7min I can't do in an hour. Practice practice.

Hoot G and Jarhead5811 like this.