Started me a 03a3 fund today.

Discussion in 'Mil-Surp/C&R/Black Powder' started by Brother_Love, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Brother_Love

Brother_Love Distinguished Poster

ive been wanting a good 03a3 shooter. It does not have to be a pristine collectors rifle but neither do I want a piece of junk. I want one that is stock, with a nice bore. I’m figuring 5-900 dollar window ought to get what I want.

22lrfan likes this.
  2. Xd357

Xd357 Moderator Staff Member

Bolton
    That’s one that I want to add to mine also.

3. 22lrfan

22lrfan Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Nowdays it probably going to be closer to the $900 end of your range. Prices have really gone up on them.:(

Henry Bowman and fordpkup like this.
  4. shoeshooter

shoeshooter Distinguished Poster

Florence
    Yep. $750 if you're lucky...and not too picky.

22lrfan likes this.
  5. HerrZnk

HerrZnk Distinguished Poster

Troll every pawn shop you pass. Seriously, you will find that acorn...

22lrfan likes this.
  6. usmc-nav

usmc-nav Distinguished Poster

I had a nice one and sold it to buy my jeep about three years ago and I miss it every day. I will have another one someday

para40 likes this.
  7. Col Williamson

Col Williamson Distinguished Poster

I've been on the hunt as well all I ever find is plain 03's

8. Brother_Love

I have been and will keep looking. I got 2 from the CMP forum a couple of years ago and both of them were junk. Supposedly, two of the “best” sellers on there sold them to me and refused to make it right. I want to see the next one I purchase.

22lrfan likes this.
  9. burb1989

burb1989 Distinguished Poster

Saucier
    03A3's are tough to get a hold of nowadays. I personally haven't seen any decent ones for sale at a show in a few years, mostly just old $150 sporter jobs. Most are going to be up in the $750-$900 price range for a really good one. Under that might be a crap shoot as far as barrel condition and completeness goes. I already have a Remington 1903 which is just as good as a 03A3 and made around the same time as the first 03A3s made so I have my bases covered there. I ended up with it for far under what it was worth ($350) only because the seller didn't reassemble the back end of the bolt correctly (it wasn't screwed in all the way) and thus he thought the safety was broken. Here's mine for example. It's an amazing shooter and so far is the only rifle I have that has made bull's eyes consistently every time I've shot it.
    DSCN0846.JPG

para40, 22lrfan and usmc-nav like this.
  10. shoeshooter

shoeshooter Distinguished Poster

Florence
    I'd like an 03 to fill a little gap in my collection, but as far as shooting it I can barely handle the sights on my 03A3's. Getting old has it's drawbacks.

para40 and 22lrfan like this.
  11. Brother_Love

michael03a3 and 22lrfan like this.
  12. Brother_Love

Found this one on GB, I’ve purchased from this guy and it was a good experience.
    Item 763995163

13. stewbaby

stewbaby Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

None of the pics show the areas that would help prove it’s not a recovered drill rifle.

14. Brother_Love

I’ve written him about that but have not heard back yet.

15. HerrZnk

HerrZnk Distinguished Poster

As far as the fund goes:
    about 3 years ago we started putting our pocket change in a 5 gallon glass jar at the end of every day. This to fund our trip to NYC (Long Island) to attend our son's commencement at the USMMA. Much to our surprise, with the jar about 3/5 full, we had accumulated > $700 in less than 2 1/2 years.
    Good savings plan, we didn't miss any of the change we were dropping in there every day, the worst part was going to Regions and having them bag it up to courier to Jackson; they just deposited it into our account.
    Point is, we "made" more in that time in our change jar than we earned in interest on our savings accounts.
    So, just a suggestion for saving up for a 1903A3, or anything else.

phillipd likes this.
  16. phillipd

phillipd Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

columbus
    Mr. Malcolm if you pm your address and full name I have something for you