Status of Reciprocity agreement w/TN ?

Discussion in 'Mississippi Gun Laws' started by GunnyGene, Nov 3, 2017.

Tags:
  1. GunnyGene

GunnyGene Distinguished Poster

Was looking at TN reciprocity rules this am.

Wondering if there has been any change in our agreement with them since we no longer require a permit in MS. It seems that the wording above would be inclusive of MS residents who do not have a permit, but do have proof of MS residence (DL or similar).

I haven't been able to locate a copy of the MS/TN agreement, so if anyone can point me to the official paper please do. :)

2. DoyleAlley

DoyleAlley Distinguished Poster

I doubt they will allow a MS person who carries here without a permit to carry in TN. That is one of the two reasons to maintain a MS permit (the other being the ability to bypass NICS).

94LEVERFAN, SLBcmtr, maxhush and 2 others like this.

3. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

I beleive you are correct as they state above:

valid handgun permit, firearms permit, weapons permit, or a license issued by another state

94LEVERFAN likes this.
  4. GunnyGene

That is the question I'm trying to find the offical answer to.

Note that MS law does not distinguish between residents and non-residents who carry sans permit. Seems to me then that States we have reciprocity agreements with (TN for example) would have to reciprocate in kind, unless there has been some change in the agreement.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  5. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

I think you already found it in the wording they use about honoring a valid license issued from the state in question.

6. GunnyGene

Not sure about that, since the agreement that is apparently still in effect was likely drawn up and signed long before we passed the permitess carry law last year. And therefore would have been based on the laws of both states at the time. I doubt the bureaucrats would have taken the initiative to renegotiate that agreement based on current law, but since I haven't found a copy who knows?

7. jakeg823

jakeg823 Distinguished Poster

Richland
    If TN is a constitutional carry state, then you're probably good. Otherwise, they're under no obligation to honor MS's carry laws.

The excerpt you posted seemed pretty clear that it meant handgun permit or license, not a drivers permit or license.

This is the primary reason to keep a MS carry permit.

8. GunnyGene

TN is not a permitless carry state. But both parties are bound by the actual legal terms of a formal reciprocity agreement, same as any other legally binding contract. This ain't just a handshake over lunch.

I did shoot off an email a little while ago to DPS asking them if they could provide me with a copy of the reciprocal agreement currently in effect. The wording (the terms) of the agreement should be very specific since it is a legally binding agreement between States, and might clear up any doubts one way or the other.

Might get a reply, might not. It should be a Public Record (which I've searched for), but if I don't get a reply within a reasonable time, I'll file a FOIA request. There's no reason such agreements should be a secret, especially if they concern a matter of significant public interest.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2017
  9. jakeg823

Richland
    Try the state of TN as well. I wouldn't expect a response till Monday. State employees don't like to start new projects on Fridays.

10. GunnyGene

I thought about that, but I don't have legal standing in TN. I did explore what TN had available on the TN.gov site also, but no joy there either, except for what I've already posted.

Anyway, I'm thinking this could have some impact on the current debate about National Reciprocity.

11. 45flattop

45flattop Distinguished Poster

Jackson
    Slight correction Jake, make that ANY day that
    falls between and includes Monday through Friday.
    Ever tried to get ANYONE on the phone at a state
    agency? My luck has been less than great.:lol4:

12. jakeg823

Richland
    Been a state employee for nearly 6 years. Trust me, it's as difficult for us as it is for anyone else to get ahold of some people.

I worked at one agency where a huge portion of my job(for 3 of the 5 years) relied on answering phone calls and emails. The higher ups monitored our phone activity(missed calls, lengths of calls, hold times, etc.) and called us out on it if it was out of the ordinary. We were on top of it to the best of our ability. So yeah it's always especially frustrating to me to try to reach someone at another agency just to have my call or emails ignored.

Ravendriver likes this.
  13. GunnyGene

I got a reply from Lt. Easterling @ DPS a few minutes ago. He doesn't have a copy of the agreement. Not terribly surprising. Anyway I wrote him back and asked if he could forward my request to the Commissioner (who has the authority for reciprocal agreements per 97-37-7 ) or provide me with a point of contact for his office.

This will probably get me on somebodies list. ;) That's ok. Boat rocking can be fun. :lol3:

Jarhead5811, 94LEVERFAN and jakeg823 like this.
  14. jakeg823

Richland
    They'll have the new guy or intern hunt for it...maybe

Jarhead5811 and 94LEVERFAN like this.
  15. TheBouncer1111

TheBouncer1111 Distinguished Poster

LOL I still keep my deceased mother's and fathers' and step fathers' emails active just for that purpose. As well as the PO Box..paid for each year with a check drawn on my fathers bank account

16. GunnyGene

Just got a followup from the good Lt. He's forwarded my request to their legal dept. :rolleyes:

Jarhead5811, 94LEVERFAN and jakeg823 like this.
  17. GunnyGene

Got an email from Lt. Easterling today. MS does not have a formal reciprocity agreement with TN.

Here's the text of the email:

So that raises several questions. I reckon y'all can figure out what those questions might be.

TN.gov on the other hand is under the impression that there is a formal reciprocity agreement with MS (and other States).

Whether reciprocity is honored or not seems to depend on who's buying lunch. :hmm::rolleyes:

18. stewbaby

stewbaby Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Just holler at ole Jim Hood, he'll get right on it! (sarcasm, heavy & dripping)

mascott likes this.
  19. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

Yeah I think it is a none issue myself. If they say on the TN sight they honor Ms then you are good to go. Just don't carry without a permit as that is a Ms thing and not necessarily a TN honoring thing as they specifically state permit.