close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Steel plate for targets

Discussion in 'Group Buy Discussions' started by Shrek, May 7, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Shrek

Shrek Distinguished Poster

Was talking with Sum Gy about getting some AR500 steel target plates to hang at his place for the meet n greets. He said he knows somebody that he can get the steel from and we could cut our own. So does anyone want to go in on a sheet of steel for targets?
    I'll see if Sum Gy can get us a price for the sheet of steel, Think he said he could get 4x8' and 5x10' sheets. Mainly wanted targets for the meet n greets but we can figure out how to cut it up so people go home with targets too.

2. Sum Gy Custom Firearms

Sum Gy Custom Firearms Distinguished Poster

Got a couple prices in and waiting on a couple more will know the first of the week!! :D:D:D

I'm a Rebel, phillipd, Shrek and 2 others like this.

3. SubGunFan

SubGunFan Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Jackson
    I would be happy to donate $$$ to the steel targets. And some......... SPRAY PAINT.

4. fordpkup

fordpkup Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I will chunk in some change. :)

5. Xd357

Xd357 Moderator Staff Member

Edwards
    @Joe S. bought a sheet of it. Yall might ask him.

6. phillipd

phillipd Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

columbus
    Just now seeing this. I have a price from one vendor and talked(texted) Joe about where he got his. Been a little strung out between work and grandparents so I haven't gotten around to calling Joe's place yet, but will next week. So far the prices I got are astronomical compared to mild steel, but way cheaper than buying precut targets online.

Mesquite, Shrek, BasMstr and 2 others like this.
  7. Canman

Canman Distinguished Poster

Brandon
    I just bought
    18"x24" $110
    12" circle $32
    601metalworks in Richland

8. Canman

Canman Distinguished Poster

Brandon
  9. mascott

mascott Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I bought a set of 6 pre-cut with mounting ears sizes 3" up to 12" for $72 shipped. I have since gone back to bonanza.com and do not see them. I had posted this in a post before that was talking about steel targets.

10. phillipd

columbus
    Best price I can find so far on a full sheet of 3/8 is a little over $14/square foot. So that would be less than half of the pre-cut targets mentioned. Maybe it isn't that high after all. I have a torch and a plasma cutter. I talked to my buddy with oilfield/fab shop. He pointed out that the ears on the targets were the problem when cutting by hand. Its hard to get it just right and wastes material. Why not just cut the shape you want and weld mild steel ears or cut holes for hooks?

11. Shrek

I'm game for whatever works/easiest. Maybe get a bunch of Bernie/Hillary supporters to hold the targets?

tWillis, camohuntin, BasMstr and 5 others like this.
  12. Leadburner

Leadburner Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

• Cutting AR500
    Cutting AR500

ShootSteel.com only uses CNC Laser cutting on AR500 steel targets. Some of you might ask why. Hear is a quick explanation.

AR500 steel is an abrasion resistant steel often used in mining, material handling and other high wear applications. Due to its material properties AR500 steel also makes great rifle grade targets. The steel is actually quite different that the usual Cold Rolled and Hot Rolled varieties you may find at the hardware store. AR500 steel is specifically alloyed to yield the properties that make it so useful. In addition each sheet goes through a heat treatment process to bring the hardness up to 500BHN. Hot and Cold rolled steels are shipped as-rolled and are NOT heat treated.

When steel is cut heat is generated. Heat is the enemy of hardness. You are essentially annealing the edges of the plate when heated under cutting temperatures, this area is called the heat affected zone (HAZ). The less heat that is induced into the part the smaller the HAZ. Laser cutting uses a highly focused beam of energy to cut through the steel. This introduces very little heat into the part, creating a very small HAZ.

Laser cutting also has low setup costs, often making it more economical that waterjet cutting. Waterjet cutting is an acceptable method for cutting AR500 grade steel. The heat generated in waterjet cutting is minimal due to the large amounts of water flowing over the material.

You may also see other companies using water submerged plasma. This is an economical form of cutting designed for metals such as abrasion resistant steels. Water submerged plasma does generate a HAZ that is greater than any of the previously mentioned methods.

The cheapest and one of the worst way to cut AR500 grade steel is Plasma. Plasma cutting generates large amounts of heat that is deposited into the target, softening it's edges. The HAZ generated by plasma cutting is the largest out of the most commonly used methods for cutting abrasion resistant steel. You might ask why any shop would use Plasma cutting on AR500 grade steel. The #1 reason: COST Plasma cutters are cheap and relatively compact compared to other methods. CNC plasma cutters can be purchased for just a few thousand dollars.

Keep this in mind when shopping for AR500 steel targets. We cut our targets with a laser for a reason – to provide you with the finest steel targets available. Beware of companies that are plasma cutting targets, you are not getting the same quality.

13. Leadburner

I might be in for a target or two. but we need to find a water jet. Think JoeS had some cut around here.

14. phillipd

columbus
    Leadburner, as far as I know (which ain't far) water jet is out of the question around here. I bought a few that Joe had cut, and they are nice. I don't know for sure, but I'd bet money I don't have that they were cut with either a torch or plasma arc. For targets I wouldn't think it would matter too much. If only the edges were affected by using heat then it would only be a problem if you were a crappy shot.

15. Shrek

That would be me :fullauto:

16. Leadburner

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  17. Sum Gy Custom Firearms

Sum Gy Custom Firearms Distinguished Poster

Cutting AR500!!!!!!! :lol6::lol6::lol6::lol6: I was cutting and welding AR500 before any of you ever heard of it!!!!!
    :lol6::lol6::lol6::lol6:

18. Leadburner

Welcome home deer. Sounds like you just volunteered for some work.:D

19. phillipd

columbus