close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Steel target question.

Discussion in 'All Things Steel' started by Canman, May 10, 2016.

1. Canman

Canman Distinguished Poster

Brandon
    On the target stand how tall a piece of square stock "the piece you put the 2x4 into to hold the target " needs to be?
    The biggest target I have is a 18"x24" steel plate the rest are 12" 10" and 8" round plates

Last edited: May 10, 2016
  2. Dave

Dave Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Steel challenge stage targets are measured from the top of the plate to the ground. The normal height of the 18" x 24" targets is 5' 6" from the top of the plate to the ground. Doing it this way the type of stand doesn't matter. The 12" round plates are all 5' 0" from the top of the plate to the ground. The 10" plates depend on the stage. 5 to go are 5' from the top of the plate to the ground and Pendulum the top of the plate to the ground is 6' 0". The club uses 3 different lengths of 2x4s depending on the stage. I use the same posts for everything except Pendulum for practice. My 18" x 24" targets are a couple of inches low but it is close enough for practice in my opinion.

It is a good idea to put a piece of 1/4" angle iron over the front of the 2 x4. This will reduce the number of times you have to replace the wood from post shots. It takes me 2 and at the most 3 hits from a .45 just below the plate to have the plate fall to the ground. 3' or 4' lengths of angle iron work pretty well. I mount mine just below the top cap.

Steel Challenge doesn't use 8" plates. I occasionally will slip one in during practice just for something different.

3. Dave

The lengths of wood used at MRPC for Steel Challenge are
    56 1/2" for the 5' targets
    58" for the 5' 6" targets
    69" for the 6' targets

This is for the ones they got from JABS

They are the same ones I have.

I figure most wood 2 x 4 s are 1-1/2 by 3-1/2" some might run slightly over this but most are just slightly under. You want the opening to be big enough to slide a 2 x 4 into the opening. Using a tube that is tight might make you sand down the ends of the 2x4s or jam them in and have fun getting them out again. Remember wood swells when it gets wet.

4. Dave

The 2x4 sits in the tube 6".

It only takes me an hour to read what you are asking correctly.