Steel Targets!

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by Chris Boyd, Mar 27, 2018.

Tags:
  1. Chris Boyd

Chris Boyd Distinguished Poster

SW MS
    I know that someone here on the forums makes and sells steel targets. Can someone please direct me to them. Thanks!

2. Redlick83

Redlick83 Distinguished Poster

Starkville
    phillipd

I dont know where you are in SW MS, but if you need anything I might be able to help with delivery. I am originally from SW MS and now live 20-25 min from Phillip. Plus it might give me an excuse to go home some more, preferably before turkey season ends. ;)

3. Chris Boyd

Chris Boyd Distinguished Poster

SW MS
    Thanks for the recommendation. I'm in McComb. I'm in the market for a couple of smallish centers. A 4" and a 6". For shooting out to 100 yards with calibers up to 5.56/7.62x39/300 BO. Though I wouldn't mind targets that can handle 7.62x54R, .308, 30/06, and 8x56MMR. But I'm sure that's asking for a lot.

4. Redlick83

Redlick83 Distinguished Poster

Starkville
    AR 500 steel can handle those calibers depending on the thickness. Ill let Phillip respond about what thickness you may need and what ranges they will work at, etc. I am from Fayette area just north of Natchez so if needed I could probably meet you somewhere fairly close.

5. onlymaroonmatters

onlymaroonmatters Eat Sleep Jeep & Guns MSGO Supporter

Laurel
    @phillipd is your man :101010:

And don't worry if distance between. We can take care of that ;) Plus him and @Southern Reloading are always making cross state trips.

6. TwangBanger

TwangBanger Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

@phillipd has steel that will stand up to a .50 BMG, so I think your '06, NATO, Mauser & Mosin will be fine.

SLBcmtr, bucmeister, phillipd and 5 others like this.
  7. Jarhead5811

Jarhead5811 Rational Anarchist MSGO Supporter

^^^THIS!!!^^^

8. Dave

Dave Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

PhillipD makes quite a variety of targets. Shoot him a PM and I'm sure he has something to suit your needs.

9. Dave

Dave Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

There are some other knock over targets he makes too. I have rabbits, squirrels, crow, dove. Shooting them with pistols doesn't do anything to them except knock off the paint.

Jarhead5811 and phillipd like this.
  10. Southern Reloading

Southern Reloading Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

If you make a deal with Phillip I will be in Starkville not this weekend but the next! We can get them to you. And I think on the South Ms Forum go back to the first M&G at Coast Rifle and Pistol Club. Video of his plate being shot with a 50. Knocked it over and put a little dent in it at 100yds!

Also If you have shot steel at CRPC, Magnolia and a couple others, it was probably Phillips!

11. nonnieselman

nonnieselman Nocturnal Specialties

Go ahead and splurge for the 1/2" AR500 targets.
    Ive got a couple from him and shoot them with 300WM all the time.

Only thing that i have found that will tear them up is a .22-250.

12. nonnieselman

53 grain nosler varmageddon 3850fps MV
    It pulls some good size chunks out. [​IMG]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

13. onlymaroonmatters

onlymaroonmatters Eat Sleep Jeep & Guns MSGO Supporter

Laurel
    Dang. Distance from target?

phillipd, Jarhead5811 and rigrat like this.
  14. nonnieselman

200 or 250 I think

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

15. bucmeister

bucmeister Distinguished Poster

SW-MS
    The way Phillip explained it to me the damage comes from the velocity (3000fps+ at impact) not the mass of the bullet. Seems a 55gr 224 caliber at 3400 with leave more damage than a 180gr 30 caliber at 2800. Which I guess explains why the 22-250 leaves such a mark.

16. nonnieselman

Yep. Speed Kills.
    40gr Vmax at 4200FPS tears them up bad also. :D
    But again it depends on how the target is mounted also. Long chains and it deflects more energy. Short chain or solid mount makes it ring louder but also absorbs more energy.

17. bucmeister

bucmeister Distinguished Poster

SW-MS
    The way the chains attach to the plate also should affect the amount of damage. If you run a carriage bolt through then put a nut or two on it before the chain the plate will hang with more deflection angle toward the ground which should help shed the sharpness of the impact plus direct the splatter downward more effectively as it would be a glancing blow. Whereas if you hang the plates with clevises so that it hangs straight up the reaction and ring might be better because the hits will be square and solid.

phillipd, Jarhead5811 and rigrat like this.
  18. JoseyWalesII

JoseyWalesII Distinguished Poster

All good advice, especially on hanging the steel. I have several of phillipd targets and they have held up (show no damage at all) to much abuse at various ranges and caliber's.

I also have some pawn shop steel targets that are a joke, I'll never buy any brand X again.

19. rigrat

rigrat Semper Fi

Ok chains put on my 4" as per phillipd's suggestion. Now to get it hung up, and then to get chains on the 10".

IMG_3753 (Small).JPG