Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Premium Member
14,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a few pictures of one of my old .22's. This one is a Stevens Model 70 Visible Loader. Around 300,000 were built from 1907 to 1934. This one has a 3 digit serial no. I like the unique things they tried in some of these old ones.
[/url][/img]
[/url][/img]
[/url][/img]
[/url][/img]

When this one is pumped the shells are lifted straight up in groves cut in the breech block and into the extractors. They are lined up with the bore and go straight into the chamber when the breech block moves forward. You can see where the name visible loader came from.

[/url][/img]
[/url][/img]

After each shot the next round pushes the empty case upward and out of the extractors. After the last shot the empty shell has to be removed by hand.

[/url][/img]

You've got to keep it really clean to keep it working right. It's nickname was the "miserable" loader. I've been watching e-bay for years trying to find a tang sight for it. If you happen to have an extra Lyman No. 1 with a SV code laying around let me know.

· Premium Member
14,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can you imagine the excitement of a kid who got one of these? This was 1907 cutting edge technology! Most kids were shooting single shots. The rich ones had Wincherster 1890 or 1906 pumps or possible a Marlin 1897. The thought of being able to rattle off a dozen .22's as fast as you could pump it must have been amazing. Not that you would have ever wasted them like that. You had to save up your allowance to buy a box of .22's. We're spoiled!!!!

· Registered
9,811 Posts
And that is IF you were lucky enough to get an "allowance"... I'd imagine many a boxes were bought from a lil kid collecting and selling snakes or something. (That's how my dad made a lil extra money as a kid).

Great pics! Thanks!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.