close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Stolen Gun and Karma

Discussion in 'General Firearms Discussion' started by jakeg823, Jan 10, 2018.

1. jakeg823

jakeg823 Distinguished Poster

I know how much we all love thieves, especially gun thieves around here, so I thought y’all might appreciate this story. I don’t have all of the details I’m sure, just what I was told today at lunch by my boss.

My boss was having some work done at her house last week, and apparently they had a couple firearms, that wouldn’t fit in the safe, stashed around the house. At some point they realized one of her husbands pistols had gone missing since the workers(6 or 7 of them) had been in the house.

They called the boss of the crew and he confronted the workers, one of which had come back from the weekend with a bandaged hand. The boss apparently told them they were on video the whole time they were in the house(whether they were or not is beyond me) and guess who confessed: yep!

Apparently, the thief, around 19 or so years old, stole the gun and decided to play with it like a moron over the weekend and shot himself in the hand! They pressed charges today, so hopefully he’ll get multiple lessons for his crime.

A109BF2F-C62C-4BBA-B991-39415EEFBDA8.jpeg

4x4moses, Canman, maxhush and 16 others like this.
  2. Vick

Vick Distinguished Poster

Hope he gets all he deserves! :mad:

3. Quickeye

Quickeye Member MSGO Supporter

There'll be more!! 'Last ATF Inspection of June 17, I thought we were all through with the normal inventory and paperwork check. Then a surprise! Inspector wants to know if I had any used guns in inventory, I say Yes, and he starts writing down serial numbers to cross-reference against a stolen gun list!(State and Federal) New deal. Caveat Emptor.

4. DEADEYE 1

DEADEYE 1 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

I don,t know what they call it but it is Good to Hear.:101010: I hope they find one stolen from me 23 years ago. Model 29 Classic. I would not have to shoot the one that stole it , I am good bit older but I think I could break some bones. I think that I know who got it, he has paid for it in other ways. But when you can,t prove, it is best to wait. I still have the box it came in.

5. Scharfschütze

Scharfschütze Waffennarr

Whenever (on the rare occasion) I have sold a gun to a pawn / dealer they have called local LE to run the serial number, even a dealer who's known me for 20+ years. Can't be too careful I guess.
    Then there's the case of Douglas Bowser and the German K98k he pawned and went to get it and was told it was stolen, arrested. Doug had to go before a judge and explain how the Germans started serial numbers over and over again in different years; with a K98k it's not just the serial #, you have to look at combination of mfg., year, AND serial #. Needless to say Doug got his rifle back.

94LEVERFAN, maxhush, Mesquite and 4 others like this.
  6. jakeg823

jakeg823 Distinguished Poster

Don’t know if I’ve heard that Doug story before. He seems like one of those guys though that when he speaks, you better listen.

7. NRA_guy

NRA_guy Distinguished Poster

It's a shame that when I buy a gun on the street I can't run the serial number against the stolen guns database.

It makes no sense to me unless the establishment doesn't want us to help them find stolen guns and avoid buying one.

8. Quickeye

Quickeye Member MSGO Supporter

Call your local "Troop" of the MS Hwy Patrol". They will usually help you with a serial number.

9. Jarhead5811

Jarhead5811 Rational Anarchist MSGO Supporter

If they did have a way, the NSA would use it and other electronic data to create a database that would likely be nearly as good as registration. Of course, I bet they already have something or could produce something from existing data to be nearly as bad.

94LEVERFAN likes this.
  10. cottonmouth

cottonmouth Distinguished Poster

He'll get off easy. If the value of the gun was under $1,000 it's a misdemeanor. It's crazy that it's a misdemeanor to actually steal a gun but a felony to be caught in possession of a stolen gun.

J.B.

94LEVERFAN, maxhush and jakeg823 like this.
  11. Scharfschütze

Scharfschütze Waffennarr

The felony / misdemeanor threshold is now $1k ? I thought it was once $200 ! Is this a recent change or am I just plain wrong?

Jarhead5811 and jakeg823 like this.
  12. DoyleAlley

DoyleAlley Distinguished Poster

NRA_guy, FL used to have an on-line search function maintained by the FDLE. It doesn't seem to be active anymore and it never did contain a full list of stolen firearms.

NRA_guy likes this.
  13. Vick

I was lucky when I had my gun shop in Natchez...I had a good relationship with the Police and Sherriff's Departments and they would run an instant check on any gun I bought and called in to them. Recovered several stolen guns this way, but almost none were brought in by a person they suspected of stealing them; they were able to trace a few back to the thief, though; I always kept the potential seller at the shop until the LEO's showed up. Saved me from loosing a lot of money and got a few thieves off the streets.

14. patchz

patchz Court Jester

We used to run numbers or folks that called in during a buy or swap deal. But there have been some changes to NCIC authorizations since I retired that I'm not up on. I'm pretty sure an officer has to make the request to run something and he better have a good reason.

94LEVERFAN, Vick and Jarhead5811 like this.
  15. Vick

Even way back then (early '80's), many departments wouldn't check serial numbers for dealers. I'm sure it helped that I worked on many officers's/deputies' guns and didn't charge them for small jobs or gave them deep discounts on bigger jobs and items purchased.

Jarhead5811 likes this.
  16. cottonmouth

cottonmouth Distinguished Poster

Not sure what years but it went to $500 and then to $1,000. Inflation!?

J.B.

94LEVERFAN and Jarhead5811 like this.
  17. steve2112

steve2112 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Clinton
    The ATF actually recovered one of mine that got stolen. It seems the guy got busted by the US Marshalls on an unrelated charge, and when they found the gun, they tacked on a "trafficking in stolen weapons" charge, so it seems to be an add on charge.

94LEVERFAN likes this.