Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have about three acres on a powerline here at the house I am about to plant for summer. I am going with the summer release blend from Green Cover Seeds

I am trying their seed this year to see if I get a better yield and forage than the seeds I buy local. If not, next year I will go back to buying local.

Do yall plant summer plots? What practices or tips work for you?

Also, does anyone know where I can rent or borrow a roller crimper? I am going to broadcast my seed this year but would like to crimp the current stand of winter wheat to start leaving a good mulch on the land.
Tire Wheel Vehicle Tractor Automotive tire

Lastly, Monday, I am going to place my order with Green Cover for their summer release. While at it, I am going to order my Fall Release too. Anyone want to throw in and split shipping? Currently, I am at about $200 for shipping on 500# of seed. If anyone wanted to go in with me, you could get some high quality seed at a reduced shipping rate.

·
Registered
726 Posts
I throw out some clover with my fall stuff, it's all over the plots now. I don't know that it does any good, but I do have a lot more clover inside my electric fenced garden than out in the rest of the field.

·
Premium Member
Let's go shoot some, we dont want to wound anything.
7,218 Posts
I have been back planting summer plots the last couple years. I experimented with it some years ago.I have planted iron clay/cow peas, alfalfa, soybeans, and corn. Soybeans were a flop as was the kind of yellow corn that I planted. However the deer, bucks and does loved the iron clay soybeans. All I do is bush-hog some strips 20-30 feet wide in my fields. Let lay and die for a week to two weeks. Then I come back with my hopper and broadcast the peas and come back with a couple bags of 13-13-13. Then I switch tractors with my 5 foot disc; I cut under the dead grass and let my discs cut about 4-6 inches deep. Set you up a camera or two and check the pictures every week or two. I have pictures of a nice buck feeding in my peas at 9-10 in the morning in September. The peas were still blooming a second crop of peas and they were at least 4 feet high. I have a medium light set of double disks that I bought with my old Massey 135 27 years ago. You can use a heavier disk, just don't let it go deep when you are planting the seed. I experimented years ago because I had so much to plant and limited time. Instead of picking and letting it lay a week, then going back to plant, I do it all in one step. It works good especially on ground that you have planted for years. There are several ways to plant but mine works well and you can be hunting or fishing without having to make an extra trip planting. If it is new ground and you have time, sure you can dic the grass under and come back a day or week or two later to plant. I have had several of the other guys that hunt around me, how I planted and what I planted because I was consistently shooting bucks on 165 acres and they had over 2500 acres to hunt. Plant it and they will come. Good luck Joe, let us know how that clover works. A 50 pound bag of Cow Peas cost around 50 dollars last year. I don't recommend alfalfa. Sure deer eat it but it is like cutting rope with my bush hog.And it is a perennial and will keep coming up for a couple years.

Reactions: Joe S.

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We put down 200# of this yesterday along with 400# of fertilizer so hopefully it will work.

Waiting on the hydraulics shop to fix our ram for the disc so i can run over it to fluff the ground a little. Not gonna go crazy with it. Just enough to break up the ground a little so the seed can penetrate. I want to have a bit of a mulch on top to help stop erosion and hopefully protect the seed somewhat from birds and turkeys.

·
Premium Member
Let's go shoot some, we dont want to wound anything.
7,218 Posts
I have been looking for a clover that would survive Mississippi Summer. Is this a new product? I mostly have used Ladino white and crimson and some seed mix that my cousin gave me.
Clover as you know puts nitrogen back in the soil. Please take some pictures in July or every few weeks. The size and health of our deer has benefitted from the Summer plots.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts