Mississippi Gun Owners banner

SUPER Size Revolver, 22 long rifle

2K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  DEADEYE 1 
#1 ·
I,ll try to take a picture tomorrow. I got a rebuild project that was built by a Gunsmith that passed away a couple years ago. The best I can tell is he took a Hawes Revolver and put a 16 inch barrel on it. The revolver is cycling at times and sometimes it does not. I spent about an hour diagnosing the problem [ no charge] before I take it apart.
The spring that pushes the lifter out to engage the back of the cylinder has either broken or lost it,s tension. He specially built this gun for a guy that wants it for shooting rodents and snakes. If he had it in a holster it would probably come to his knee.

#8 ·
:groan: This thread is useless without pictures!! LOL

Reactions: I'm a Rebel
#11 ·
I have a good excuse. I was talking to the owner of the revolver around 11.30 yesterday and my phone went out. It had a sound like a motor running. No phone, and no computer. It was going to take till Friday to get it fixed so I told them to let me talk to a real person insted of a robot. Due to my health they got down here today. The repairman called me and woke me up and said it was his fault. The County was doing fall bush hogging down here yesterday and while he was fixing another line, he left a wire on mine. When it rains it pours.
Product Revolver
Auto part Tool Revolver
32904[/ATTACH] Auto part Tool Revolver
Product Revolver
Auto part Tool Revolver

#13 ·
Quickeye, Something told me that it had another name. I could have swore that it called it a lifter in Numrich catalog. When my sugar gets high or low, I have trouble remembering words. Part of getting old I rekon. I figured ya,ll know what I was talking about. I,ll send you a PM. Thanks.

#15 ·
I have trouble remembering words regardless of my sugar level. :confused:

And I knew it was hand but when I read it, it slipped right by me. :(

#14 ·
I rebuilt a old Ruger Buntline several years ago. That thing was super accurate. I tried 2 times to buy it but the owner would not sell it. To me it is a good conversation piece but I would rather carry a 4.5 inch to 6 inch revolver.

#18 ·
As you may have seen in my writing, I have evolved in my preference on barrel lemgth. I was usually told that shorter barrels were not as accurate. In theory and just looking at a Long John revolver it just looks like a long barrel would be more accurate. You have to learn how to shoot the long barrel, it is like taking a 22 carbine and and bolting it to the revolver, which is pretty close.
To me it is similar to what used to be popular down South and still is in places. When Hunters started transistioning from shotguns for deer to rifles with scopes. They were told that they could look under the scope through the mounts if the deer was up close or running. In the excitement of a Big Buck jumping up at 10 feet, many Hunters found out that under extreme stress they could not find the running deer through a hole in the mount under the scope all while the Big Buck was escaping into the next County.
My solution, use one or the other, medium size barrel or long barrel, open sights or scope. become proficient with the gun that you carry most often. Then in a high stress situation your mind is not confused and your muscles are trained in handling and shooting your weapon .

Reactions: I'm a Rebel
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.