Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don’t know if anyone has done this before, but I’d really like to get an extremely long custom barrel for a manual action 22lr repeater. I recall reading in a magazine many years ago about duck hunters who shot close to heavily populated areas, so they used custom barrels roughly six feet long. These barrels being a little over double the standard length resulted in greatly reduced noise. I’m hoping to achieve the same with 22. I know I could just use a standard barrel and shoot CBs or the like, but I’d much rather get that same nearly suppressed performance out of standard inexpensive bulk pack bricks. My thought right now is to get a barrel so long that a regular .22lr fired in it results in a squib, measure how far down the bore the bullet got, then cut the barrel just short of that length. Does anyone know of anything like this being done before?

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Did I have a stroke?
🤣 🤣 🤣

You're good, bro. He made two threads at the same time in two different sections.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
With bulk pack it will still have a supersonic crack so barrel length will not help that. Your best bet would be cci quiet ammo. It’s 700 fps 40 gr. It’s quiet without a supressor.
Assuming a long enough barrel, you’d get complete powder burn and then the friction from additional barrel length beyond that point will bring the velocity back down. The ideal length would be somewhere after slowing the projectile to subsonic speeds, but before running out of velocity completely resulting in a squib. It would definitely take a good bit of trial and error, and I understand that it probably wouldn’t be worth it to most people. Just an idea I’ve been kicking around.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
🤣 🤣 🤣

You're good, bro. He made two threads at the same time in two different sections.

I did. I originally posted in rimfire, but then thought it might be more applicable to suppressors.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts