Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
I’ve got one more silver dollar
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’m definitely in the market for my first suppressor. I’m looking for actual personal experience of cans owned and used by members here. I was kinda steered towards the Omega by the Armory. I want to use it on .308 , .300acc , 6.8 spc and 5.56. What do y’all use

·
Eat Sleep Guns & Jeep
10,357 Posts
@Leadburner
@nonnieselman
They'll have plenty of real world experience for you.
I run an Optimus on my 300bo and 9mm handguns. Have an old YHM phantom I keep on my target AR. Have a Spectre2 22 can and a dead air mask in jail that I won. My next will be a dedicated 45 cal pistol can, probably a Rugged if had to choose now. I've been impressed with the Optimus but that's all I have experience with. YHM makes solid stuff and their titanium ones are nice and much lighter than all stainless ones.

·
Super Moderator
13,394 Posts
LB has the quietest centerfire can on a center fire rifle I have seen, and I've shot a few. It's on a .338/08 rifle. He and nonnie are tied for most quiet centerfire pistol can on a .45acp. For rimfire you will absolutely not beat the Coastal Hornet. I don't have one but Mike at Smith's Speed Shop let Jackson and I shoot half a dozen rimfire rifles and pistols with 11 or so cans and several hundred rounds. The Coastal was clearly the best and way less money. I was very impressed with the difference both in sound and cost.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I have thousands of rounds through a Sig762QD. I decided on the QD mount system instead of threading it on each time. That does require a commitment to one of two available QD mounts, a flash suppressor or a muzzle brake. I like the secure mounting system that won't back itself off, no matter what. Sig produces a really well made, very effective suppressor. It's has worked great on 7.62x39, .308 and certainly is amazing on subsonic .300 blackout.

They make the same suppressor, sans the QD mount system, if that's what you need.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
I've got a Silencerco Specwar. It's super quiet and built like a tank, but on the heavy side and there are much better mounts available now. The Omega is one of the lightest available, quiet, and plenty of good mounts to choose from. If I were to get another .30 cal, I would go with a Rugged, Omega, or Dead Air.

·
Nocturnal Specialties
7,314 Posts
I've got 3 7.62 Specwar's. They are heavy but you can beat the crap out of them.

1 7.62 YHM Phantom Stainless that's Also a tank. I've sent it off the end of a 6.8 and had to go find it in the muddy bean field. It only busted 2 baffles. $100 and it was back in 2 weeks with a new core.

1 7.62 YHM Phantom Ti
Yea it was the most expensive but at only 13 ounces, it was well worth it!

I use all them on everything from .223 to .300 Win Mag.
YHM and the Silencer Co QD mounts work great on not shifting your zero.

Shot my 20" 223 out to 1000 yards and took the can off and put it back on. 5 more rounds in the same 20 round group as before.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I have thousands of rounds through a Sig762QD. I decided on the QD mount system instead of threading it on each time. That does require a commitment to one of two available QD mounts, a flash suppressor or a muzzle brake. I like the secure mounting system that won't back itself off, no matter what. Sig produces a really well made, very effective suppressor. It's has worked great on 7.62x39, .308 and certainly is amazing on subsonic .300 blackout.

They make the same suppressor, sans the QD mount system, if that's what you need.
Definitely like my Sig762QD. Went with the Titanium version, lighter but probably not as tough or rugged as the stainless steel version. Would like to have a couple more if not a $$ issue. The mounts are about $75 each and they do not have approval for a blast shield. Called and talked to someone at the company about why, said ATF measurement method showed it reduced the sound to the shooter's ear more than allowed so considered it a "suppressor" device. Talk about suck. I wanted something to work like a linear compensator when the can was not attached. Griffin has approval for their QD blast shield. Don't really understand how one can get approval when another can't.

·
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I've got 3 7.62 Specwar's. They are heavy but you can beat the crap out of them.

1 7.62 YHM Phantom Stainless that's Also a tank. I've sent it off the end of a 6.8 and had to go find it in the muddy bean field. It only busted 2 baffles. $100 and it was back in 2 weeks with a new core.

1 7.62 YHM Phantom Ti
Yea it was the most expensive but at only 13 ounces, it was well worth it!

I use all them on everything from .223 to .300 Win Mag.
YHM and the Silencer Co QD mounts work great on not shifting your zero.

Shot my 20" 223 out to 1000 yards and took the can off and put it back on. 5 more rounds in the same 20 round group as before.

This may be a stupid question but do you use a 30 cal end cap for your 6.8 or do they make a 270 for it

·
917 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
All my cans are regular Ole welded cans. No end caps or nothing fancy.

How well does the 762 supress the 68 Is it hearing protection free. Thanks for all of your replies

·
Nocturnal Specialties
7,314 Posts
How well does the 762 supress the 68 Is it hearing protection free. Thanks for all of your replies
It's no different than the 308 ar10 or the 223 ar15 on noise. None of them are loud enough for ear pro.

But i wear ear pro when I'm zeroing or just out blasting just for the heck of it.

The quietest one is the 20" 223 cause the gas is turned down almost all the way. Bolt speed is super slow and the rifle buffer keeps it slow but still functions fine.

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I had noticed the "bolt noise" was the loudest part of shooting my AR with the can on. Was one of those "never thought about that racket" moments.

Been wanting to build a 20-22" AR with the Superlative Arms bleed off piston system just a matter time and $$, more the latter.

·
Premium Member
750 Posts
I’ve had great luck my my omega. I also like my buddy’s dead air sand man s. Both seem very comparable. The sand man is heavier but lacks barrel length restrictions, if that concerns you. The omega is a bit more price wise but offers the use of qd mounts and also direct thread. If the asr mount is not to your liking it can be exchanged to several others. The ones I can remember are the dead air key-mo, area 419, q plan b, yhm makes one also.

·
Registered
456 Posts
Jus passing through. Let me say that I have sold literally hundreds of AAC and Omega cans. I have never, and I mean, never, had a complaint with either one and I keep them in stock for these attributes. They are also available, mid range price, great prompt customer service if and when needed. Had a guy shoot one off the end of a .308 at a deer and found it 86 steps downrange undamaged. I have 4 contract hunter customers that have fired tens of K through many SDN-6s without issues. I have two, I use for demos and they have been through then ringer, rebuilt for free, and still goin.
AAC and Silencerco in my view are the best bang for your buck when multicaliber and versatility are a concern. Thanks for reading. dae

1 - 20 of 24 Posts