Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've never owned one.
I would like to get the rundown on purchasing, owning, etc.
I'm researching and I would like to suppress 9, 45, and 223, but I know very little. I have been looking at the Hybrid 46 and Obsidian 45 which would cover those calibers.
Is it better to get something like this, or something that is caliber specific?
I know for pistols I will need to change barrels and sights.
Any info from the experts on here is greatly appreciated.

·
Eat Sleep Guns & Jeep
10,357 Posts
I personally would get a 30 caliber rifle rated can and then a 45 caliber pistol can.
With the rifle can you'll just get different mounts for your different caliber rifles to use the same can.
With pistol can you'll have different pistons for the different calibers. So keep in mind how much all that costs.
Unless you for sure only want it on 223 then you could get direct thread and save a little.
With the pistol can I'd get one that's modular.
I personally only use stainless baffles, so I can clean with my ultrasonic cleaner.
Suppressed handguns are pretty fun, with subs. Suppressed 223 is a little quieter, but it's still loud.
I actually regret getting a dedicated 223 can. I was younger and inexperienced and it was my first can.
If want a dedicated 223 for one rifle then I'd get a budget one for that purpose then get a nice 45 caliber pistol can.
FYI, they are addictive. Especially rimfire cans.
When you do buy, use a shop that has a silencershop kiosk. So much easier than snail mail doing it all yourself.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well the 2 I mentioned above are priced around 800 if I'm not mistaken. I know there will be added costs such as the stamp, threaded pistol barrels, rifle mounts, taller pistol sights, etc.
For simplicity, let's just say I had $1500 to spend.

·
Eat Sleep Guns & Jeep
10,357 Posts
Depending on diameter of the can, you may or may not necessarily need taller sights. You can still be somewhat accurate at close distance aiming through the can. But you'll have time to decide and buy/install them while you wait :confused:

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok maroon, so it may be better to buy a 30 cal can to use on 223 and possibly other rifles (up to 30 cal) and buy a 45 can to use on 45 and 9?
I don't necessarily want to buy one that can only be used on 1 caliber

·
Eat Sleep Guns & Jeep
10,357 Posts
The obsidian is out of the question. It's not rated for 223.
The other looks okay. It being a do all can then it won't be as quite as a dedicated one, but you have one can you can use in anything.
You'll need two pistons(not sure if comes with booster or not). And you'll need whatever mount you'll want for 223, be it direct thread or QD.
So before any accessories you're at $1000 just for the base can.

·
Eat Sleep Guns & Jeep
10,357 Posts
As far as rifle situation. You think you might want to put it on a 30 cal one day? If you just want 223 and don't want to be swapping it to other rifle's I'd get a direct thread and save a little money. No other mounts needed. Then you could get a dedicated pistol can that comes ready to use on a 9 or 45 out of the box. And if still under budget get the other piston assembly, or save up and buy it later.

·
Eat Sleep Guns & Jeep
10,357 Posts
Silencershop website is currently down, and I have poor service at home. If it's back up while I'm at work I'll see if I can get you close to that budget with two separate cans.

Well seems to be working now

·
Eat Sleep Guns & Jeep
10,357 Posts
At this particular time, I really only plan to suppress 5.56 AR's, 9mm, and 45 pistol so this seems like it would work for that purpose.
What if I had a pistol caliber carbine? Or an AR pistol? Would those cans work for those?
The turbo is good down to 10.5" barrel with 223.
For the pistol can on PCC, you'll just remove the booster spring or use a fixed spacer mount.

·
Premium Member
13,546 Posts
I went with the Silencerco Octane 45 for pistols. At the time it was the only one I found that was rated for full power 10mm. It's also rated for subsonic .300 BO. I've got several pistons for it and currently use it on 9mm pistols and rifles, .40, 10mm, .45 and .300 BO pistols and a .30-30 leveraction with subsonic loads.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Keep the opinions and advice coming. I'm all ears.
I know everyone says "use the kiosk", but how much of this can be done online? I only ask because I'm nowhere near a kiosk.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
scott511, if you are in Florence.... Van's has a Silencerco kiosk.

Also, the Armory in Ridgeland and Guns-N-Gear in Madison have them as well.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
scott511, if you are in Florence.... Van's has a Silencerco kiosk.

Also, the Armory in Ridgeland and Guns-N-Gear in Madison have them as well.
Chief,
I do live in Florence; however I am currently working somewhere not real close.
Was just trying to figure out if any of this could be done online. I guess the fingerprints would be the holdup.

·
Registered
670 Posts
My advice would be to get the Obsidian 45 for pistol use (and .22lr because the stainless steel baffles can be cleaned).

Get a YHM Resonator R2 for rifle use. Right now you only want to suppress .223/5.56. That could change.

Example: when I bought my Obsidian 9 I only wanted to use it on 9mm and .22... and now wish I had a silencer I could use with .45.

Should be somewhat close to what you want to spend.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
MsCelery
My thinking exactly. Right now it's only 5.56, 9, and 45, but at some point I may want to go larger with rifle.

·
Premium Member
4,265 Posts
30 cal for rifle, 45 for pistol. Titanium, direct thread in what ever flavor you want & can afford. I have all types & brands of suppressors. Two options I will never buy again is a quick detach or one that can be taken apart.
:2cents:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts