Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don’t know if anyone has done this before, but I’d really like to get an extremely long custom barrel for a manual action 22lr repeater. I recall reading in a magazine many years ago about duck hunters who shot close to heavily populated areas, so they used custom barrels roughly six feet long. These barrels being a little over double the standard length resulted in greatly reduced noise. I’m hoping to achieve the same with 22. I know I could just use a standard barrel and shoot CBs or the like, but I’d much rather get that same nearly suppressed performance out of standard inexpensive bulk pack bricks. My thought right now is to get a barrel so long that a regular .22lr fired in it results in a squib, measure how far down the bore the bullet got, then cut the barrel just short of that length. Does anyone know of anything like this being done before?

·
Registered
12,392 Posts
They had 3ft barrel extensions (ie. choke tubes) and shot mini shells in those long barrel shotguns to get the desired effect.

I have read that you can achieve similar results with long barrel 38special and a fast burning powder.

22lr I am not sure about

FORM1 a suppressor as 22lr is the easiest round to suppress out there.

·
Registered
2,196 Posts
Ok my preface: I’m not an expert by comparison to an actual expert on this subject I’m probably equivalent of a pretty smart chimp.

Now then,
The audible part of an explosion is just gasses moving rapidly from a high pressure area to a low pressure area. What a suppressor does is allow gasses to deflect and bounce off of themselves slowing them down while allowing the bullet continue on at a certain speed (spressors often increase muzzle velocity but forget I said that for now). You could in theory create a scenario in which a barrel was long enough to allow for the gasses to exist the muzzle slower but it would mean the bullet would also likely exit slower also. Every cartridge based on a lot of factors (shoulder, powder column, amount of powder, type of powder, etc.) has a most efficient barrel length because the most efficient length is theoretically speaking just long enough for all that all the powder to reach full burn before the projectile leaves the barrel. Any longer begins to slow the projectile due to friction.

The big concern with 22lr is consistency particularly in longer barrel application. Because, a 22lr is so small even the tightest manufacturing tolerances on the cartridges can make big swings in performance. If a cartridge is loaded light and you barrel length is really long you could end up with a squib (bullet stuck in the barrel) and if that barrel is really long clearing the barrel will be difficult. Nevermind that though because with a 22 with a really long barrel you may not even realize it squibbed on you before you squeeze another round off and that could get pretty dangerous pretty quickly.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Big difference between a smooth and rifled bore.

I suppose one could just add a smooth bore extension that doesn't touch the bullet, but the suppression performance would be poor and the pipe would need to be very rigid which means heavy. It would quiet it down a lot for the shooter, though, with the noise exiting the barrel ten feet away. 🤪

Now let me don my anti-AFT tinfoil hat and say it's a federal felony to build ANY device for the purpose of diminishing the report of a firearm. I suppose a very long barrel would be a gray area, but you just stated on a public forum that your reason for wanting to build it is to lessen the noise.

Taping a plastic bottle to the end of the barrel has the same legal risks, provides at least as much suppression as a long ass barrel (probably outperforms it), and is easily reversible in seconds. (not that I'm suggesting anyone try it :sneaky:)

·
Eat Sleep Guns & Jeep
13,631 Posts

I suppose one could just add a smooth bore extension that doesn't touch the bullet, but the suppression performance would be poor and the pipe would need to be very rigid which means heavy. It would quiet it down a lot for the shooter, though, with the noise exiting the barrel ten feet away. 🤪

Now let me don my anti-AFT tinfoil hat and say it's a federal felony to build ANY device for the purpose of diminishing the report of a firearm. I suppose a very long barrel would be a gray area, but you just stated on a public forum that your reason for wanting to build it is to lessen the noise.

Taping a plastic bottle to the end of the barrel has the same legal risks, provides at least as much suppression as a long ass barrel (probably outperforms it), and is easily reversible in seconds. (not that I'm suggesting anyone try it :sneaky:)
Go all Bob Lee on it lol

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
They had 3ft barrel extensions (ie. choke tubes) and shot mini shells in those long barrel shotguns to get the desired effect.

I have read that you can achieve similar results with long barrel 38special and a fast burning powder.

22lr I am not sure about

FORM1 a suppressor as 22lr is the easiest round to suppress out there.
Well that explains a lot. Thanks.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok my preface: I’m not an expert by comparison to an actual expert on this subject I’m probably equivalent of a pretty smart chimp.

Now then,
The audible part of an explosion is just gasses moving rapidly from a high pressure area to a low pressure area. What a suppressor does is allow gasses to deflect and bounce off of themselves slowing them down while allowing the bullet continue on at a certain speed (spressors often increase muzzle velocity but forget I said that for now). You could in theory create a scenario in which a barrel was long enough to allow for the gasses to exist the muzzle slower but it would mean the bullet would also likely exit slower also. Every cartridge based on a lot of factors (shoulder, powder column, amount of powder, type of powder, etc.) has a most efficient barrel length because the most efficient length is theoretically speaking just long enough for all that all the powder to reach full burn before the projectile leaves the barrel. Any longer begins to slow the projectile due to friction.

The big concern with 22lr is consistency particularly in longer barrel application. Because, a 22lr is so small even the tightest manufacturing tolerances on the cartridges can make big swings in performance. If a cartridge is loaded light and you barrel length is really long you could end up with a squib (bullet stuck in the barrel) and if that barrel is really long clearing the barrel will be difficult. Nevermind that though because with a 22 with a really long barrel you may not even realize it squibbed on you before you squeeze another round off and that could get pretty dangerous pretty quickly.
Slowing the bullet back down to subsonic is part of the plan, but the big swings in performance is definitely the major problem here and something I didn’t even consider in my wiley coyote scheme! 😂

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Just efile a form 4 can and be done with it
I would, but I’d rather not voluntarily give two hundred dollars to a gang of murdering terrorists.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts