Mississippi Gun Owners banner

Suppressor Purchase

5K views 28 replies 11 participants last post by  2ALawyer 
#1 ·
I've about decided to take the plunge and purchase a supressor. I understand the paperwork requirements to get one but I'm not sure what to buy. If I understand correctly the suppressor is the registered part so it can be mounted on any firearm you own. To get the most bang for my buck I would like to get a 5.56 suppressor so I can put it on any of my AR's and .22LR rifles/pistols. Will a suppressor for a 5.56 also work on .22LR? Is there any brand to stay away from? Thanks in advance.

#4 ·
The 5.56 can is good for .22 as well, but you cant get a .22 and put it on a 5.56. If you need a hand with a trust or the paperwork shoot me a PM. I liked them so much I decided to sell the things for fun. Since you are close I can let you shoot a few different cans and then you can figure out what you like. I agree that you may want to look at another brand other than surefire. I have been pleased with bith AAC and Yankee Hill. Knowing what I know now I would get a .22 can and a .30 cal can. That allows you to shoot .22 with the .22 can and you can break it down and clean it. You can also shoot 5.56 and .308 with a .30 cal can.

#5 ·
cottonmouth said:
I got a Coastal for my AR and works great on my 10/22. But with any maker don't expect it to be lile 007's, my AR sounds like a .22 magnum or less and my 10/22 sounds like a pellet rifle with subsonic ammo.

J.B.
Since you are in Copiah county, you need to come out to the shop and shoot. We would love to see some more cans. We have a neat little range and some really fun toys.

#6 ·
Thanks for the info. I know a .22 suppressor would not work on a 5.56. It can't handle the pressure. I definitely want on that can be disassembled for cleaning. I didn't know a .30 can would work on a 5.56.

#7 ·
DO NOT buy a sealed 5.56 can if you plan to shoot .22lr through it. Most 5.56 cans are sealed and you cannot take them apart to clean them, .22lr fills up cans fast as its a very dirty round and the carbon buildup is extreme. You will fill up a non serviceable can pretty quickly shooting .22 through it and will not be able to disassemble it to clean it meaning your gonna have a loud useless can that will have to be shipped back to the manufacturer to get serviced. Your best bet is a serviceable 5.56 can (I would reccomend the Liberty Constitution) or buying 2 separate cans. Mixing .22lr and 5.56 is not the best combo, most people buy a separate .22lr can because of how often it will need to be cleaned.

I suggest you get on silencertalk.com and do some research before you make your purchase.

-spencer-

#8 ·
Oh, AAC's customers service absolutely BLOWS. I know many people who won't purchase their cans based on their crappy customer service (they own and run silencertalk.com btw), but they do make nice cans. However if you have a problem don't expect them to help you out.

SWR great cans and GREAT service

LIBERTY great cans and great service (make all their cans serviceable which is a huge plus)

AAC great cans, terrible service

Surefire.......way overpriced, dont bother

YHM.....some cans are good, some are not

Gemtech.....same as YHM
Gemtech.....crap

SWR and AAC are the big dogs in the silencer world right now.

Also, I second what Dock said.....if you wanna get two calibers with one can get a .308 can to use with your AR's as well and get a .22lr can. SWR Spectre and Liberty Kodiak are my top two choices for a .22lr can right now.

-spencer-

#9 ·
Thanks Spencer. I'm headed to silencertalk.com to do some reading.

#10 ·
I currently have a .22lr can and a .30 can....have been pleased with both selections...dont expect to quiet the .223 down to nothin. a .308 or .300 whisper with good subsonic ammo is amazingly quiet. my new can will be a .45, you can use it on a pistol or if you have a .44 cal rifle with .44 special shells....ooooo i cant wait!!!

#12 ·
My Coastal 5.56 can has a mount that will fit on any standard NATO (i.e. AR) flash hider. I initially modified my AUG's muzzle brake to a flash hider but changed it back when I realized the can wasn't really being used to best advantage. Now it's on one of my ARs.

If you cut a .22 barrel so the NATO flash hider can be screwed on, you can use it for LR as well. Also, the Coastal can be disassembled for cleaning.

#14 ·
sidroski said:
Who are you going to get to sign for it, I'm from Rankin? If you prefer, send me a PM or just tell me to do my own leg work. All this talk about them is getting me itching. Had one guy who said he'd sign for one but didn't get re-elected.
Just set up a trust. No LEO sign off needed. I have several cans that my trust owns. PM me if you want more info

#15 ·
What are the IRS implications on a trust? I don't want to have to spend a fortune doing quarterly and yearly paperwork with them. Just got through dealing with them and ain't looking toward another round. When you get them all the paperwork they want, they always come up with something else.

#16 ·
sidroski said:
What are the IRS implications on a trust? I don't want to have to spend a fortune doing quarterly and yearly paperwork with them. Just got through dealing with them and ain't looking toward another round. When you get them all the paperwork they want, they always come up with something else.
The IRS implications are very limited. Once you write the trust documents the only cost is to have the documents notorized. There is no annual fee or filing fee here in Mississippi. In my opinion the trust is not only the least expensive rout it the most flexible rout.

#17 ·
I'm in the process of setting up a LLC. With that I won't have to get the CLEO signature. I had been planning to set up a LLC business for tax purposes. This is just another reason to get it done.

#18 ·
Made and bought many in my 32 years as a class 3/ 2 mfg, got alot of the guys in the bussiness too. AWC is by far the best. Had a narc unit blow the end out of one. I sent it next day on a monday got it back friday same serial number. As an mfg you can cut it up and put the same numbers back on a new one and send it back. Kevin Britingham (AWC) is a good guy

#19 ·
chainsaw51 said:
As an mfg you can cut it up and put the same numbers back on a new one and send it back.
That is not true at all.....and an easy way to end up in jail for 25 years. The suppressor tube CANNOT be replaced without a whole new serial number, tax stamp, and waiting to get approved again.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/national-firearms-act-silencers.html#ffl-silencer-repair

22lrfan, LLC is a great way to go, I did a trust personally as I had no reason to set up an LLC otherwise, let us know once you decide what your gonna get

-spencer-

#20 ·
chainsaw51 said:
Made and bought many in my 32 years as a class 3/ 2 mfg, got alot of the guys in the bussiness too. AWC is by far the best. Had a narc unit blow the end out of one. I sent it next day on a monday got it back friday same serial number. As an mfg you can cut it up and put the same numbers back on a new one and send it back. Kevin Britingham (AWC) is a good guy
There was a time when that was allowed but those days are long gone. Now as far as the ATF is concerned any part of a supressor is the supressor so you can't even swap baffles without a new stamp. That is why you see companies like silencerco serializing their cans in places that will allow for some repair. I am not trying to pile on here but again there was a day when AWC was top of the line but several manufacturers have past them in both db's and quality. To get the awc cans as quiet as some others you have to use a gel or water and that is just a pain in the tail.

The trust vs llc issue came down to money for me. The trust cost me very little and no annual fees, the llc was $250 to set up and $35 a year to maintain your llc. Both work basically the same way. Just don't forget to pay the sec of state. If your tax resent get paid you will find yourself in quite a bind.

#21 ·
First off, I'm an attorney here. Second, i'm not sure why anyone wouldn't want to go the trust route. The LLC, while a legit way to purchase a silencer/nfa has too many variables that can really mess you up in the long run. For instance, if your LLC is administratively dissolved, what then? What happens if you don't file something on time? A trust is one and done. NO continuation of filing stuff, and no fees after the trust is written.

I have a 762-SD in a trust. It's simple. Me or my wife can have/use it. No issues.

I know some want to go the individual route, and that's fine if you want to waste time and energy getting fingerprinted, photographed, and then praying someone will sign off and 'allow' you to get your item. No thanks!

Anyways, if ya'll have questions, feel free to PM me.

:hi:

#22 ·
2ALawyer said:
First off, I'm an attorney here. Second, i'm not sure why anyone wouldn't want to go the trust route. The LLC, while a legit way to purchase a silencer/nfa has too many variables that can really mess you up in the long run. For instance, if your LLC is administratively dissolved, what then? What happens if you don't file something on time? A trust is one and done. NO continuation of filing stuff, and no fees after the trust is written.

I have a 762-SD in a trust. It's simple. Me or my wife can have/use it. No issues.

I know some want to go the individual route, and that's fine if you want to waste time and energy getting fingerprinted, photographed, and then praying someone will sign off and 'allow' you to get your item. No thanks!

Anyways, if ya'll have questions, feel free to PM me.

:hi:
Great advice!

#23 ·
2ALawyer said:
First off, I'm an attorney here. Second, i'm not sure why anyone wouldn't want to go the trust route.
Respectfully...

A trust is an excellent estate planning tool but despite the current hype, it's not the perfect way to acquire NFA items. Unless you're working on passing your assets on to your kids, then a trust is an unnecessary and complicated means of acquiring NFA firearms.

You don't "need" a trust, or corporation, or LLC, unless you can't get the CLEO signature, or you really need to be able to have someone else take the firearms somewhere without you, or you're using it as part of a comprehensive probate-avoidance plan. If you don't have a reasonable necessity for others to lawfully possess your NFA items, you can obtain the CLEO sign off, and this isn't a component of your estate planning, then a trust seems like a huge waste of attorney fees IMHO.

Trusts are like other fads in the gun world. We go through phases where everyone needs a special patrol sling, everyone needs a laser, OEG, or tactical monopod. EVERYBODY buys the slick new plastic mags, and then EVERYBODY starts having problems with worn feed lips or busted springs. Until the next new thing that everybody needs. Some of the new stuff is good and it lasts, some of it ends up in bins at gun shows marked 90% off. Some trusts have been invalidated by BATF's barristers after a transfer has taken place putting the owner in legal limbo. (probably as a result of using Quicken Willmaker) I've never heard of a CLEO sign off being invalidated.

The bottom line...
Clearly everyone has different needs and there's no one size fits all route in acquiring NFA. A trust makes perfect sense to many people but it's not always the "best" or only way to NFA ownership. Each person needs to carefully access their needs and make an informed decision that fits their individual situation. I was merely pointing out that a trust isn't the only method to own NFA and a person may spend more money than needed to acquiring these items. As I stated, it seems to be in fashion these days but many people don't completely understand what a trust actually entails.

Please don't take my comments as bashing the trust route. I'm not. It's a huge benefit to a number of people for estate planning purposes and for those who can't obtain a CLEO sign off in their area. I'm only expressing my opinions here and your mileage may indeed vary.

#24 ·
VegasSMG said:
2ALawyer said:
First off, I'm an attorney here. Second, i'm not sure why anyone wouldn't want to go the trust route.
Respectfully...

A trust is an excellent estate planning tool but despite the current hype, it's not the perfect way to acquire NFA items. Unless you're working on passing your assets on to your kids, then a trust is an unnecessary and complicated means of acquiring NFA firearms.

You don't "need" a trust, or corporation, or LLC, unless you can't get the CLEO signature, or you really need to be able to have someone else take the firearms somewhere without you, or you're using it as part of a comprehensive probate-avoidance plan.
You're right. It's not the 'perfect way' to acquire NFA, but of all the methods, it is nearly the most perfect. Of course, depending on who drafts the trust, you could have issues down the road, and maybe the 'cost' of going the cleo route (fingerprints, signature, asking permission, etc...) isn't that high for a lot of people and maybe it outweighs the "what if the atf declares my trust invalid" questions...

I would never believe that my way is the only way. It's just the least painful way, and if you are going to get more than one NFA item, it's a diminishing costs thing. You only have to pay for a trust once, and then it's good to go. Of course, if you have friendly CLEO's, you could do without, but then be the only person that can take possession of that item. I like to have my wife be able to take it if need be. Can't do that with an individual route though.

Definitely don't think you are bashing the trust. Different strokes for different folks for sure! I say, get the NFA stuff however you can (legally of course!)

#26 ·
If you already have a LLC for a business, would a trust still be the better way to go? What is the cost to set up a trust?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.