Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
14,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pervasive now and will get more so.

Excerpt:

Operating in the shadows of the online marketplace, specialized tech companies you've likely never heard of are tapping vast troves of our personal data to generate secret "surveillance scores" - digital mug shots of millions of Americans - that supposedly predict our future behavior. The firms sell their scoring services to major businesses across the U.S. economy.

People with low scores can suffer harsh consequences.

CoreLogic and TransUnion say that scores they peddle to landlords can predict whether a potential tenant will pay the rent on time, be able to "absorb rent increases," or break a lease. Large employers use HireVue, a firm that generates an "employability" score about candidates by analyzing "tens of thousands of factors," including a person's facial expressions and voice intonations. Other employers use Cornerstone's score, which considers where a job prospect lives and which web browser they use to judge how successful they will be at a job.

Brand-name retailers purchase "risk scores" from Retail Equation to help make judgments about whether consumers commit fraud when they return goods for refunds. Players in the gig economy use outside firms such as Sift to score consumers' "overall trustworthiness." Wireless customers predicted to be less profitable are sometimes forced to endure longer customer service hold times.

Auto insurers raise premiums based on scores calculated using information from smartphone apps that track driving styles. Large analytics firms monitor whether we are likely to take our medication based on our propensity to refill our prescriptions; pharmaceutical companies, health-care providers and insurance companies can use those scores to, among other things, "match the right patient investment level to the right patients."

Surveillance scoring is the product of two trends. First is the rampant (and mostly unregulated) collection of every intimate detail about our lives, amassed by the nanosecond from smartphones to cars, toasters to toys. This fire hose of data - most of which we surrender voluntarily - includes our demographics, income, facial characteristics, the sound of our voice, our precise location, shopping history, medical conditions, genetic information, what we search for on the Internet, the websites we visit, when we read an email, what apps we use and how long we use them, and how often we sleep, exercise and the like.

The second trend driving these scores is the arrival of technologies able to instantaneously crunch this data: exponentially more powerful computers and high-speed communications systems such as 5G, which lead to the scoring algorithms that use artificial intelligence to rate all of us in some way.

·
Rational Anarchist
13,938 Posts
I figured as much.

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
Started with credit scores; when the internet became ubiquitous "cookies" came along, this is just evolution of a total surveillance society. There's a Brit crime drama "THE CAPTURE" that has total surveillance - and its misuse / ease of manipulation with computer software to depict crimes that never happened. "THE CAPTURE" refers to the capture of pictures and / or video to solve a crime (one that never happened). Not the best series but it got my attention. I've been told by an acquaintance who traveled to Great Britain before COVID that upon entry into GB foreigners must declare where they will stay and for how long (this was mid 2019). Their luggage was delayed so all they had was carry-on luggage, backpacks. They decided to sight see a bit instead of going to the hotel. When they finally got to the hotel that evening, a police officer was waiting for them. Asked them why they "failed" to check in to their reserved hotel. These are about the whitest rednecks you can imagine, not like they fit some terrorist "profile" (at least not in GB). My acquaintance said they were under total video and sometimes audio surveillance from the time they arrived in GB until they reached their hotel room. Police could have played a video of every step they took, literally, from the moment they entered the concourse at Heathrow. Coming soon to your home town.

·
Registered
14,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Started with credit scores; when the internet became ubiquitous "cookies" came along, this is just evolution of a total surveillance society. There's a Brit crime drama "THE CAPTURE" that has total surveillance - and its misuse / ease of manipulation with computer software to depict crimes that never happened. "THE CAPTURE" refers to the capture of pictures and / or video to solve a crime (one that never happened). Not the best series but it got my attention. I've been told by an acquaintance who traveled to Great Britain before COVID that upon entry into GB foreigners must declare where they will stay and for how long (this was mid 2019). Their luggage was delayed so all they had was carry-on luggage, backpacks. They decided to sight see a bit instead of going to the hotel. When they finally got to the hotel that evening, a police officer was waiting for them. Asked them why they "failed" to check in to their reserved hotel. These are about the whitest rednecks you can imagine, not like they fit some terrorist "profile" (at least not in GB). My acquaintance said they were under total video and sometimes audio surveillance from the time they arrived in GB until they reached their hotel room. Police could have played a video of every step they took, literally, from the moment they entered the concourse at Heathrow. Coming soon to your home town.
You can run, but you can't hide. If you deviate from your established "profile" that in itself will raise a flag on the "system".

·
Registered
14,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
dup

·
μολὼν λαβέ
34,674 Posts
Got a smart anything? Hell bought a new AC window unit for the bedroom only to realize after the fact it is wireless and can be controlled by a cell phone app. And I always heard they can hack your electronics right threw the power line to it.

·
Registered
14,899 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Got a smart anything? Hell bought a new AC window unit for the bedroom only to realize after the fact it is wireless and can be controlled by a cell phone app. And I always heard they can hack your electronics right threw the power line to it.
Doesn't even need to be anything "smart". Use credit or debit card for anything? Patronize any retail business (including gas stations) in the last 5 years? Drive a car? Walk down the street? Have a club card for SAMs/Costco, etc.? Cable or Sat TV? Get on the net? (of course you do) And about a 1000 other ways to work up a profile of YOU.

·
Gatekeeper to my corner of Hell.
19,636 Posts
Friday I was going to the cancer center for chemo, got in my truck and was putting my phone in a cup holder and it beeped I had a new notification. So I checked it, the notification said it would take me 19 minutes to get to Jackson Oncology...lol It knew where I was going.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
So I checked it, the notification said it would take me 19 minutes to get to Jackson Oncology...lol It knew where I was going.
I hate that stuff. Try to turn it all off, but really no way to have privacy anymore if someone wants to follow you. I'd hate being famous in anyway.

·
Registered
9,823 Posts
Using the power line for fine spying or control, I rather doubt. I worked for a large utility service corporation over 40 years ago and they had been trying for years and were still trying to just read meters over the lines. It never worked properly. AFAIK, they never perfected it and they've been trying to cash in on the Internet ISP market using power lines for years now too, but I still haven't seen any power companies offering it. All the conversions through transformers and such probably messes it up. It wasn't a problem that (AFAIK) Tesla was tying to solve and I believe nearly everything in the power industry, from AC power itself, to generators, to electric motors are essentially based upon Tesla's designs.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
34,674 Posts
Using the power line for fine spying or control, I rather doubt. I worked for a large utility service corporation over 40 years ago and they had been trying for years and were still trying to just read meters over the lines. It never worked properly. AFAIK, they never perfected it and they've been trying to cash in on the Internet ISP market using power lines for years now too, but I still haven't seen any power companies offering it. All the conversions through transformers and such probably messes it up. It wasn't a problem that (AFAIK) Tesla was tying to solve and I believe nearly everything in the power industry, from AC power itself, to generators, to electric motors are essentially based upon Tesla's designs.
Could be, but I do know most all meters are digital now and don't require a person to turn on , off or read. So guess they doing something ?
If you can run PoE, I would guess someone might have figured something out to do it over power lines by now, or not.

Would help explain why my main tv turns itself on and off at odd times, LOL.

Reactions: maxhush

·
μολὼν λαβέ
34,674 Posts
This is probably what they was referring to or something similar. I would also expect the Gov to have more technology than a power company.

·
Registered
547 Posts
The best way to stay off of the grid is just that.
Find a source of renewable energy, whether solar or water powered, without a back-feed to the grid.
Purchase everything with cash or gift/Visa cards purchased with cash. (have someone purchase them for you)
Purchase throw away phones only. Use them for data and calls...do not use them from your residence. Purchase multiple devices at a time and NEVER renew the service.
Burn all trash especially any with personal identifying information.
Change your license plates a couple times a year...(Excuse-You lost your other one) Order MWMWMW type plates as they are hard to read and remember.
If you are clean shaven, grow a long beard and grow you hair for your State DL then go back to clean. (or the opposite...which ever works for you) Opt to renew your DL online if the service is available. Only carry your DL when driving. Drive as little as possible and hitch a ride if you can.
Most homeless people stay off of the grid because law enforcement has no way to ID them if they have a clean record.
OK...all the info above is for the people who really don't want bothered by society.
The best thing that you can do is keep your nose clean/ out of jail and "Opt Out" of everything that you can possibly can.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts