Mississippi Gun Owners banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Premium Member
14,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've never collected any of the foreign military rifles but I found one today at a pawn shop that I may buy. It was a bolt-action marked Carl Gustaf 1920 on the top of the receiver ring. All the numbers I found on it matched. It has a threaded barrel. It was in very good condition and the bore looked good. The price tag on it just said "Mauser, 7.62 caliber". From the pictures I've found on the internet I believe it's a model 96, but everything I read says they were all 6.5x55. Were any made in 7.62 or do you think they have marked it wrong? They are holding it for me till Monday. When I go back I'm going to take a 6.5 and .30 bullet with me to see which fits the bore. Is there anything I should check before I buy it? And most importantly, what is the average value of a good condition model 96? They are asking $100 for it. Thanks in advance.

· Registered
5,372 Posts
Jump on it. There were a few 96's converted to 7x57mm and a few commercially converted to .30-06. It probably is a 6.5x55mm. It is one of the most accurate military rifles ever manufactured and usually sell for $400+. AS always, the headspace should be checked before firing. I have the gauges in McComb.

I wrote a 200 page book on Swedish Military Rifles. It is called "Neutrality through Marksmanship". I have a few copies available for sale. There is a lot of shooting info in the book as well as historical information.

Doug Bowser
601-341-8797

· Registered
5,000 Posts
I know you're gonna buy it...but if not , let me know where it is. I've got to get over my aversion to pawn shops...you find some nice stuff.

· Waffennarr
8,901 Posts
BUY IT! and it you don't, tell me where it is, I will be there...
seriously, check closer for the import mark. Probably near the muzzle, will be Century Arms, will be "CAI" or similar, and the caliber, "6.5 Swedish". If it was converted to another caliber it would have to be stamped somewhere. And when you get it, have Doug Bowser check it out. As stated, he literally wrote the first US book on the Swedes and is one of the few people in the USA who can legitimately be called "experts" on the Swedish Mauser rifles. He will gauge it for you and tell you who inspected it before it left the factory.

· Premium Member
14,289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the info. It looks like I will be loading for another caliber. What's one more when you already load about 30 different ones.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.