close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Synthetic oil in my new car?

Discussion in 'General Off Topic' started by Jarhead5811, May 7, 2016.

Should I use synthetic oil in my new car?

1. Yes

23 vote(s)
    92.0%
  2. No

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  3. What?

1 vote(s)
    4.0%
  1. Jarhead5811

Jarhead5811 Rational Anarchist MSGO Supporter

I drive 180 miles every work day (five or six days a week) and being my old ride was getting a little long in the tooth I just picked up a new 2015 Nissan Versa SV with CVT. So far, after almost three thousand miles, I'm getting slightly better than 41 mpg, which is a great improvement over the 29 mpg I had been getting in my old ride. Anyway, I'm gonna change my oil for the first time pretty soon and I've been wondering if it'd be worth it to switch to synthetic.

What do ya'll think?

Do I need to do anything special to swap over?

2. fordpkup

fordpkup Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

My son's car came with and is to use recommended synthetic.

3. Sum Gy Custom Firearms

Sum Gy Custom Firearms Distinguished Poster

I have run synthetic in everything for years and yes I have gotten better mileage and it has not been uncommon for me to get 300 plus 1000 miles without any problems on several different types and brands of vehicles including a 1 ton dodge that went 528K on the original engine and as far as I know is still running til this day!!

rebel4ever and Jarhead5811 like this.
  4. fordpkup

I think with synthetic oil his oil changes are 5 or 6 thousand miles apart.

5. TippersDad

TippersDad Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Yep, plan on paying twice the cost of an oil change over conventional oil.

You'll also be able to find any premature oil leaks that wouldn't otherwise show up.

Ultimately, up to you, but unless the manual called for synthetic, I'd give it at least20-30,000 miles for a good break-in.

Rings and other mating surfaces won't "self-lap" themselves very well with syn.

I'm not a syn. hater. I used it in my '08 Impala from 80,000 until my last oil change at 130,000.

At about 110,000, oil spots began to appear on my driveway.

I expected the worse, but it turned out that the leak was from a gasket/seal where the oil filter adapter bolted up to the block.
    Reason...synthetic oil will eventually clean out deposits and squeeze through even the tiniest spaces.
    I went back to conventional and I guess the gasket has "swelled" back. My leak stopped.

Today's cars go much further between oil changes. My manual says 5000 miles between changes and it's an '08.

Do a search for syn. vs. conventional oil. The overwhelming consensus is in favor of conventional unless there are out-of-the-ordinary circumstances.

6. Sum Gy Custom Firearms

Sum Gy Custom Firearms Distinguished Poster

Never had any of the above issues but then again I ran synthetic from the first oil change on. I also always changed mine in vehicles at no more than 3000 miles. We had 7 small air cooled welders with Onan engines and factory told us we could expect 1500 hours of engine life. We changed the oil and filters every 75 hours and many of the engines were still running strong after the generators had worn out. If I remember right we only had one engine go out in lass than 4000 hours and I still have one with nearly 5000 hours on it and it still runs great.

7. bubbat

bubbat Gate Keeper to my corner of Hell

Clinton
    I have run synthetic forever, used Amsoil till Moblie 1 came out. Always swap at first oil change. Then change filter and add a quart at 5k miles and change oil and new filter at 10k miles.

steve2112, Jarhead5811 and fordpkup like this.
  8. mascott

mascott Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Your manual may state that it is required! They can and will void the warranty.

9. Blondie70

Blondie70 Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

One would probably be wise to follow the mfg recommendations for the oil and interval.

10. rebel4ever

rebel4ever I'll Play Dixie If I Want To MSGO Supporter

Call your dealer. My silverado came with synthetic. The myth that if you go synthetic you will always have to run synthetici a bunch of baloney.(unless the vehicle calls for synthetic) I talked to a guy the other day that said he uses the cheapest oil he can find no matter what brand it is, he said he uses re-refined recycled oil when he can find it.

11. fordpkup

I knew a guy that change the filter and added one quart of oil at every change. He used re-refined oil. He never did a real oil change.

12. burninfilm

burninfilm Distinguished Poster

Wife's car (Honda) requires 0W20, which only comes in synthetic. Computer tells us to change somewhere between 9000-10,000 miles. I use Mobil 1 5W-20 extended service in my F150 5.4. Mobil says it's good for 15,000 miles. I used Castrol before I switched and used a quart between oil changes at 5,000. Since I changed to Mobil 1 two extended changes ago, I have not used any oil at all.

13. senilking

senilking Distinguished Poster

Pontotoc
    Are you changing your own oil? That might mess any warranties you have up. I'm in the same boat, same car, driving 100+ miles each day. I went to synthetic in my truck because I was tired of changing the oil every month. 180 miles 5 times a day means you hit 3000 miles every 3rd or 4th week. I think the Versa's come with synthetic in them, but we get free oil changes and maintenance at the Nissan dealership, so I'm actually just letting them do what they want for the first time in my life.

Lol, our recommended 6,000 or 6 month oil change on the other car hits at least every 2 months if we don't do any extra driving.

Oh, and if you change your own oil you probably already know this, but you can get some pretty sweet deals at Advanced Auto and I'm sure the other parts houses about once a month of each major brand of oil, and usually get a decent filter too. I usually didn't hardly pay anymore for synthetic oil than regular oil.

14. Jarhead5811

Jarhead5811 Rational Anarchist MSGO Supporter

I do change my oil myself. I thought most people did?

15. Dave

Dave Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Personally I would let the Dealer make the first oil and filter change and check everything over. On the next change I would use Mobile 1. Only been using it in every vehicle since around '87. Getting the right weight of oil for the vehicle is needed. I change oil around 5k but if I messed up and it went 10 not a problem. I normally switch to their high mileage formula around 200k. Never had a motor problem beyond replacing O2 sensors.

You do want to use what the manufacture recommends for the first oil change to get the rings to seat properly. After that I want the least amount of wear I can get. I even got over 200k on a Geo Metro 1.0 liter motor with Moble 1 and it still didn't use more than 1/2 quart of oil every 5k when I sold it.

16. idriller

idriller Distinguished Poster

17. Southern Reloading

Southern Reloading Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Hey Jarhead! We can send you a couple gallons of Sum Guy Lube!!! That thing will purr like a little kitten and get 100 mpg!!!!

18. mascott

mascott Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Did you ever get the price for a quart?

19. Boudreaux

Boudreaux ULTIMATE WEAPON THE GLOCK IS....FAIL IT DOES NOT

I always swap over to synthetic at the first oil change and perform my own oil changes. Just had the pistons and rings changed under warranty on my 2013 Silverado at 59k miles for oil consumption. They never asked what type of oil I used.

20. Southern Reloading

Southern Reloading Distinguished Poster MSGO Supporter

Still working on that Mascott!