Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked this up a few weeks ago. It has a "Super 14" barrel in 7 TCU. The sights were loose so I pulled them in favor of the 4x Luepold. It had a plastic grip on it that I swapped for the wood grip. Gonna try to take a deer with it this season if I can get it sighted in.

IMG_7719.JPG

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haha i've loved em for a long time. Hardly ever see em pop up for sale tho. After looking for months, you find me the 7, then right after the 357 comes up.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I really enjoy mine. Have a 6.8SPC and .44mag in Super 14" . Both wear red dots, and I only shoot at bow distances 'cause I just can't see through those long eye relief scopes. Have killed 4 or 5 deer with them. Great fun!

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
When you get ready to trade one, let me know. I wanted a Contender but settled with a new TC Pro Hunter pistol in 7mm08.

Reactions: Joe S.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
35,905 Posts
A Contender has been on the list for 30 years. Congrats
/This always loved them and wanted one. Just for some reason never pulled the trigger on it.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
I'm glad those came together for you, Joe. You'll enjoy them. The only problem with Contenders is they usually lead to more Contenders. That's ok though. A man can have worse habits.

Hunting with them can be a challenge (in a good way). You know your way around large handguns so you'll take to it like a duck to water. I'm thinking very seriously about devoting myself exclusively to the 30 Herrett when cold weather gets here.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
35,905 Posts
I like the Encores for their strength but love the compact size of the Contender. The 7-08 would be a nice round in a pistol i think.
That sounds like it would be a good choice for one.

·
Registered
6,349 Posts
Yes, if I run across a 30 Herrett I would jump on it. The brass is a pain to make but once you have done 3-400 rounds you're set.
I've been shooting 30 Herrett for 3 or 4 years and really enjoy it. To me, it seems more enjoyable than any other pistol barrel I have. The brass is a pain but I've made up plenty and still have more 30-30 Win brass than any normal person could ever use. It shoots light bullets extremely well. It'll shoot 3 holes touching at 100 yrds with a 125gr Speer Hor-Cor HP. But, alas, Speer has discontinued the bullet. Now I've got to start over.

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Look at the 125 grain Sierra game king. I have a good luck with that in a single shot 3030.

·
μολὼν λαβέ
35,905 Posts
Look at the 125 grain Sierra game king. I have a good luck with that in a single shot 3030.
Oh now that would be a chambering I would really love to have in one. Plenty of factory ammo choices and reloading components should be plentiful also.

·
Registered
9,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The 30-30 is a nice round for these guns! This one belongs to a buddy. Very nice to shoot with cast bullets loaded with trail boss. But a real contender (pardon the pun) with factory or hand loaded hunting ammo.

IMG_7728.JPG

·
μολὼν λαβέ
35,905 Posts
The 30-30 is a nice round for these guns! This one belongs to a buddy. Very nice to shoot with cast bullets loaded with trail boss. But a real contender (pardon the pun) with factory or hand loaded hunting ammo.

View attachment 61528
Sweet thats a fancy rig there. Is that a 10" barrel?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts