Mississippi Gun Owners banner

T/C Venture opinion

2K views 21 replies 11 participants last post by  Fish_Head 
#1 ·
I am looking around some and saw a decent price on a TC Venture bolt-action. I know everyone loves the Savages and Rem 700's. What is the general opinion on the TC Venture? I have a 700 that I like, and a Ruger 77 I don't really like, so I was leaning toward the 700 until I read all the Savage good news. This would be for deer hunting, and I am looking for another 7MM-08.
Thanks!

#8 ·
I have one in 7-08 and it is really nice. My Ruger M77 in the same caliber doesn't hold a candle to the TC. I reloaded some ammo after dusting off my Dillon, getting all geared up, and it shot a 1/2" group at 100 yards with 140 gr bullets. Now i am going to try some 120 gr Barnes reloads and see what i can cook up.
I am seriously thinking about getting a second one now. With what you save, you can get a better scope. Mine is a Leupold VXII 3-9, and the next may be a higher powered scope. The targets seem to be getting smaller as I get older.

#10 ·
TC Venture

My only experience with that rifle is with a friend of mine. His is 30.06 with the synthetic stock. I helped him zero it and was VERY impressed with it. It will easily shoot .5 MOA with remington 165 grain core-lokts. Not very many stock rifles out there that will do that right out of the box.

Sorry about your complaint about the Ruger. It seems to be a common failing in my experience. Keep looking for the right ammunition (brand). Rugers have a reputation of being one round (type) rifles.

#11 ·
I own a Ruger mkII in 25/06, Savage in .243 and .308. I got to fire a Venture in the .223. Trigger pull was really nice. I loved the 60 degree Bolt throw. If I could afford another rifle, I would seriouly consider the TC Venture. I shot less than MOA and I had never fired this Rifle before.

#12 ·
I have a T/C Icon in .243, and it is a excellent rifle, smooth trigger, extremely accurate...the Venture has some minor difference in the bolt design and a polymer stock but it is essentially the same as the Icon, and a couple of hundred $ less in price...I would imagine it is comparable to a Savage Weather Warrior...next time I'm shopping for a rifle it will most likely be either a T/C Venture or a Savage...both are great rifles.

#13 ·
I shot some different 7-08 loads in the Ruger and Venture yesterday, and the same results- Venture tack driver, Ruger not good. I want to try the Ruger with a lead sled to see if it really is the rifle, or me. I think it may be the scope. It's a BSA and I don't like it either. I just don't want to swap scopes and have it still shoot poorly.

#16 ·
Hey Fish

Let me know if you want me to take that Ruger POS off your hands

My 280 Rem M77 needs a room mate

Have seen the TC ICON when they first came out...but wasn't gonna take a chance on one....have not seen the Venture

100 yard groups are ez....show us some at 300

#17 ·
I know I my self have an M77 7mag with a leupold rifleman
an it shoots as good as my custom built .270 at 100 yds

never shot a venture

rule of thumb for me!
A rifle is only as good as its optics
optics are only as good as the mounts

my advice check scope an mounts before you kick it to the curb

#18 ·
I have taken some deer at 225 or so. I suppose I might shoot 300, but it would have to be a good setup, or I'd pass. Part of the deal is getting within shooting range. All I can say is the Venture shoots at least as well as I can, under 1/2 inch at 100 yds, so I'm very satisfied with it.

The M77, as was already stated, may be a victim of poor marksmanship, or poor quality optics, or both. Or maybe there's an issue like the bedding or something. It will definitely kill deer at less than 200, with several deer taken to its credit, just never groups like it should. My oldest likes it so we will see but I plan on working on it some more. I'm in pretty decent shape on the rifles, just not satisfied with that Ruger. I have a rifle for sale in the classifieds, and may get a new rifle if that works out. Now I am gonna get back into my 44 mags :) some. Dusting off a lot of stuff.

#20 ·
I got the Venture back, without too much hassle. Might improve their communication on what the Eta is. While it was gone on vacation, I installed the Leupold scope off it on the aforementioned M77 Ruger. Lo and Behold! It now shoots quite well. The BSA is now on the Venture, which is in timeout. It will get a chance, but is now behind the 700Sps and M77. The Rem 700 Sps shoots fine, of course. I think I will be able to trust the venture again, but it will have to earn it, next year. If it doesn't shoot well now, the scope is most of the blame, since it did great before.

#22 ·
Well, for posterity's sake, I will finish the thread with- the Venture is back with the BSA scope on it, and it shoots well.

Need to work with it some more but it is good based on shooting today with various reloads. And the BSA scope, although the glass is not as good, seems fine now.
So, its all good now. I just need a spotting scope if I'm gonna shoot this much.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.