Mississippi Gun Owners banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know much about the Taurus Judge? I have read reviews and watched YouTube videos about them and as much as I want one I can't commit to buy. I held one recently at a gun show and they are massive and not practical to carry being there's no way to be sure all pellets from a single shot would hit the intended target and not passer by. And do they make a public defender in a 3 in. magnum model or all in the 2 1/2 in. ?

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
I own one and I have to disagree with the " gimmick" label. I live in an apartment and it is perfect for my situation. Have practiced with the pistol and for a shortrange HD weapon it's great. In addition, I like to bring it along while traveling. Too big to carry but works well in a car or confined area.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah that was my thought about it being a good HD weapon and it definatly has the intimidation factor being a Goliath. But and don't know if I should just save a bit more and buy a s&w or springfield 1911. But the thing so much of a cool factor that I just want one. Lol

·
Registered
388 Posts
IMO you would be much better armed with a 1911. Although the judge does have its uses, I would not rely on it for self defense. Of course, this is just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
If you only get one buy the 1911. It's a lot more versatile. Like nhstk02 said it does have it's uses and it all depends on your situation.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
I think you have to ask yourself what you will be using it for. It is certainly being promoted as a BIG BAD GUN with all the watermelon blasting and all on tv every 15 minutes. I can see how it could be considered a gimmick. So many guns are being promoted this way nowadays. However, I have shot a friend's several times, and it is most definitely not a gimmick. I would have no problem using one for home defense. The 3 buckshot pellets are awesome at say 10' to 15', and the .410 slugs or .45 colts are mean as well. I can't say I would use it as an EDC, that wouldn't be practical. But as I said, in certain situations it would be nice to have. Just my :2c:

·
Registered
15,490 Posts
I would only have trusted my judge(6.5") as a snake or maybe a squirrel gun....in a pinch it would do I suppose.....but I never had the confidence in it's stopping power of the .410, especially after going through a whole box of shells trying to knock over one plate at the range on day, and that was finally accomplished from about 5' away...and your average human target isn't going to have a hinge. Now in the short barrel configuration with the 3" mag buck shot....I would think it would make an acceptable car gun....but that's as close to a SD gun as I would consider it.

I eventually got over the cool factor and sold mine to my cousin.

Oh and .45lcs are not cheap

·
Premium Member
855 Posts
:clap:

·
Registered
4,912 Posts
If you're thinking .410 for HD, how about a Mossberg cruiser. Has a pistol grip, 18" barrel, 7 or 8 round mag. Run about $350. I like the idea of more rounds. I would think follow-up shots would be better too.

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Son got one in a multigun trade but sold it a couple weeks later. Just couldn't find a use for it. I would have gotten it from him to take camping when we go in the woods but he said it wasn't even good for that. FYI - don't buy one new, they drop a whole lot in value from what I've seen.

·
Registered
9,221 Posts
Buddy of mine got the public defender for a couple hundred used. Sweet deal.

Uses:
Snake gun
Truck gun
Personal protection with quality loads, IMO. The pdx1 shells are good.
Nice for the woods. Bird shot for snakes, 45lc for feral animals.

Lot of people are snobs against them but I don't have a problem with them. I don't own one, but I don't dislike them. Just haven't gotten around to getting one yet.

I agree. Buy used.

The cons I see with it is:
Harder to conceal than a snub nosed 38. But very doable with the public defender. Even pocket carry works.
The 45lc and good 410 shells are hard to find because of the gun's popularity.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All very valid tips guys. It's not so much a case of buying one or the other. I've got the fever lol so I'll eventually get both. But yeah I couldn't see my self coming off that much money for a gun that doesn't have a dedicated purpose. Any tips on a 1911 I don't own one yet but I'm thinking between a smith, springfield, or para. But I'm leaning toward the Springfield.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
I don't think the Judge has an accuracy level in .45 Colt that would suit me. I have fired one and that one did not. The long jump from cylinder to barrel throat would preclude the .45 Colt option from being accurate.

As far as a house gun is concerned, my Stevens Double 12 ga or Remington 870 12 ga with 20" barrel are vastly superior to a .410.

Doug Bowser

·
Registered
9,221 Posts
Para is not the quality they were back in the 90s.

S&w uses external extractors which is not original to 1911s design. And the machining I've seen on the couple I've handled has been sloppy.

Can never go wrong with springfield. That's what I'd get. Or colt.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts